Going from 3 days to 6 days a week?

HappyScrappy

I'm in the middle of first HST routine, and I'm finding that the workouts are getting to be a bit longer (about an hour or so in the middle of the 10's).

I was wondering if I could split my workouts in half, and alternate days doing 6 per week, instead of 3 per week.

My routine right now is:

squat
stiff leg deads
incline bench
bent over rows
dips
pulldowns
shoulder press
upright rows
closegrip bench
incline curls
shrugs
calve raises

What I was thinking was:
A: (S/T/T)
squats
stiff leg deads
bent over rows
pulldowns
incline curls
shrugs

B: (M/W/F)
incline bench
dips
shoulder press
upright rows
closegrip bench
calves
abs

So I'm doing essentially the same routine, just spread over more days. Would this be a big mistake? It would cut my training time in half, and I feel I would get more out of a workout by being fresh when starting the B workout. Or am I screwing myself by not having a day off in between workouts?

If this is ok to proceed with, have I split the routine up adequately? I tried to keep all the compounds that hit the same muscle groups on the same days. The only overlap would be upright rows hitting my traps to a small degree. I may drop them anyways.

And, get rid of the upright rows before you end up with joint or rotator cuff problems.

Move shrugs to B. Calves or Abs can stay in B or be moved to A if you are trying to balance your workouts timewise.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 25 2006,15:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like your routine, but I would do deadlifts on day B.</div>
If I put deadlifts with workout B, then my back would be getting hit every day. That seems like a bit much.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jun. 25 2006,16:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And, get rid of the upright rows before you end up with joint or rotator cuff problems.

Move shrugs to B. Calves or Abs can stay in B or be moved to A if you are trying to balance your workouts timewise.</div>
Why not keep shrugs with the rest of my back workout? If I did move them to workout B, then they're getting hit every day (the rows in workout A, and the shrugs in workout B). They wouldn't get 48 hours of rest.

Splitting up the workout is very smart, assuming you're not reducing frequency -- which you clearly aren't. GOOD!
biggrin.gif

In my situation, I do palnned HST every other day (slightly more frequent than 3x per week) and cardio on the other days. Since the lifting was longer in duration than the cardio, I moved abs and arm iso work to the cariod day as well. Now, each workout has been around 45 minutes. Just about perfect for me. It turns out that I really enjoy this setup.

I work traps with shoulders and not back.

Also, 48 hours is the maximum you should go between working body parts as that is when protein synthesis wanes. There is nothing wrong with working bodyparts evet 36, 24 or even every 12 hours as long as the volume is not too high. Besides rows are only going to lightly work traps. Shoulder presses will work them more directly than rows.

I know that I have worked out everyday HST style...and though it was fun...and great for cutting...I dont know if the increased frequency to that degree was the best thing.

As far as increased frequency goes...I think increasing frequency and still having a rest day inbetween is optimal.

How do you do that? By having morning and afternoon session...and by eating proper foods!

Back