How is my routine?

RoWdY_RuFf_BoY

I'm doing the standard 15s, 10s, 5s, post 5s. I been on SD for about a month and a half cause I guess I just got lazy and now I'm in the week where I'm finding my maxes.

The exercises I'm doing are:
Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Dips
Dumbell Flyes
Chinups
Rows
Bent Over Dumbell Rows
Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Barbell Curl
Seated Tricep Extensions
Calf Raises

I know there are a few iso's in there. Is this too much exercises? Should I remove any? If so, which ones? What else to add?

Also, should there be a particular order in which to do the exercises? Cause I did Squat, and on my 2nd set because I didn't find my max on the first, my legs were absolutely gone. Mind you, this was my first time ever doing these exercises like Squats and Deadlifts. I mean, I felt sick and didn't feel like I could go on because my legs hurted so bad, and it was only a 50kg(110lbs) Squat!
sad.gif

I also felt dizzy after doing Deadlift as well.

I was thinking this routine had a little too much exercises but I'm not sure, I think I'm just making excuses to do less.

So any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

So sorry for the double thread. I got some 'Internal Error' after I tryed to post the thread so I thought it didn't work. Please reply to either topic.

Cheers

Rowdy

It is actually fine, provided you alternate.

A
Squat
Bench
Chinups
Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Calf Raises

B
Deadlift
Dips
Rows
Shoulder Press
Calf Raises

Think that should do, Iso's from 5's or up to you.

Deads and squats together are a real killer!
laugh.gif

if you was doing that before i would say you got tired not lazy mate
wink.gif

do what fausto says or drop some exercises isos first,curls tris,db-flyes..good luck
biggrin.gif

Hi, I personally believe in making use of compounds and keeping iso's for burn sets. However, if you are able to control the volume, I think your workout routine is fine. Fausto has a good example with alternating your workout.

Yes, deadlifts and squats in the same sitting sucks, but you get used to it
biggrin.gif

IMO i think you could get away with just

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Dips
Chins

You basically hit almost all muscle groups with those exercises.

If you were to do burn sets, which I don't recommend till' middle of ten's or beginning of 5's, i'd do

Barbell Curl
Seated Tricep Extensions
Calf Raises

from your workout.

If you do want to incorporate most of your exercises, i'd probably just get rid of bent over dumbell rows and maybe the shoulder press. You can do shrugs during or after your deadlift (you'll have much more load than you'll ever get from using dumbells).

Also something you might want to consider is time. With all those exercises, I'd probably be at the gym for atleast an hour or more
sad.gif

But, if time isn't a factor, then proceed as you wish
laugh.gif

Just my .02

<div>
(tetrah @ May 08 2006,09:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">IMO i think you could get away with just

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Dips
Chins

You basically hit almost all muscle groups with those exercises.</div>
add overhead standing presses and bent rows and your set.

woow, your doing too much!
make the thing like tetrah said or go with faustos advice.

both are good advices. im making &quot;same&quot; thing like tetrah said.

from where are you from rowdyruffboy?

Thank you for your advice. That alternating routine looks sweet, I just have a few questions. And I will drop the iso's till my 5s if I'm up for it.

@Fausto: How does the alternating work? Do I do workout A for example on Monday and workout B on Weds and A on Friday? So I end up doing 3 workouts for each A and B?

Also, since they're less exercises, how many sets should I be doing for each exercise? Should I still be doing only one set or more?

@tetrah: That one routine also looks really good.
So:

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Dips
Chins
plus drpierredebs's suggestion
Shoulder Press
Bentover Rows

@Anyone: Which do you think is more effective? Alternating routine like Fausto suggested or one workout routine?

@choco: Yeah, I had too much exercises. I just followed the sample routine and added a few exercises to it since it had alot of exercises as well.
Oh and I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers

if your new to HST stick to one workout for the first cycle and then you can alternate on the nect one if you want to.

<div>
(RoWdY_RuFf_BoY @ May 10 2006,04:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Dips
Chins
Shoulder Press
Bentover Rows</div>
Believe me, and everyone here, just do the above exercises following the basic HST principles and you will be Very pleased.

This is technically my 2nd cycle. My first one I didn't really count because I only had dumbells with only like 35Kg to work with. It got to the point where I would use all the weights and I was still in my early 10s.

I'll stick to the one workout routine since I'm pretty much starting over and first time doing Squats and Deadlifts.

So 7 exercises like tetrah and drpierredebs mentioned. How many sets should I be doing? Is it sufficient enough to do one only?

1 set 15s
2 sets 10s
3 sets 5s
after your first cycle if you want to do more then do it..but try to keep the volume the same.like this one does 15..20..15..

Rowdy

As Faz says it will probably be better to go for one workout right through, but if you choose to alternate, yes...A,B,A,B....and so on.

Sets wise, I'd settle for
15's - 1 set / 10's - 2 sets / 5's - 3 sets / negs- 3 sets

Some people prefer to drop one set down to 2 when the weights get heavy usually the second week of 5's and/or negatives.

Hope this helps!
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Just finished finding my 10 rep maxes. It was great because it was quick, I was finished in 45 minutes.

I will be sticking to the one workout routine. Thanks again fellas

Cheers

Back