How fast do you really perform your reps?

hannesburk

Hi Guys

rep-cadence is hardly ever a topic, searching this board I find 2 titles adressing it with little to know traffic

the following (and my last cycle) observation got me thinking:

in all the gyms I worked out the last 12 years the common cadence is 1/ 1 , 1/ 1.5 at most.
every guru, trainer, expert is talking about smooth and controlled rep form..we are talking about 3/3 maybe 2/3. not just for fun but for preventing from injurys, putting the strain on the muscle not the passiv structures, taking advantage from the different energy-suppyling-sources etc.

1) rep-ranges vary normaly from 1-15 reps. Real-Life-Observation teaches me that this means spending at most 30 seconds for a set. so we are neglecting the saying that hypertrophy takes place between 0-90 seconds and we are just adressing the atp and creatin-phospat sources. every expert is writing a set from 8-12 reps should last about 40-70 seconds, but in reality it does definatly not. even when a trainee is performing high reps work (15+ rep) in fact he is just working with fast speed in the "max-strenght" sector (if there is one) or at least not far away from that....for me that looks like cheating (myself)

2) if we are just talking about number of reps (and that is what everybody does) we are losing the basis for comparing results and experiences because every trainee is performing their reps with a different cadence. so how can we talk about recovery time between sets, stimulating the different energy-supplying-sources when your 12 rep set is lasting 90 seconds and mine just 20?

My question:

do you really perform your sets with a smooth cadence and a 8-12 rep set last 40- 70 seconds?

How do you make shure that you are not working out just in the strenght focused zone, when aiming for the lactic acid, other energy-sources etc?

Is this just me or do you agree that there is little to now focus on the "how long does your set actually last" and just about how much reps to drop in...and that this is just not meanigful enough for really talking about the same thing...?!

I wonder a lot about your thoughts concearning this topic.

my last cycle I did instead of 15s 90 seconds- instead of 10s 60 second- and instead of 5s 30 second- sets using a 3/3 cadence (before that it was more a 1/1.5 cadence) and guess what? My gains (and not just the pumps) where better than ever, beeing able to stimulate much more ranges and giving more focus on the acutal rep and I realized that there are worlds between classic 15/10/5 HST and classic 15/10/5 HST even though it is absolutely the same one could think...

thanks a lot, looking forward to read and discuss your approaches

regards
Hannes

This article i just found on bb.com...even though i do not agree with everything, the author is writing excately about one aspect I mentioned

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/greg8.htm

Quote 1:
Muscles dont count reps

Quote 2:
The problem is that the repetition guide was born out of the recommended time under load, not the other way around

Just be sure you are in control of the weight and not gravity. That's all I worry about.

I agree with tot fully. As long as you control the weight it doesn't matter. I have trained HD in the past and TUT is high as reps are 4 sec neg/4 sec positive for one set to failure. A set lasts forever and I could only incline bench 135 for 8 reps at that cadence when i could do 190 at a normal cadence with full control. I think the high TUT is very taxing on the CNS and leads to overtraining and poor results. It sounds good in theory but doesn't seem to work to well in real life. Hope this helps

thanks guys.

yes I absolutely agree with you but I would like to know what you think about the 1/1 reality, which really is gym-everyday-reality isn't it?

and what you think about the fact, that people train whit working-sets of 20-30 seconds, hardly ever one minute...and one minute is really a tut that is proven to be effective

i'm really not talking about super-slow training and sets > 120 secs, but talking about that there is no comparison when everybody is just talking about number of reps and that I really would like to know what cadences you rally use (more like 2/2 or 3/4 or what) and how long your sets 8-12 reps actually last

thanks a lot

regards

Back