How many sets?

spartan81

How many sets should one do during the 15's, 10s, and 5's?  I know this is in the FAQ, but the answer Blade gave is different than what a few other guys on this forum have said.  Blade said 2 sets during 15s, 2sets on the first week of 10s, 1 set second week, and 2 sets the first week 5's and 1 set the second week fives.  Fausto and a few other guys have said that you should use a higher volume than this.  How do you determine how many sets?  Since I'm a n00b would I go lower volume and then go higher the more cycles I do, or what?

<div>
(magnumfreak @ Mar. 30 2007,16:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do 1 set for 15's, 2 for 10's and 3 for 5's.</div>
Same for me. I've tried all the variations and this is what works best for me.

For advanced lifters I recommend 30 total reps (2x15, 3x10, 6x5). For a novice lifter, 1 set of each will be enough. Start there and increase if you need to. I am not 'advanced' but I am quite conditioned and need at least 20 reps total per exercise to get a training effect.
A new guy may only need 15 total reps or less. (1x15, 1x10, 2x5)

It's different from personf to person. I found that what works best for me is clustering to 20 reps for the big muscles, and 15 reps for the small musles. Lets say im doing dummbels bench press. So i do 15 reps, rest 15-20 seconds and do more 5 reps to get to the 20 reps range. Or lets say im on the heavier loads. So lets say i do 8 reps and feeling im close to failure ( 2 reps before failure), Then i stop, rest for 3 minutes, and continue. Then again, i stop 2 reps before failure, rest, and continue. Untill i get to the 20 reps range. You can also check the &quot;no. of sets&quot; thread to get more ideas.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 30 2007,18:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For advanced lifters I recommend 30 total reps (2x15, 3x10, 6x5).  For a novice lifter, 1 set of each will be enough.  Start there and increase if you need to.  I am not 'advanced' but I am quite conditioned and need at least 20 reps total per exercise to get a training effect.
A new guy may only need 15 total reps or less.  (1x15, 1x10, 2x5)</div>
Thanks for the input you guys. I just finished my last workout for the 10's today. During the first week of 10's I did 2 sets and I felt just a little bit overtrained, so this week I did just one set per exercise. It felt pretty easy, so next cycle I'll try doing two sets all the way through. On the 5's I think I'll stick to the two sets per exercise and see where that gets me. Oh, and btw I'm up 4.5 pounds from where I was when I started, so progress has been great so far. Thanks again for all the constructive advice, you guys.
smile.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 30 2007,18:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For advanced lifters I recommend 30 total reps (2x15, 3x10, 6x5).  For a novice lifter, 1 set of each will be enough.  Start there and increase if you need to.  I am not 'advanced' but I am quite conditioned and need at least 20 reps total per exercise to get a training effect.
A new guy may only need 15 total reps or less.  (1x15, 1x10, 2x5)</div>
Actually, that's one variation I haven't tried, since it's hard as heck to do 6 sets of 5 all the way through. But I could do that, and drop sets as needed as the poundages come up, then when it gets down to 2-3 sets, start doing a 6x3 and drop again as I progress to burnout.
I'm not particularly a fan of a lot of clustering for all exersizes. Here and there, no problem with it, but I'd rather just keep adding weight and drop the excess.
Anything under 3 sets on a tri-weekly basis I think is too much overload on these 53 yr. old joints.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anything under 3 sets on a tri-weekly basis I think is too much overload on these 53 yr. old joints.</div>

Hey Quad, you meant anything over 3 sets, three times weekly? Didntcha?

Spartan, there have been many threads on what is the ideal number of reps/sets. Lots of good answers have been posted. Ultimately, though, it's not cut and dried. There is a certain minimum amount of work with a high enough intensity (based on conditioning at the time) in order to trigger signalling. The goal posts move as you become more conditioned. Other factors play a part too, like neural efficiency for a particular lift.

So, at the end of the day, starting out with 1 x 15, 2 x 10 and 3 x 5 will get you going in the right direction. Particularly as you are new to lifting, you will find that you get stronger quickly so attempting 3 sets with your 5RM is much more likely to be possible for you than for a seasoned lifter.

As well as strain, the amount of work done plays a valuable part in hypertrophy, so if you can keep that progressing throughout your cycle you might well get better results. That's why I wouldn't recommend dropping down to 1 set during the second week of 5s even if you are very new to lifting. If you have to drop down to one set because you don't want to cluster to make up the reps then do a few more sets of 5 with a slightly lower weight just to get some more work done (perhaps using your 10RM or thereabouts).

Some folks say they don't see much in the way of results during the 5s but I think this is often due to doing too little work compared with the 10s. If you increase strain and keep the work done, at least at the level it was during the 10s, you should get great results during the 5s (also assuming you are eating enough).

