How Many Sets?

BigSoup

HST Newbie here. I have just completed my first week of the 10's but I had one question in anticipation of the 5's:

How many sets for the 5's? I have done 1-2 sets (2 for squat / DB Press / Lat pulldown / claf raise) in the 15's, 2 sets on everything in the 10's and I was planning on 3 sets in the 5's. Are 3 sets in the 5's too many?

Please let me know.

You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you, but what I did last cycle was one set for everything, then after my workout was over, if I felt like it, I would do a second set for each of my compounds. That's in addition to burn sets.

Some people like to keep the volume consistent throughout the cycle, so those people would advocate going to three sets during the fives, but if you do, I would only do three sets for the compounds. Isolations don't really need that many sets, in my opinion. I would only do one or two sets for those, at most.

It also depends on your conditioning to an extent. If you've been lifting weights for a decade or so, you will probably need more volume than a newer lifter.

Compound exercises use multiple major muscles to execute the move. For instance, bench presses use triceps, shoulders and pecs as well as some smaller muscles. However, isolation movements such as tricep extensions basically work just the triceps.

Back