HIIT is it as good as we think

faz

lately i have been reading alot about HIIT v ss-cardio but most of the studies are based on low intensity ss-cardio not higher intensity ss-cardio.

alot of the guys on other sites i visit seem to be coming around to the point that higher intensity ss-cardio burns more fat than HIIT.

this was a good point made by this guy called mark in answer to this question
EPOC is said to be in effect for many hours (24+?) after a HIIT session.

It depends on your definition of EPOC, but yes, most of it occurs within 36hours.
But there's 4 distinct seperate parts -
1. Glycogen replacement - that will occur within 4-8 hours, especially if you eat some carbs.
2. Nerve damage repair - usually within 36hours
3. Muscle repair - usually within 36hours.
4. Muscle growth - peaks by 36hours, but could take upto 7 days.

During (1) glycogen replacement, yes you have an elevated heart rate and raised body temperature. The 'post-exercise oxygen consumption' (EPOC) is because oxygen is used to break fat into glucose, then used to replace glycogen stores.

But your heart rate can be raised due to eating, heat, stress etc, so its hard to judge your EPOC from it.

The other part 2,3,4 are not strictly EPOC but thrown in the wikipedia definition, and they do not raise heart rate.[ actually to be accurate, (2) nerve damage does raise resting heart rate a few beats, and that's how you can tell if your overtrained i.e. you wake up with a raise heart rate meaning nerve damage exists]

If I -
- burned 200calorie's HIIT, but all glycogen no fat during exercise
versus
- 200calorie's from fat during cardio

Then there are no 'extra' calorie's burned in EPOC phase 1. glycogen replacement because i'm simply delaying the use of my fat from during the exercise, until after it.

The only 'extra' potential is 2,3,4 i.e. muscle repair and growth, mostly of fast twitch fibre's.

I believe this is bit of a widespread misunderstanding being spread about HIIT, the only added benefit in terms of fat loss is the potential for muscle growth and resources used in muscle repair, not the fact it delays burning of fat until after exercise.

To be honest, you won't burn as many fat calorie's doing HIIT as cardio in most cases. A 20minute HIIT will burn around 200-300 calorie's if done intensely. Whereas a 40minute cardio will burn around 600-700.

The hope is though that HIIT will cause muscle reapair/growth which increases metabolism, burns exra calorie's above cardio - just as per weight training.

That is definitely true, and anyone new to HIIT should get that effect for the first few months, but then it will slow down. That assumes you EAT ENOUGH and REST ENOUGH to allow muscle growth, which from what I see, most people aren't.

So why do studies show HIIT burning more fat?
There's only a couple of studies, and the methods and results in detail don't show that infact. The main point was HIIT is more TIME efficient i.e. your burning fat faster, but not necessarily more of it, this will come out later as papers are peer reviewed more.
Also most studies are only measuring this 'initial effect', when the quick gains are made.

I'm not saying HIIT is no good, I'm just pointing out people are misunderstanding and hyping these studies and EPOC way beyond what the results show.

I know from myself, HIIT does work for fat loss, but cardio works just as well if not better if done intensely( not low intensity as per HIIT studies).

Edit: just wanted to add, that weight training is the ultimate HIIT !! doing 20reps on the squat at say 60% max weight versus sprinting is basically the same in terms of physiology. There is an important difference though to do with speed of movement.

here is another of his responses to a question about tabbatta v HIIT.
There are two issue here:
1. How many calorie's are burned during the exercise.
Tabata =160second of work ( 8X20seconds), versus say 15intervals*30second = 450seconds.
Assuming your intensity was equal during the intervals, you would burn 3X the calorie's during longer interval compared to tabata.

2. How much EPOC is there.
Well, that's the hard question.

I think there's some confusion here. EPOC is not directly related to calorie burn. I can walk for 10hours and burn 3000 calorie's, but get virtually zero EPOC.

EPOC represents the bodies response to the exercise stimulus which includes temperature change, metabolism change, muscle building etc

To show the difference I'll take an extreme case. Lets assume I've never exercise in my life, but now do the squat: 1 set of 10reps once a week, burning just about 100-200 calorie's a week - virtually no calorie burn at all.

But the EPOC effect may cause me to add muscle, lose fat in reaction to the squat stimulus. That is because muscle is 'very metabolically expensive' - it takes alot of resources to build, and some of that will come from body fat.

OK - that being clear, your question is about different intervals and EPOC. Noone can answer that question accurately, but I would take an educated guess that the EPOC is about the same, and not worth worrying about the difference.

It's hard to answer because the science is far from 'fact' and conflicting studies exists. But EPOC appears to depend on two factors -

1. Duration of exercise - linearly
That is, the longer time spent in the actual interval part, the greater the EPOC. IF you did 8*20xecond in Tabata =160second, versus say 15*30second = 450seconds in (15minute 30/30), obvious you get about 3X EPOC from longer one.

2. Intensity of exercise - potentially curvelinearly

Intensity is 'work done divided by time'.
Assuming you work as hard in either the 160second and the 450second of exercise, you will burn 3X calorie's in longer one. However, you exercised for roughly 4X the length.

So Tabata is 'more intense', which anyone who has tried both can tell without any math!!

However, its likely your intensity will drop in Tabata more with each interval. Why? you are not getting much rest, so your are unable to give it the same amount of effort!

So there are alot of unknowns. Here are some more.The result likely depends on the usual problem that studies don't account for ( which in my view makes them invalid) -
- genetics - your muscle fibre makeup, physiology
- your current adapatation to this exercise, a person who just started Tabata will see substantial gains compared to someone doing it for years, same with anykind of exercise and this fact is totally ignored by most people hyping exercise.

Infact your question is a classic, and this is the whole debate about HIGH INTENSITY versus low that has raged for last 20+ years I've been following it,and the latest incarnation is this obsession with HIIT versus cardio etc , before that it was HIT versus volume weight training.

Bottom line: you must try it and see for your body what works best.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Back