Hello all

Sparky

Just wanted to say hello to all on this forum. I'm a newbie here but certainly not a newbie to training. I became aware of this site and the HST style of training through the ironage.us website.

What I have read has intrigued me and I'm on my first cycle, about to start my 3rd day of 15's.

I've been bodybuilding virtually my entire life and competed in the 1980's with some degree of success. Like so many other I followed the standard split routines popular in the magazines that entire time.

I'm 46 now and just started back training again in April after the longest layoff of my life, close to 2 years. Again I went back to the standard 3 day split routine, getting the entire body in once a week. I was never one to do a lot of sets per bodypart (except when I was really young). Typically 12 sets for the large muscle groups and 6-8 for the smaller groups.

Of course after a layoff that long I made some good progress over the first few months, although I will admit that coming back after such a long layoff at 46 has been a slow process as far as getting some of my exercise poundages back to respectability. I had to check my ego at the door and take it real slow and light at first to avoid injury.

To make a long story short (or even longer) lately I have become frustrated with my progress as I've started to hit the wall a lot sooner then I had expected. I felt I had nothing to lose by trying something radical for the first time in my life, and I became aware of HST at just the right time when I was willing to try something new.

I have to say that the science behind this method of training is very intriguing. I'm going to give it a shot.

I realize that to get the most benefit a period of SD is recommended but I didn't really want to layoff at this point. I realize my first cycle will really be more trial and error as I determine my RM's etc. Just the idea of doing the entire body in one workout 3 times a week will be radical for me.

My exercise selection is as follows (I wanted to keep it very basic for my first cycle). A hip injury some years back keeps my shy of deadlifts and free weight squats although they were a staple in my training for years.

Hack Squats
Leg Curls
Pulldowns
Chest Press (Machine)
Shoulder Press (Machine)
Dumbell Curls
Tricep Extensions (Machine)
Calf raises

You'll also notice that I rely a lot more on machines in my advancing years.

Just doing something radically different for the first time in my life has my excited about my training again.

Here's wishing everyone great success in their training!

Mark

you have a vertical pull (pulldowns) but no horizontal like( b-o-r ) what about dips/chins.

Like I said...very basic...one exercise per bodypart save for legs...

As far as chins are concerned even though I have always been good at them I find it much easier to progress and control the weight progression with pulldowns.

And dips were a staple for me for years but I find they now put too much strain on my shoulders.

At 46 and a lifetime of lifting behind me I know the things I need to avoid to stay healthy.

I think in my second cycle I will include a rowing motion as well as some lateral raises to hit rear and side delt. Chins are still a possibility in the next cycle but dips are out. I may also add incline presses or alternate between incline and the machine press I currently do.

Again, I wanted to keep it very simple first time around, get a feel for my energy levels and workout lengths as I have never done a whole body routine before.

Mark, you are very welcome aboard the HST wagon. Lots of us here are around your age and still making progress.

Having read your post, here are a few observations:

If you have been training again for a few months now and with loads greater than 70% of your 1RM loads then I would definitely SD before starting a fresh HST cycle.

If you have been training with 70% of your 1RMs or below and you really want to skip SD then I would start in the 10s this time around.

However, it sounds to me as if you haven't yet found your 15, 10 and 5RMs for the exercises you have chosen for your cycle, so why not take a week to find them and then take a 9 day SD before kicking off your new cycle?

As far as exercise selection goes, if you aren't able to deadlift or back squat how about using a leg press machine rather than the hack machine? Assuming you have access to one, I think it is a better compound movement than the hack machine. Have you tried front squats? The loads are necessarily lighter than for back squats but they still involve a lot of support muscles.

In order to do each exercise justice (ie. to get enough volume in) you could alternate exercises something like this:

A
Leg press
Chest press
Pulldowns
Shoulder press
Curls

B
Front Squats (or hacks)
Chest press
Rows
Lateral raises
Tricep Extensions
Calf raise

<div>
(Sparky @ Aug. 15 2007,11:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And dips were a staple for me for years but I find they now put too much strain on my shoulders.</div>
Dips were hurting my shoulders, too. The shooting pains were enough to wake me up in the middle of the night.

I have since substituted decline bench presses for dips. Granted they're not as good as dips, but still an excellent compound exercise to hit the sternal pecs.

