Holding your breathe

chetware

Do you guys ever hold your breathe when exerting on each rep?

I mean, do you hold your breathe when you push up on the bench press and just breathe out at the top, for example?

Thank you.

The Valsava manouvre is a well used technique, it is best when lifting fairly heavy loads to keep your breath held whilst contracting so as to keep internal abdominal cavity pressure, this helps to keep the whole body tight, if this expains it!

It is especially importnat in the big compounds like Squats, Deadliftws and benching, but it is used all around as otherwise you may end up hurting yourself.
wink.gif

It is important to get to know how much intrathoracic pressure you can stand so that if need be you can release a little pressure at just the right moment before you quickly top-up your breath again.

I find that it is particularly important for me to keep a decent amount of pressure in my lungs when benching. I can manage a max of two or three reps when I am heavy benching (around 5RM) without taking a breath in between and I find that this enables me to keep my form really consistent. After the first two reps with no breath I take a small top-up breath right at the end of the concentric part of each subsequent rep until I am done. If I take a big breath between reps, I invariably find that my scapulae move from their adducted position (not all the way but at least a bit) which then changes the forces on my AC joints and eventually leads to AC joint pain (in my case).

If I am back squatting, I don't have a problem with form if I take a good breath between reps but I tend to hold my breath, again, until I am close to the end of the concentric part of each rep. If I am really struggling with a load, I will allow some air to escape as part of the fight to get the weight up.

Front squats with heavy loads are more like benching for me in that, if I release the pressure too much in my lungs, I find it hard to take a decent breath again between reps and will have more of a tendency to lean forward out of the hole.

Deadlifts and cleans allow for a decent breath between reps due to the reset when the bar is back on the floor. Same thing for Pendlay rows. RDLs do not have a reset between reps but, as the loads will probably be lighter than for regular deads, taking a breath at the top is not so much of an issue anyway.

Yeah, Lol is right on the money, and I did this and many, many other things the wrong way the until my copy of Starting Strength arrived. This book is so good that reading it more than once attentively is definitely worth it.

Avi

That will = loosing strength and possibly getting hurt specially if we're talking about squats or something like it, the breath should be between reps, or as in Lol's case after a few reps, some oly lifters prefer this for the same reason as Lol.

If you're breathing properly, the gut would be DISTENDED when the lungs are full, since you're supposed to breathe through your diaphragm, not your chest. Holding the gut in is backwards.

just be careful you dont bust a blood vessel when holding your breath under strain lol.

as for holding my breath for 2-3 reps durin benching no way, i guess you could lose some stability but your muscles are combusting(crude) the o2 you take in, so to deprive them of it would compromise performance imo.

<div>
(lcars @ Mar. 07 2008,20:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just be careful you dont bust a blood vessel when holding your breath under strain lol.

as for holding my breath for 2-3 reps durin benching no way, i guess you could lose some stability but your muscles are combusting(crude) the o2 you take in, so to deprive them of it would compromise performance imo.</div>
I understand your concern lcars, that's why I said it's important to get to know how much intrathoracic pressure you can stand; you have to learn what you can cope with.

If I'm doing a set of my 5RM load for bench I can do two good reps without taking a breath. If I am doing a set of 5 with my 10RM load I could probably manage the whole lot without a breath (haven't tried it though!). You have a lung full of air - you aren't going to be using it all up in the few seconds it takes to perform a couple of reps, particularly as most of the work you are doing over those few seconds is anaerobic anyway. Being aware of and managing the intrathoracic pressure is more important IMO.

For me, taking Ripp's advice and sussing this technique has really helped my bench form.

Thats very new to me. I always uses to breathe all the time. Didnt know i shloud breathe only between reps. Its gonna be hard to get used to it.

Think of yourself as a balloon. When full of air, you can support weight. If deflated, you cannot and are all squishy and stuff.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 07 2008,19:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Think of yourself as a balloon. When full of air, you can support weight. If deflated, you cannot and are all squishy and stuff.</div>
And you can get tied in a knot...
rock.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 07 2008,21:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I only hold my breath when I am training with weights under water
wow.gif

laugh.gif

wow.gif
</div>
So i can keep on breathing?

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Mar. 08 2008,08:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 07 2008,21:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I only hold my breath when I am training with weights under water
wow.gif

laugh.gif

wow.gif
</div>
So i can keep on breathing?</div>
Yes, unless you are underwater.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 07 2008,16:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(lcars @ Mar. 07 2008,20:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just be careful you dont bust a blood vessel when holding your breath under strain lol.

as for holding my breath for 2-3 reps durin benching no way, i guess you could lose some stability but your muscles are combusting(crude) the o2 you take in, so to deprive them of it would compromise performance imo.</div>
I understand your concern lcars, that's why I said it's important to get to know how much intrathoracic pressure you can stand; you have to learn what you can cope with.

If I'm doing a set of my 5RM load for bench I can do two good reps without taking a breath. If I am doing a set of 5 with my 10RM load I could probably manage the whole lot without a breath (haven't tried it though!). You have a lung full of air - you aren't going to be using it all up in the few seconds it takes to perform a couple of reps, particularly as most of the work you are doing over those few seconds is anaerobic anyway. Being aware of and managing the intrathoracic pressure is more important IMO.

For me, taking Ripp's advice and sussing this technique has really helped my bench form.</div>
cool.gif
nay probs

Back