Hi everyone, can HST still be for me?

mdl054

Hi, new here but I post regularly over on another forum. I like the HST principles and I'd love to try it out for myself.

I'm wondering if HST can still work for me, as I play hockey three times a week. I've tried many workouts and many of them kill me. I'm not looking to avoid legs, on the contrary, its my favorite actually, but I feel as if I'm overtraining my legs. I'm always tired and my legs KILL all the time. No energy on the ice when I'm hitting them 2+ times a week and I feel like my progress sucks in the weight room.

I'm looking for something I can incorporate into my Hockey that will still produce results. I'm still fairly small weighing in at 6'3" 180, but I started at 6'3" 125lbs and I'm proud of my gains. I'd love to keep progressing!

Sounds like you feel the same way I do if I try to mix leg training with running. I seem to end up shortchanging both. It might be hard to strictly apply all the principles of HST if you are always playing Hockey since you would never really have a chance to SD. Might be better off to just do a de-load periodically. The other principles of HST should be easy to apply but as you seem to be finding out overtraining could be a real problem.

No matter what weight training program you adopt if you lift heavy while playing a sport like Hockey regularly your body especially your legs are going to get hammered. A couple things you might try is to do your leg workouts right after you play. Your workout might suffer but it would give your legs maximum recovery time between when you are pushing them hard. Another thing that might help is to use a heavy/light split for your legs. So that if you play Hockey Monday, Wednesday and Friday do your heavy leg work on Friday after you play or one Saturday. And do your light leg workout after you play on Wednesday or on Tuesday.

The other thing is to make sure your eating enough, which if you’ve gained 55 lbs you probably are. And when you’re not playing or working out get as much rest as possible.

Also have you tried searching the internet or going to a local School with a teem and talking with the coach about how to best weight train for Hockey. If it’s like other sports most of the heavy weight training is in the off season and pre-season and not when you have to play hard.

I played high level hockey for 25 years and I lean towards the ectomorphic side as do you based on your ht./wt. I had a tough time putting on size as well, but the second the season was over, I totally concentrated on making diet and calories the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. However, I must admit that for whatever reason leg work and hard skating just don't mix. When I squatted, my legs felt like they nearly siezed up in games. In games, it feels like you create twice as much lactic acid twice as fast and I felt considerably slower when I trained legs in season.

The other consideration is that hockey, in my opinion, is THE MOST CARDIOVASCULARLY DEMANDING sport in the world. I have thrown up numerous times in practices. The combination of the need for explosive skating, the stopping and starting along with the need for this for three full periods while wearing equipment make it brutally demanding. This does not jive very well with an ectomorph whose burning calories like a humming bird.

My suggestion: train upper body during the season. Leave your legs to skating only, EAT ALOT and GET PLENTY OF REST. When I did this, I didn't lose any size in my legs during the season and I had the speed needed to be an effective hockey player. Always remember to have plenty of protein protecting carbs in your system before and during games. Your body will devour your muscle playing this game if you don't eat right. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys!! Glad you guys can appreciate what hockey does to your body! I've asked a similar question on other forums and all I got for responses were condescending and telling me to squat 3-5x a week and to suck it up/eat more/sleep more. There isn't a cookie cutter routine or situation for everyone.

Pikehunter, if I did go with such a workout as your suggesting, what would it look like (just the gist of it)? In my opinion, my most lagging features are my chest and my shoulders. Due to the routines I was previously doing I've been mainly focusing on lower body before now. I'm actually looking very awkward atm with my upper body lagging so far behind.

Thanks for the responses guys!! Glad you guys can appreciate what hockey does to your body! I've asked a similar question on other forums and all I got for responses were condescending and telling me to squat 3-5x a week and to suck it up/eat more/sleep more. There isn't a cookie cutter routine or situation for everyone.

Pikehunter, if I did go with such a workout as your suggesting, what would it look like (just the gist of it)? In my opinion, my most lagging features are my chest and my shoulders. Due to the routines I was previously doing I've been mainly focusing on lower body before now. I'm actually looking very awkward atm with my upper body lagging so far behind.

Well, I am probably not qualified to recommend specific workouts, but I will share my opinions from another ectomorph. You have to understand that anyone will tell you if you 'split' your efforts, you will get so-so results. What I mean by this is that playing hockey with the genetics you've been dealt means you must be willing to sacrafice some of your muscle-gaining aspirations during your playing days. Based on your ht./wt. I would assume you have a super fast metabolism. Hockey, as I said above is brutally demanding in a cardiovascular sense. This eats up calories and reserves that you could put towards recovery from resistance workouts. Unfortunately, that means that you're muscular weight gain results will be diminished. It's just how things work.

For many years, I was frustrated by my lanky build and slow weight gain progress. It wasn't until I realized just how many extra calories I needed during the season just to try to protect the muscle I had that I began to make some progress. I ate like a horse and always made sure I had plenty of liquid carbs in my system during practice and games.

The bottom line is that when hockey slowed down for me and I ate and trained right...I put on some quality weight (no secret there). The hard part is sacraficing the body you may want for a game you love. To me, while I wish I could've been a bit more muscular in high school etc., I would never trade the wonderful experiences that hockey gave to me; fond memories with friends and competitive memories and achievements that i'll have forever. I doubt another 15lbs. would have given me that back then. I don't know how old you are, but if your between 15 and 23, do yourself a favor and SAVOR these days. They go by so quick and this is likely the only time in your life when people will truly care about your hockey. High school, travel and college competition is a true gift. Make sure you appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I utilized Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty principles back when I was playing. While there are some definite flaws in his theories long term, I felt the brief, less frequent workouts he employs helped me to save more of my reserves for the overall workload I was incurring each week and it helped me maintain and even gain a little each season. HST is similar in it's concept not to "trash" the trainer's CNS, so just pick a small, balanced group of good upper body exercises that give the best bang for the buck and forget thighs during the season! I can't stress this enough! Don't ignore those calves though. They can take a beating. When you're season ends (if it ever does), put those quads/hams at the front of the training line. Good luck.

Back