Free weights offer a number of advantages over machines...

Thanks for the quick responses guys...

Thanks for your suggestions LOL...to each his own...I don't necessarily agree that Leg Press is superior to hacks but I was certainly considering your suggestion of alternating movements and leg press would be one of my choices. I've always considered hacks to provide a fuller range of movement than leg press especially since I always go rock bottom in all my leg movements and as such brings the glutes, hips in more than leg press.

Alternating between shoulder press and lateral raise is also something I have considered.

I like your suggested routine actually LOL...

As far as an SD is concerned I really wanted to keep going with my training at this point. As far as starting at the 10's is concerned I am actually enjoying the 15's. They are a real eye opener and the pump and burn with the strict form is fantastic. You really learn a lot about what you can actually do as far as reps with a given weight.

I believe even without an SD before this first cycle I can still derive some benefit just from the frequency and the change to a whole body workout.

What I might do is just do two weeks or 6 workouts of the 5's (I won't be doing the eccentrics) then rest and start over. By the time I've gone through the learning experience of the first cycle things should pretty much be set for the next one.

I continue to read and learn from this forum...

Thanks guys!

This is exciting stuff...

Welcome aboard Mark!

Not much I'd add after the great Lol has given his opinion, we kinda think alike except for the fact that he moves some hoooge tonnage, but then he is a big boy!

His routine is very much likeable and somewhat more versatile that the one you posted..no offense
cool.gif

A far as SD it is up to you...if you don't do it now at least do it for the next cycle. Pitty about Dips and Chins as I find them almost imperative however one must be cautious and you'd ceratinly know all about that.

It is great to have someone with your experience around and I am sure that after a while your input will become valuable.

About your last statement...this often catches us more experienced guys...you start making progress and liking it...you end up milking the living non-sense out of the 5's, I have personally done 6 weeks, till my joints started &quot;speaking&quot; a little louder than normal
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo...just my two cents worth!
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I believe even without an SD before this first cycle I can still derive some benefit just from the frequency and the change to a whole body workout.</div>
I'm sure you are right but it does depend in part on the volume you were used to doing compared with what you are doing now spread over your weekly sessions.

If the loads you are using for 15s are a lot lighter than those you have been using right up to now then the hypertrophic effect from 15s will probably be minimal but you will likely benefit from their effect on joint health, which comes in handy during the heavier part of the cycle.

I like TunnelRat's idea of doing declines in your machine if that's possible. I'd alternate between flat (or slight incline) and decline if I couldn't do dips.

Sounds like the leg press machine you have access to doesn't have a great range of motion (compared to the hack machine). I found the same thing at my last gym and I didn't like using it. The one at a previous gym was fantastic as it really allowed for a good depth of movement. My knees prefer that. I still think it's worth adding in an alternative quad/glute/ham exercise though.

Like Fausto, I'm looking forward to your comments as we are all here to learn.

All the best.

Hi guys...

Thanks for your input...

Hey LOL the leg press in my gym is the standard 45 degree press you find in every gym. I just feel that a limited range of motion is inherent in all leg presses by virtue of their design. It's not my intention to get into a debate over the merits of hacks versus leg press but I think it's fairly simple to deduce that a leg press has a more limited range of motion than a hack machine just by virtue of the fact that individuals can use hundreds of pounds more in a leg press than a hack. And it's not because a leg press places you in a more advantageous mechanical position.

That said I am not opposed to leg press as an alternative as I mentioned in my previous post as I've done 1000's of them in my time.

As far as loads on my 15's are concerned I would say that the weights I am working up to are getting quite challenging for that rep range. Previously any weights I might have used for 15 reps were merely warmups and I wouldn't consider them to be &quot;working sets&quot;. And even then I probably only employed them on certain leg movements to warm up the knees and certain of my pressing movements for chest and shoulders. So I find myself starting work fairly hard on the 15's and getting some slight soreness in certain bodyparts as a result even though I have not layed off. So I believe I am getting some benefit beyond mere joint recovery and conditioning.

As far as your comment on the current volume relative to my previous split routine I was formerly doing about 6-8 sets for the smaller groups (arms) and between 12-14 for larger groups (chest, back, shoulders). So I would be close to the same volume on the small groups and certainly less volume currently on the larger muscle groups.

Mark

Back