High volume/multiple sets

Curious if anyone here uses high volume in their training? Does anyone do more than 3 sets per exercise? Obviously number of exercises is important too. If someone is doing 5 sets, but only doing squats, bench press and rows, then they are only doing 5 sets per bodypart and 15 sets for the whole body. If another guy does 3 exercises per bodypart and 3 sets per exercise, then that is 9 sets per bodypart which is quite high for 3x/week.

Only during 5s, but it's not really high. I'm doing 20 reps total per exercise, per w-o (not including any warm-ups) this cycle and I'm doing 8 exercises tops (6 if I miss out arm and calf isos). Because of the frequency, I don't expect anyone here will be doing particularly high volume each session unless they are on AAS (oh, except perhaps Joe Muscle
biggrin.gif
).

I do about 3-5 exercises a day, usually only 3 though. Some days with certain exercises I will do up to 6 sets, but never to failure and usually only triples. Bench is a good example. If 5 reps is my limit, then I will only do 4 or just 5x3.

i do 7 exercises in the 5s, i do 3 sets so thats 21sets.

this time in this cycle i will be doing 5 sets of 3 reps so that will be 35 sets
cool.gif

Lol was right I am or was the only one doing higher volume.

Last cycle I did on average 24 to 50 reps per bodypart. ( Its probably too much???)

But this is and example of 10's.

Dumbell bench press 4 sets of 10 reps = 40 reps x 3 times a week for 120 total reps
Rows (same as above)
Standing shoulder press 3 sets of 10 ( I figured they got hit hard enough with bench)
Leg press or Squats 2 to 3 sets of 15 reps ( you prob wonder why I drop the sets for the biggest muscle group on my body and the reason is I have been training for 12 + years but only started training legs like I shoud a couple of years ago. They are know were as conditioned as my upperbody so 3 sets are fine)

Then I woudl do 1 set for curls and triceps with light weight drop set.

Thats it. Everyone says High volume but as you said Scientific Muscle my routine bulk was of higher volume was only around chest and back (why weak points) So in reality I only did 1 more set than other HST'ers.

However I am now doing less....b/c of my work schedule. I am currently doing the Waterbury TBT program only b/c I have started a new career (Self Employment) and it makes keeping up with my hSt cycle very hard. So basically I just go in the gym and hit it hard 3 times a week mixing up the exercises.

I am currently using 24 to 36 rep scheme.

So a heavy day would be 4 sets of 6 reps with my 8 rep max.

Endurance day is 2 sets of 18 reps with fast concentric.

And hypertrophy day is 3 sets of 12 reps.

Even on my higher HST volume routine I would only do 4 sets of 6 reps for my so called 5's.

Looking back I don't know if 120 reps a week is too much...probably is? ! ?.

So I am keeping with 24 to 36 for a while..plus it makes it easier for strength gains at this volume.

Also another reason I have dropped down my set / rep parameters is I am not gaining weight...so I have to do less to equal more...and I try key word :"try" to eat more!

What your opinion Sci Muscle !

Oh just to add to my above statement. If you recall Bryans recent post on the thread "15's".

Re read his routine and you will notice during 10's he does 2 sets of 10 reps and then 2 more sets of 6 to 8 reps he says when he has time. He also states this volume is hard to continue to keep up strenght but he still progress.

So for his example about thats a set / rep parameter of around 34 to 36
biggrin.gif

He has been training a long time as well !
biggrin.gif

I am currently doing 13 exercises, one set of each exercise using giant sets within bodyparts. Working out 2 times per week for 15's (for 1 Week). 3 times per week for 10's (for 2 Weeks) and 4times per week for 5's (for 3 Weeks). What changes is the total sets per week, not per day. My rationale (theory) is that frequency and total volume (work) per week are more imortant than the actual number of sets or reps per workout. This is a 6 week trial program and am just doing the 15's this week so I have no results to report. The exercises (grouped into giant sets) are:

Incline DB Bench Press
Dips
Flat Bench Flyes

DB Military Press
DB Shrugs
Close Grip Bench Press

Pull Ups
Chin Ups
Seated Rows
Barbell Curls

Squats
Deadlifts
Leg Extensions (Always high reps)

No rest within body part groupings. 3 Minutes rest between body parts. Where I have trouble making the rep count (such as in dips immediately after benches during the 15's), I cluster the reps to get to 15 with as little "down" time as possible. Then immediately go into the flyes. Very intense as I am working close to my rep maxes most of the time. This will be followed by a two week SD around the Christmas holidays.

Back