good article on bodyweight training

Gymnasts do have a very aesthetically pleasing look. And they don't have to weigh 200 plus pounds to look like that.

This is why we do Dips and Chins!
cool.gif

Is it true what he says in the article? That gymnasts have superior strength? And the reason is the high tension required by the total body exercises they do?

That was extremely interesting! I found this to be the most pertinent in our case:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sommer: For the competitive athlete or the real life athlete (military, police, firemen, etc.) training to failure isn't only unnecessary, it's counterproductive. An athlete needs to be able to successfully perform day after day, not just once a week. Can you imagine a soldier unable to chase someone down simply because his legs are fried from the day before?
For similar reasons, my athletes follow a very gradual training cycle where they encounter overload, then adaptation, then a recovery phase. For each athlete the cycle will differ somewhat in length from at least three weeks to as many as twelve weeks depending on their individual recovery abilities. </div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sommer: For the competitive athlete or the real life athlete (military, police, firemen, etc.) training to failure isn't only unnecessary, it's counterproductive. An athlete needs to be able to successfully perform day after day, not just once a week. Can you imagine a soldier unable to chase someone down simply because his legs are fried from the day before?
For similar reasons, my athletes follow a very gradual training cycle where they encounter overload, then adaptation, then a recovery phase. For each athlete the cycle will differ somewhat in length from at least three weeks to as many as twelve weeks depending on their individual recovery abilities.</div>

I think gymnasts, and those alike, would be attracted to HST simply by realizing such a conclusion about training to failure.

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 10 2008,10:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it true what he says in the article?  That gymnasts have superior strength?  And the reason is the high tension required by the total body exercises they do?</div>
I dont know about superior strength but creating the high tension (strong core) is a fundamental requirement. You cant lift a weight that your core cannot support during jerk or acceleration. Try experimenting with it yourself. Stay somewhat loose and try to do you 5rm OHP. Take a brief rest then try it again squeezing all your muscles like you are going for a 1RM. It should be noticably easier to lift the weight since more power is going into moving the weight in the proper path instead of being lost to wobbling.

Also from what I understand squeezing all your muscles sort of &quot;overcharges&quot; your CNS, giving you a bit more strength.

Back