Going to try HST for the first time.

Water

I've been reading up on HST for the past week and thinking about giving it a try. My only question is, what do you do after your first cycle of HST training? I know you do the "Strategic Deconditioning" thing for about 1-2 weeks, but when you start back your cycle to you do the same weight, add a couple of pounds or max out again? Thanks!

You can retest your maxes after your cycle and before you SD. Or, you can just add some weight and figure it out as you go.

SD should be at least 10 days. Chiefhog's suggestion is a good one. In my experience sometimes the weights go up, sometimes they don't, some times they shoot-up. And every muscle group is different. Sometimes I increase it a little -- but as you get into the next cycle you may find it needs to be increased more or drop back and increase it less.... it is all by feel.

Or follow what was clearly mentioned in the HST summary- just add 5-10 pounds per lift. OR 5-10%. You'll figure it out.

What about negatives, how are people doing these? I mean I know what negatives are, but how are people using them in this program.

There are many ways you can do the negatives.. if you have a training partner, then you can do a microcycle that consist of the rep range of 1's to 3's. If you don't, you may still be able to do 3's, but you have to be careful. A lot of people who lift solo continue on with their 5RM and that will still provide hypertrophy without the progression due to the microtrauma to the muscle. You can even progress on the 5RM by doing partials and drop sets.

Hmmm, water - I'm gonna drink some now.

-Colby

Certain few exercises can also be adapted for negatives safely even without a partner. Dumbbelll curls for example, using one arm at a time. Use both hands to lift the weight up, then lower it slowly with one hand. You get the idea.

When dealing with very heavy weight, just remember, be very careful.

Back