How many exercises/muscle group?

Mikael

Hi,
Will begin 1st day of HST routine this week. I have read a lot about the program but cant find anywhere to read how many exercises per muscle group you should do.
I'm no beginner in the gym and can modify the routine probably in a good way, but my goal is to try it as it should be without tweaks, and see if the result will be better than other programs.

For chest, you can see that they do two exercises, totally 3 set.
http://hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_II.html

But at the same site, you can read that they do one exercise for every muscle group, but different exercises every second workout. And they never do max, ex Squat, 10rm is 235, and on day 5 they lift 215, and because the change exercise on day 6 they never squat 235.
http://hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_notes.html

So what is the principle for HST and exercises, without tweaking. Apologies if it i says clearly in the text and I have missed it.

//Mikael

Thanks for the quick answer. Actually, I've read it, but couldn't find the answer. I can read sets, reps and recommendation on exercises, but not how many their should be. Beside of the examples.
Maybe it is up to everyone to choose between 1 or 2 exercises at each workout, as long as you follow the HST training principles?

//Mikael

There is no set amount of volume (sets/reps) to use because it will differ based on the individual.

Check page 25:
So now you've got your maxes figured out and you've figured out all the loads you will be using for each exercise. What's next? Volume? How many sets of what should you be doing? Generally, it is a good idea to start with 1-2 sets for everything your first HST cycle. Some lifts you would want to do 2 sets, some only 1. For example, for back you chose bent over rows and barbell shrugs, you would want to do 2 sets for the rows and only 1 set for the shrugs because the rows are the priority. Pretty much any arm work you would want to stick to just 1 working set. After your first cycle, you should have a better feel for where and if you need increase volume.

As a general rule of thumb, you should increase volume only if you are never sore, you are never tired after your workouts and you are not growing despite steadily gaining weight. Obviously if you are not gaining weight at all, that is a diet issue and not an issue of volume. No routine is going to magically put muscle on you without the necessary calories and protein to build the muscle. On the other hand, you would want to maintain volume if you are slightly sore after workouts most of the time, you are tired enough at night to sleep well but not so tired that you are losing the desire to lift and your muscles are noticeably fuller. Lastly, you would want to decrease volume if you are tired most of the time but still don't sleep well, notice any sort of strain in your joints or other over-use pain, strength levels are plummeting and if you notice your immune system seems very poor.

Overtraining or overreaching is not something that we want to do in HST. This tactic is one that improves performance, not hypertrophy. As such, be mindful to keep volume low enough to avoid this. Many people try to increase volume above what they need to grow in an effort to improve their gains, but the reality is that the minimum volume necessary to grow is going to be more effective than using the maximum volume you can handle.

Thank you for the reply and for taking the time of showing me where the answer was. Now its time to lift!

//Mikael

Back