Getting started!

Henry89

I want to start the HST workout but I'm a little overwhelmed with what exercises to pick and how many I should be using.  Do I pick one exercise from this list?  If so I'm looking at 12 or more exercises.  Can someone show me the light?  I'm not a noob to weight lifting but just been out of it for a few months and want a routine that works.  Thanks!

<div>
(Henry89 @ Jan. 17 2007,02:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I want to start the HST workout but I'm a little overwhelmed with what exercises to pick and how many I should be using.  Do I pick one exercise from this list?  If so I'm looking at 12 or more exercises.  Can someone show me the light?  I'm not a noob to weight lifting but just been out of it for a few months and want a routine that works.  Thanks!</div>
I wasn't a noob when I started HST, and I used that list. I'm still using it, with just some slight modifications (i don't do the biceps or abs portion, and most of the time only do flyes for chest). You'll wind up making modifications too, but that list is an excellent model.

A good starting point is to pick compounds that work your entire body thoroughly and that allow you to handle plenty of weight so you can progress the loads well. Then add in some isos as necessary/desired if you have the time.

Oly squats are a good movement for the entire leg.

Deads cover pretty much your entire back and legs plus your forearms get a good blasting too.

Bench and dips are great for chest and tris.

Chins and rows are great for upper, centre and lower back, bis and forearms.

Presses and shrugs cover your delts and traps.

Then you could add in arm isos, calf and ab work as necessary.

Just bear in mind that they are already being worked to some degree with the compounds, so you may not need to add extra work unless you need to bring up a lagging body part. Most important thing is to get your big lifts progressing each cycle.

Read this thread for more opinions and advice on setting up a good routine:

Simplify &amp; Win!

Thanks for the feedback! A good starting point. For the rows should I do DB, seated or uprights? Also is okay to do deads and squats in the same day? I kind of have an idea what weight to start with but since I've been out of it for a few months, should I take a week and determine my 15, 10 &amp; 5 1RM? Thanks!

Bent over row or pendalay row if possible. If not, do seated rows.

My lift preferences are almost the same as the first lift given.

I do squat, dead, bench, row, overhead press, pullup, and cable crunch. Can't give up my ab work.

Funny story about abs I just have to throw in, can't resist.  When I started to get serious about bbing, I was lucky enough to have bought a book where the author told the truth about abs, and that the only way to make them show up was to lose fat, so I never worked on them.  Anyway, I went overboard on bulking and wound up a fat ass with a 44&quot; waist, and I loved squats (still do).  

I was still going to a public gym at the time, and was asked by a kid who worked on nothing but biceps and abs why I never did any situps or crunches.  According to him, that was one of the reasons why I was so fat.  So, one day I had enough of his advice, and decided to see if I could do any crunches on a decline bench with him.  I had never worked abs, so I thought I wouldn't even be able to do one, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The crunches were a joke to me.  I couldn't believe that I was this big fat ass and I could just sit motionless halfway up on this decline board with plates in my lap like it was nothing.   I smoked this kid.  It felt like I could have done crunches and situps all day without stopping. I had no idea how thick and strong my abs were because I couldn't see them.   He just stood there wide eyed and I couldn't stop laughing.  I was really surprised.   Could have done them all day.

laugh.gif

That is pretty darn funny Steve! Did you explain to him why your abs were so strong?

That is funny, and true - direct ab work isn't always mandatory. I do ab work twice a week because I like it.

When I was so fat, my goal was to see my abs. Now that I have them, I want to keep them. If they get too big from doing the direct work from my other stuff - that's fine with me. I look fat in a shirt, but when I take it off, it's not too bad.

Since abs are part of your core, they are the front half of your &quot;built in weight belt&quot; we were all born with, and because I don't have time to belt up in real life when someone heavy is very sick or injured and has to be moved NOW, I want mine as strong as I can make them.

Trying to build a GH gut without the GH.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 18 2007,12:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
laugh.gif

That is pretty darn funny Steve!  Did you explain to him why your abs were so strong?</div>
not at the time...I was just as surprised as he was !

Back