How do you cycle four weeks of fives?

• Thread starter imported_gripstrength
  • Start date
I

imported_gripstrength

So, I just finished my last workout of 10s and am going to begin the 5s on Friday. Because I'm not training with a partner, I won't be able to follow the 5s with two weeks of negatives--so I'm going to do an additional two weeks of 5s instead, for four total.

I've been cycling each "series" of workouts as follows: first day at 75 percent of max, next at 80 percent, next at 85 percent, then 90, 95, and finally 100 percent. For my second two-week series of 5s, would it make sense to ratchet up my five-rep max by some percentage and then repeat the cycle? How have others approached this?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat as you - no partner. I had an idea for how to do the neg section though, which maybe you'll want to try too.

I'm going to keep going past my 5 RM each workout, working up to my 2 RM, and use cluster sets to hit a target number of reps, in this case 10 reps, but avoiding failure.

Also, some exercises should be possible to do negative fashion once the weight progresses that far. Like for curls, for instance, I plan to just use one hand for the curl, then use the other hand to aid during the concentric phase. Same for tricep extensions and stuff like that.

Some stuff, like squats, you'll have to be careful.

Tot had some good input. Some people just continue their 5's at their 5RM. Personally, I do 2 drops sets after one set at my 5 RM as it helps to induce a metabolic response. I drop the weight about 30 percent and crank out about 5 reps; drop the weight another 30 percent and crank out another 5 reps. You don't have to be exact. Keep the number of drop reps to between 10 and 15. But be prepared to cry in the gym. It burns!
blush.gif

old & grey
you would do 5rm with 2 dropsets during the 3 and 4 week of fives. So, week 3 and 4 will have no increase in weight? is this correct?

That's correct khonis. I may play around with the drop sets a little bit. I may, for example, chose weights that allow for 15 drop reps one day and switch to a weight that only allows for 10 drop reps the next day. Either way I am going for the burn and am not too concerned about the absolute amount of weight being moved.

Not all negative exercises require a spotter though:

Leg press and seated calf raise - 2 legs raise it, one leg lowers it.

Sm.machine shoulder press, incline press - lower with shoulders, raise with a squat.

Step up to the chin/dip bars.

You can neg. for at least one of your alternate exercises most of the time :)

old and Grey
Thanks for the reply, however, instead of doing sets of 5's the last two weeks I was thinking of doing set of 3's the last two weeks. So, I would do 2 weeks of 5"s and 2 weeks of 3"s.(must be my younger powerlifting days trying to make a come back) Nevertheless, I am not sure if this would be over taxing my CNS and/or body. However, SD is rightaround the corner. I would still use your advise on other exercises except for the squat deadlift and bench.

I basically do what O&G does but I do the regular 2x5RM and then a single set of dropsets of 10-15 for weeks 7&8.

Back