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 30 2007,23:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anything under 3 sets on a tri-weekly basis I think is too much overload on these 53 yr. old joints.</div>

Hey Quad, you meant anything over 3 sets, three times weekly? Didntcha?</div>
No, I meant under. The same reason I don't do singles or doubles even. It's too much weight used at that low a rep range for old joints that get injured easier. So if I'm using a weight that only allows me 2 sets in the fives, it quickly accumulates to overload, so I drop reps to save the bod, but still move the poundage totals, you see?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, at the end of the day, starting out with 1 x 15, 2 x 10 and 3 x 5 will get you going in the right direction. Particularly as you are new to lifting, you will find that you get stronger quickly so attempting 3 sets with your 5RM is much more likely to be possible for you than for a seasoned lifter.</div>

Virtually impossible for me and you.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Some folks say they don't see much in the way of results during the 5s but I think this is often due to doing too little work compared with the 10s. If you increase strain and keep the work done, at least at the level it was during the 10s, you should get great results during the 5s (also assuming you are eating enough).</div>
My  point exactly.

I normally do one set of each exercise and ten sets in total for each workout. That comes out to 2 sets for each major body part and one set for each minor body part. I giant set the exercises within a body part group and the realted minor body part. It gets me higher intensity without having to do multiple sets of the same exercises which, I believe, has significant diminishing returns after the first set. I usually work  out 4 times per week so I do a total of 40 sets per week.

This cycle I am doing something different. I am doing a 2 day split routine twice per week. It comes out to the same 40 sets per week but each body part is being hit twice as hard twice per week rather than 1/2 as much 4 times per week. It's basically an experiment to see how my body responds now to heavier volume per workout with less frequent workouts.

The point being, as it relates to the question asked, is that I have found that, for me, single sets of multiple exercises works better than multiple sets of the same exercise. It takes experimentation to find what is best for you. For newbies, sticking to the &quot;vanilla-type&quot; of published HST routines should work just fine without any tweaking.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have found that, for me, single sets of multiple exercises works better than multiple sets of the same exercise.</div>

Is that referring to hypertrophy, strength, or overall conditioning?

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Mar. 31 2007,10:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have found that, for me, single sets of multiple exercises works better than multiple sets of the same exercise. It takes experimentation to find what is best for you.</div>
i have to agree,i was never comfortable with just the core movements,i always added a few more exercises,i found it was best for growth for me.

but the core movements are the most important by far,and should be the only thing a newb should be concentrating on,in my opinion.

For the advanced trainee focussing on hypertrophy, I think the number of exercises needs to come down as the weeks go on. I also think the frequency needs to drop as well.

Working on isos and such is okay for the 15-rep weeks, but I suggest dropping all but the core 3 lifts in the 5-rep weeks (and potentially 3-rep weeks), so maximal effort can be put forth in the lifts that will really bring the growth out.

The following suggestion is for the advanced trainee, only....certainly not for the beginner.

-15 rep week(s) - 10 exercises, can include isos, 3x per week, 1 set
-10 rep week(s) - 5 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench, dip, pullup), 2x per week, 1 set
-5 rep week(s) - 3 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench), 2x per week, 2 sets
-3 rep week(s) - 3 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench), 2x per week, 3 sets

Now, by the end of the 3-rep weeks, you *may* feel a bit re-energized. I have found that the 3-rep range and under does not particularly drain my CNS. If that's the case for you, you can repeat the 5-rep weeks and 3-rep weeks again b/4 SD.

All three Quad. However, if I were training for competitive strength lifting only, I would be doing much more for CNS training and form perfection.

Just remember, more recent studies show that there definitely is a minimum amount of work that needs to be done to get results. I know, many bros don't care what science says, but I've found that I need a minimum amount of reps done with each lift or I don't get a whole lot out of it.

Volume is not the devil. It's just something you need to keep in control, but use it like it was meant to be used.

As previously stated. Clustering to 15 reps 3x weekly is a great place to start. As you continue, you may wish to up the rep count.

Since it's on the board, what do you guys think would work better for hypertrophy:

Using a single load total, and enough weight to be effective;
two sets of 15 reps, or,
three sets of 10? - - - - - I would think the three, but,

What about using three sets of 10 or,
6 sets of 5?  - - - - - - I would think it would depend on the individual a lot.

I personally don't believe one set of anything is any good unless it's to failure or burn, compared to any other number of sets. That is, unless you're a newbie.

