how come my total volume wont increase?

matty19

i was working out my weight progressions and come across a problem. It seem as though that even though im increasing kg's each day (workout), and complete my max, as soon as I start a new block of maxs, the weight doesn’t increase, or sometimes seems to decrease. For example:

10 rm week with 2 sets:

Mon: 20kg
Wed: 25KG
Fri (10rm): 30kg

5rm week with 3 sets:

Mon: 30kg
Wed: 35kg
Fri (5rm): 40kg

With the 10rm, if i multiply 30kg by a total of 20 reps (2 sets of 10 reps) it equals a total of 600kg. But when I multiply the 5rm’s as such: 40 multiplied by a total of 15 reps (3 sets of 5) it oly equals 600 again. This means from the time I did my 10rm to the time I did my 5rm I didn’t even increase the total amount I was lifting? Can anyone explain this?

Putting the muscle under Tension is the key, not necessarily volume - however you could increase volume within reason...
Again, ultimately, this ends up being a linear progression of weight (load) over the 6-8 weeks with a set number of reps; which is an avenue best explored after you've completed at least a couple of vanilla cycles of the basic HST protocol (this may include repeating weights/zig-zagging)
cool.gif

Start with the basics - and build on them.

Progressive load is more important that volume.  As long as you are making gains then don't worry about it.  If you aren't making gains then you may need to adjust your number of sets in your 5's.

But as TDM said, do a couple of vanilla HST cycles and see how it works for you before you start worrying about that.

Zigzag isn't necessary, but its has a lot of benefits, namely to preserve your CNS, and especially comes in handy if you stretch out your cycles to 10-12 weeks.

Back