Help with routine

Kiwi

I'm planning to work out 6x per week on the following split routine. Given that working out 6x per week already allows for higher volume than a more basic 3x per week full body routine, I'd just like to check that I'm not taking on too much here. The following exercises are done for 2 worksets, except where shown:

Mon, Wed, Fri

incline DB
wide or narrow pulldown
bench press
t bar row
db shoulder press or lateral raise
seated cable row
bb curl
close grip bench or pushdown
forearms

Tues, Thurs, Sat

squat or deadlift
leg curl (3 sets)
leg press
calves on leg press machine (3 sets)
db shrug
crunches
neck work

So that's about 17 or 18 sets each day - too much or not?.

Whereas I've arranged like exercises in the same workout, I see that some people don't do this, thereby effectively making each workout a mini full body routine, done 6x per week. What are the pros/cons of this vs. the split I have shown above?

I appreciate any help with this.

Why bother with leg curls and leg presses when you are squatting or deadlifting? I would alternate the squat and deadlift and forget about the leg curls and press.

Pros:

-More volume with 48hrs between workouts :)
-6x working out burns lot of cals (shouldn't gain much fat)

Cons:

-Make sure you are eating enough to grow on 6x frequency
-The initial DOMS on your legs is going to kill you. . . just saying from personal experience
tounge.gif

Comments:

-Cable rows aren't really necessary with the pulldowns and t-bars...go the t-bars, like the choice :)

- Dips >>> than bench in my opinion, esp. if you're going to do incline and shoulder presses.

-Neck work: prob. not necessary if you're doing so many compounds, esp. with deads.

-I concur with liegelord, alternate deads and squats. Most people don't want to be deading 3x a week if you're also doing t-bars 3x a week. Personally my lower back can handle a great deal of work, but this is just an observation of others comments.

Go with this: squats and leg curls, deads and leg press/extension. No need to do squats&press or deads&curls on the same day.

Back