How is it that this works

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys I am not advocating this nor am I disagree with this thread that I am about to post from Lyles board.

I just wanted to see why some of you guys thought that this is working for this individual.

I too have many friends who overtrain like hell...or at least what "we" call overtraining and well they grow like hell too?

This thread from lyles board is an example.

I am just curious as to what some of the veterans like myself think.

High Frequency Training and Constant Tension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a personal antectode that I thought I'd share.

Months ago I was training 3x a week upper body, lifting heavy in the 4-8 rep range, multiple sets and moderate volume. Lots of Chin Ups, DB Rows, Bench Press, DB Military Press, Curls and Pushdowns.

My strength got good for ME, I was benching 95lb DB's, Rowing 95's, Military Pressing 75-85lb DB's, Curls with 45-55lbs, etc. Eating at least 400g of protein, and got up to 245lbs.

Was also taking 300mg Trenbolone Acetate (100mg on workout days) and doubled up on my Hormone Replacement (400mg Testosterone Cypionate.

The only measure I kept track of was arms flexed and overall appearance, my arms got up to 17.5" flexed after a workout.

Stopped the tren a few months ago, dieted and lost some fat/size.

2 months ago I decided to just lift with constant tension, limit the ROM slightly so I only felt the muscle work while dropping the weight lifted. For ex. I was up to 85 lbs DB military press, and I basically gained no size on my delts and never got a pump. So I dropped the weight down to 45 lbs and with altered form and temp finally started getting a pump, as well as some visible size. (my shoulders still suck btw). Same thing w/ all my other muscles.

My arms got up to a little over 17", months off of a cycle except taking testosterone (200mg every 2 weeks). So for the **** of it I decided I wanted to experiment with high frequency training, and have been doing so for about 2 months. Full upper body workouts 6 days a week. Anywhere from 4-8 sets per muscle group, with reps in the 6-10 range. Basically overtraining the **** out of my body, but i've been recovering fine and really enjoy working out more often.

Weights lifted are down so that I can get a few more reps and keep the tension steady on the muscles worked. OH DB Press down to 45 lbs, DB curls down to 30-40lbs, DB Bench Press down to 60 lbs and no Chins, Pulldowns at at 165-180lbs.

Protein is lower at 200-300g or so. But from these poorly documented changes (much higher frequency, lighter weights, way more volume) My biceps measure 18"-18.5" flexed after a workout and 17.5" flexed cold, up from my heavy lifting and steroid cycle. Overall look as big or bigger than when ON, kinda strange but true.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">except taking testosterone (200mg every 2 weeks).</div>

Wait, so was he taking test the entire time?
rock.gif

1. If he is able to recover then obviously he isn't overtraining. Many get this term mixed up. It's not about how much work he is performing, it's about can he recover in X amount of time, IOW overreaching. Continually over reaching can lead to systemic overtraining. The symptoms of overtraining are, reduced sleep, depressed hormonal counts, lethargy, burnout, reduced immune function among others.

I personally have stated many times that overtraining in most non-pro BB is rare and the term is widely overused.

2. Aside from the hormones he upped frequency.

3. If he is recounting his exercises correctly he is only do 5 exercises.

4. When lifting heavier how much volume is moderate, he states multiple sets of 4-8 but how many and how does it actually compare to the current volume. Perhaps it's simply wasn't enough volume or perhaps it was too much.

Anyway, if he wasing growing it wasn't because of him not acheiving a pump with his previous paradigm. Also understand this is the subjective report of one person, and therefore biased, not wrong or incorrect, just biased.

Take it for what it's worth.

I thought he might be fat, since those early numbers weren't very high for a guy at that weight, especially on gear!
If so, I'd conclude that some of that arm size is fat as well, but still, blowing out to 18+ is very good - but he never gave his height either.
Regardless of on or off gear, change has always a principle that produces growth if the conditions are right, I.E. being fed, slept, not overtrained or stressed etc. I don't think it matters what you were doing previously, as the shock of change is still stimuli for a muscle up to a point.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Oct. 11 2007,20:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2 months ago I decided to just lift with constant tension, limit the ROM slightly so I only felt the muscle work while dropping the weight lifted. For ex. I was up to 85 lbs DB military press, and I basically gained no size on my delts and never got a pump. So I dropped the weight down to 45 lbs and with altered form and temp finally started getting a pump, as well as some visible size</div>
sounds like a bit of intstinctive training...

Back