How can I do heavy shrugs?

DWhite2741

I want to add shrugs into my next cycle but I don't have straps so in order to shrug heavy I will need to use my gripping strength. I think I can shrug a lot of weight already I just think that maybe my grip will lag me behind. Any suggestions?

Buy some straps. It will be a big help. Unless you have a rack and can put the bar down between reps.

You could also just make some straps. Lol had some luck using an old belt to make straps. I was going to do the same thing but found some straps for only $5, so I bought them instead.

Yea, all of us can get to more than we can grip. For now, you could use a reverse grip like with deads and keep reversing it to hit the shoulders evenly, but you're still limited to your grip.
OTOH, traps respond to high reps pretty well (I'm sayin' up to like 20) for me, but even better down around the fives.
If you look around your gym, you may find something like a machine bench or press with rubber covered handles that will be at your sides when you stand between them. This is a great shrug position, pulling straight up the side of the legs. I've even kicked my shoes off to stand on a bench in my socks to use a machine. (to keep from ripping their upholstery) The foam or rubber grips will allow you to pull more weight, but not as much as straps.

A seated dip assist machine also works great for shrugs. It is best when the plates have grippers on them; otherwise it is still a solid option. I will echo what Quad had to say about high reps and shrugs. I have found that higher reps work for shrugs, hence why I am doing an alternate HST scheme for my traps this cycle.

I took an old belt, and a needle and thread and had lifting straps in about 20 minutes!

I used a fabric belt. The kind that goes with a boy scout uiform, or old-style military belt.

Alternatively, you could do lighter weight, higher rep shrugs.

Back