O&amp;G found that single sets of multiple exercises works better than multiple sets of the same exercise. I must assume that is comparing one exersize for a muscle, with several exersizes for the same muscle.  It would seem to me that it would really depend on which rep range you are on, as this thread began to indicate. Slapshot's post is a good example, altough I would have structured it differently for myself, like this here:

-15 rep week(s) - 10 exercises, can include isos, 3x per week, 2 sets on most.
-10 rep week(s) - 7-8 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench, dip, pullup, OVHD press, row), 3x per week, 2 sets
-5 rep week(s) - 3-4 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench, pullup), 3x per week, 3 sets
-3 rep week(s) - 3 exercises, core (squat, dead, bench), 3x per week, 3 sets
This was based on what I've known my body to handle, and it's still a lot less than what some of you do. I've been wanting to end a cycle with 3's anyway, and thought I'd do DrPierre's idea of 3x10 until reading this thread. Better to go sXXX-heavy x3 IMO.
This is all how I'd like to cycle this time since I just finished a 5x5 and need some conditioning and regrowth. Slap's program is more strength-oriented.

Quad,

Actually, the program I outlined is for hypertrophy, with an element of strength thrown in at the end to enable one to lift more on the next cycle (or extend the current cycle). Your sets of 3, if done twice per week, might also act as a mini de-con, enabling you to re-visit the 5-rep weeks to maximize growth before the real SD.

I guess it's just me, but personally, I don't see how anyone can do squats/deads/bench 3x per week on the heavy weeks, in addition to all the other exercises that people throw in there. I know I can't, but maybe that's cuz I'm a big wuss:D

Here's the tradeoff with my program: you spend less time working with submaximal weights, and more time working with maximal weights, and taking more rest in between. This should, in theory, enable you to lift more poundages, which should, in turn, increase hypertrophy. The difference between what I'm doing and the hypertrophy version is simply the number of reps and the calories crammed in the pie hole
smile.gif

Taking into consideration that that there exists no one-size-fits-all program for everyone, I still think it's better to do the &quot;big 3&quot; 2x per week, and maybe shoot for pushing greater poundages, than 3x per week using less poundages and a greater number of exercises. I don't think one can have his cake and eat it too in that regard. To avoid CNS crash, you either must workout with smaller weights more frequently, or heavier weights less frequently.

For this cycle (the two day split, twice per week) I am using 12 reps and then 8 reps in each week. Therefore, for larger muscles such as chest, the first chest day I do 12 reps of 4 exercises or 48 total reps. The second chest day, I do 8 reps of 4 exercises or 32 reps total reps. For the week, I thus do 80 reps. I don't think that is significantly different volume-wise than most HST variations.

My last cycle wherein I worked out full body style 4 times per week, I did 15, 12, 8 and 5 reps each week with two sets per major body part. That still comes out to 80 reps per week per major muscle group.

The only changes I have made are to double the sets and halve the workout frequency and double the rest period. The only change away from the 'vanilla' HST routine that I do is to do all reps ranges each week instead of in blocks of one rep range per week or for two weeks. It all averages out over the length of the cycle no matter which technique you employ. Variety in reps keeps me fresher mentally.

Therefore, while I seem to be straying away from HST, I don't think that I am. And, like Tot, I believe that there is a minimum amount of volume that is necessary to allow for growth. I just do it over a number of exercises instead of just one or two exercises per bodypart with multiple sets. Science has proven, at least to my satisfaction, that multiple sets of the same exercise has a steep diminishing returns curve. What science has not yet told me is if this is somewhat overcome by doing multiple exercises. Perhaps someday this will be effectively researched. Until then, intuition and experience tells me that multiple exercises has a bit of an edge. How much of an edge. I have no idea but, at my age, I will take any edge that may be available, even if I am just fooling myself mentally.    
laugh.gif

Heck, whatever keeps us in the gym, right?
Slaps said, <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;Here's the tradeoff with my program: you spend less time working with submaximal weights, and more time working with maximal weights, and taking more rest in between. This should, in theory, enable you to lift more poundages, which should, in turn, increase hypertrophy. &quot;</div>
That, to me, just described powerlifting. Not that we wouldn't grow on it. As for doing squats and deads together in a program, I'd have to switch somewhere along the line to alternating them, or using the squats for a deads warmup, aka the 5x5 way.

All of these &quot;tweaks&quot; of differing reps and sets with HST are great, but I still try to keep in mind that we have to know our limitations and abilities, and be able to make adjustments on the fly. Vanilla HST is great to start with, and gets you to know your abilities, knowledge you can use later in this manner. I accept that I can be corrected at any time on a point, but that point may be something that has or may work for me.
High reps are working for Sci because he just got into great condition. Maybe he even needs them. High reps have killed my gains before, but I need them now to GET into condition. Stuff like that.

Back