How to Simply Win - I'm Back!

HectaM

Hey guys,

I've been gone for quite awhile.

Been very busy, and also went in a nice looong sailing trip in the San Juans.
smile.gif

I just wanted to put a plug in here for the Simplify and Win program.

It's doin me just fine!
smile.gif

I'm pretty deep into my 5's at the moment and almost pushing for my new maxes.

I'll be goin for about 1.5 to 2 weeks more and then onto a SD.

Right now I'm on a bulk with about 500 calories above maintenance.

Probably one of the most effective bulks I've been on to date.

I just discovered the YouTube thing for myself and actually uploaded a couple vids of the simplify and win routine in action.

Well... kinda...
smile.gif
Just really me doing deadlifts and squats.

But it was kinda fun, and now I feel like I am one with the mighty YouTube universe!

Here they are:

Deadlifts @ 330 x 5 (On Monday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1yO7O233c

ATG Squats @ 235 x 5 (Yesterday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJoLWWvDj0

Any comments on form?

Thanks, and Simplify and Win!

form looked pretty good to me, far better than most folks I see at my gym.

I keep noticing that BBer / working for better looking body types spend what to me seems like a long time at the bottom , I suppose that this might not be a big deal since the same type of lifter is usually going for (relatively) higher reps anyway - but there is some stored energy from descent down to grip the bar that can be released as a "recoil" type momentum in the muscles/body , but it quickly dissapates if you spend time at the bottom " setting up" , this is why Andy Bolton gets set while bent from waist , then a few "hip pumps" then blam! Benedikt does a very quick dip and grip , sometimes "rolling the bar" a few inches to add even more "momentum" so to speak , these are just two familiar examples you guys would know - you really dont see PLers of any caliber doing that " ok I'm set , let me take a (motionless) few moments here and get mentally ready while I watch any stored energy slip away " stuff - probably not a major point for your average HSTer but for 1rm max attempts it might be benificial to be cognizant of this dynamic . Of course this is highly amplified when using gear , but even raw this "recoil" or stored energy exists for a short period of time in the body itself.

With that said... looks good to me!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Nov. 01 2007,15:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but there is some stored energy from descent down to grip the bar that can be released as a &quot;recoil&quot; type momentum in the muscles/body , but it quickly dissapates if you spend time at the bottom &quot; setting up&quot;</div>
So you set your feet, bend over and grip the bar, take a breath, then just dip down and rip...?
rock.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Nov. 01 2007,16:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(RUSS @ Nov. 01 2007,15:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but there is some stored energy from descent down to grip the bar that can be released as a &quot;recoil&quot; type momentum in the muscles/body , but it quickly dissapates if you spend time at the bottom &quot; setting up&quot;</div>
So you set your feet, bend over and grip the bar, take a breath, then just dip down and rip...?  
rock.gif
</div>
Thats one way , another is the same only while getting that last 5 seconds of &quot;mental ready&quot; and everything tight , AFTER set up with foot and grip is to do a few &quot;hip pumps&quot; - but to answer your question , simply - yes. Checking out a few Utube vids of the greats while knowing to watch for it will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about. While it may not be as crucial to higher rep sets - for single max attempts when &quot;fine tuning&quot; can equal more total pounds it becomes an issue.I will try to find links to info as I'm admittedly not the greatest at describing it in print.
smile.gif

I thought your form on the squats was excellent. I'm still learning what proper DL form is, but it looked pretty good to me.

Tunnelrat-

6. You're taking too long between your set-up and the actual pull. This is something I'm guilty of myself. In the past, I'd get my feet lined up, drop down to the bar, set my grip, spend a few seconds focusing while looking down, then get my eyes up, fire the heels into the floor, and pull.

Technically, it wasn't too bad. Then I watched a video of one of my meet pulls and realized that it took me a full 11 seconds to pull from the time that I first contacted the bar. As a result, I lost every shred of help I could get from the stretch-shortening cycle (the elastic energy of which takes several seconds to dissipate completely) present from my drop to the bar. Suffice it to say that since seeing that video, I'm pulling more &quot;promptly.&quot;

Solutions: Think about all your cues before you get up to the bar. Then, when the time comes, bend forward at the hips and get your grip set one hand at a time. Once the grip is set, think of pulling yourself down to the bar and into the appropriate starting posture.

Rip it off the floor immediately; don't wait for every bit of elastic energy you stored from the initial drop to die off. You'll see some lifters &quot;dive&quot; into the bar and come back up right away. It takes a ton of practice to get your grip perfect at such a rapid pace, but the &quot;dip, grip, and rip&quot; approach has proven quite successful for these veterans of the iron game.

from Eric cresseys deadlift diagnosis

-more to follow
smile.gif

2. Do every set the way you do your meet lift. If you are a dive bomber type, do your sets that way. If you are a slow set-up guy, try to keep it at less than 15 seconds. The longer you are over the bar, the more you might fail. Jack uses the slow set-up, then extends his legs and drops his hips to the bar to get some stretch reflex.

From deadlift with style- thomas phillips

smile.gif

The conventional set-up:

Walk to the bar with the feet about shoulder width apart. The shins should be 2-4 inches from the bar. Some minute experimentation will find the exact spot you need to be. As you lean over to the bar, grab it the same way as you did in the sumo except outside the legs a few inches on the knurling, touching the calves.

The conventional attempt/pull:

Take a small breath and dip the hips and pull. One variation of this technique used nowadays is to dip, roll the bar a few inches out in front of you, and then reverse and pull it back in. As it gets to the shins start the pull upward. Some momentum can be obtained from this and the bar can be started in closer to the center of gravity. If not done exactly right, however, a moving bar can be a problem.
- By Ricky Dale Crain
The Deadlift:

These three quoted things say what I was pointing out better than I did , to quote more would be borderline obnoxious - HectaM sorry for taking up so much of your thread , like I said it's a &quot;fine tuning&quot; matter that may not be as crucial to &quot;for rep sets &quot;- and your form looked fine to me.
smile.gif

RUSS,

No problem
smile.gif

Thanks for the great info! I never thought about the fact that most big lifts are done with the guys borderline running up to the bar and pulling it right away.

Probably for the exact same reason you're talking about. But yea, it may not apply to reps, but it may help get the first one up
smile.gif

Everyone else,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the support and guidance. You guys rock!
smile.gif

form look very deceny on both to me, however i have to have a calmp on the bar when sqautting the rattling plates just unnerve me, i laways think one will fall off
laugh.gif

Back