HST again.

Hi guys. Been laid off from lifting since my wife got pregnant and we had a baby daughter. She is a cutie and a lot of work, but well worth it.
Summer is finally here an I need to clean up the gym and dust off the IRON!

I decided to start with Bryan's original HST program.

Fullbody workouts, 3x/week.

2 weeks of ramping 15s (1 set of 15)
2 weeks of ramping 10s (2 sets of 10)
2 weeks of ramping 5s (3 sets of 5 reps)
2 weeks of 5 rep maxes (3 sets of 5 reps)
1 week of SD.

Start cycle over.

Lower/Upper 6day split.

Lower body
Lunges
RDLs
Calf raises
Hanging leg raises

Upper body
DB Flyes
DB Presses
Supported Rows
DB laterals
NG Pulldowns
Dips
DB Curls

I think I can handle this routine.
I will keep the diet simple and try to maintain adequate protein, vitamin and water intake, along with a few supplements like whey, fish oil, and soy lecithin.

I will attempt to do morning workouts at 7 am for approx. one hour which I should be able to fit into my new business (and baby) schedule, but we'll see if that works out. I'll have to start going to bed earlier to pull that off.

I imagine I'll grow muscle back at a fairly rapid pace using the above "vanilla" HST program, especially after such a long layoff. I am out of shape badly, but it will come back soon enough if I keep up the program.

I hope I have the discipline to follow this through now. I'll be starting this Monday.

First day was funny. Using little teen-tiny baby weights and focusing on my form. I feel like a weak noob! lol.

Bodyweight: 192.5 lb.s

Lean mass: 162 lb.s
Fat mass: 30.5 lb.s

Bodyfat: 15.88%

I guess I will start with a cut for the first couple of cycles. I look flabby in the "before" pic I took today and 15.88% is a lot higher than I want to be.
sad.gif

Upper body started today.

It was way easier than the lower body, as usual. I am appreciable weak upstairs too. I sure hope I get back to my old strength levels soon!

I am too embarassed to post my loads. First day of 15s after a long layoff....let's just say I was using the pink and blue dumbells today!
laugh.gif

Welcome back, sci. Welcome to fatherhood too!

I hope the cycle goes well - and don't be embarrassed to post the loads. Heaven knows we all have used the pink and blue DB's from time to time. You have to start somewhere after a layoff.

Thanks tim. I'll post the loads next time. Hopefully after a couple of weeks my body will get over the initial shock and I'll start getting my strength slowly back.

I was just finishing the 15s and I injured my lower back moving a kingsize bed upstairs....alone. VEry stupid of me, and I will be tkaing an early "forced SD" as I can barely walk now. Slight tear in the erector spinae muscle where it attaches to the hip bone.
sad.gif

I hope it heals quick. I need to get back into stretching too.

It has been 5 LONG weeks since I injured my lower back. Actually it turned out to be the quadratus muscle on the right lowerback/hip area. Also the biceps femoris of my right hamstring, gluteus medius and right side oblique among others was overstrained.
Basically I blew out the entire posterior chain of the right hip, and it really sucked. 2 weeks of massage therapy just to walk without severe pain, and then another 3 weeks of intensive stretching to get where I am now which is about 90% of my usual.
Stretching my hips has become my number one health priority, I now do Yoga exercises twice/day minimum and it is helping me tremendously.

Anyway, I feel I am now healthy enough to get back into HST.

Lunges, squats and very light deadlifts will be priority to bring up the lame hip, and flyes, chinups, rows, dips will take care of the upper body. I'll probably do some calf raises to finish off.
Mainly I am going to continue the Yoga and I feel that it will help my progress greatly in the weight room.

Log to continue soon with real weigthlifting...
biggrin.gif

Before and after pics eventually.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jul. 20 2009,1:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It has been 5 LONG weeks since I injured my lower back.  Actually it turned out to be the quadratus muscle on the right lowerback/hip area.  Also the biceps femoris of my right hamstring, gluteus medius and right side oblique among others was overstrained.
Basically I blew out the entire posterior chain of the right hip, and it really sucked.  2 weeks of massage therapy just to walk without severe pain, and then another 3 weeks of intensive stretching to get where I am now which is about 90% of my usual.
Stretching my hips has become my number one health priority, I now do Yoga exercises twice/day minimum and it is helping me tremendously.

Anyway, I feel I am now healthy enough to get back into HST.

Lunges, squats and very light deadlifts will be priority to bring up the lame hip, and flyes, chinups, rows, dips will take care of the upper body.  I'll probably do some calf raises to finish off.
Mainly I am going to continue the Yoga and I feel that it will help my progress greatly in the weight room.

Log to continue soon with real weigthlifting...
biggrin.gif

Before and after pics eventually.</div>
What's up chief?

Glad to hear your recovery went well. Just out of curiosity, what kind of yoga are you doing? I need to get into that **** at some point, I suspect :-x

No particular school of yoga, just stretching, breathing and relaxing the mind and body. It sounds faggy, but it feels awesome and it is helping keep my out of a wheelchair at this point, so its all good.

Mikey, seeing how deep you go in squats, I think your hips are probably plenty flexible, but it never hurts to stretch everything a bit at least once/day.

I start with the hips, they take forever....extension, flexion, adduction, abduction in different planes. I also stretch the spine, neck, and shoulders.
Afterwards the body feels quite relaxed and supple.
Its all about relaxing into the pose and &quot;letting go&quot; of the tension. Its a great mental stress reliever also.

I suspect that longterm, Yoga will have a positive benefit on my overall physique, if for no other reason than keeping me from being injured and losing muscle gains as is so common in bodybuilding.
Imagine months, even years of natural lifting and HST bodybuilding WITHOUT injury to come and bury all your hard-earned gains. Seems possible if the body is kept supple enough and good form is used along with the normal HST progession cycles.

We'll see, hopefully this will be a good run and I'll put on all my previous muscle and then some.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jul. 20 2009,2:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No particular school of yoga, just stretching, breathing and relaxing the mind and body.  It sounds faggy, but it feels awesome and it is helping keep my out of a wheelchair at this point, so its all good.

Mikey, seeing how deep you go in squats, I think your hips are probably plenty flexible, but it never hurts to stretch everything a bit at least once/day.

I start with the hips, they take forever....extension, flexion, adduction, abduction in different planes.  I also stretch the spine, neck, and shoulders.
Afterwards the body feels quite relaxed and supple.
Its all about relaxing into the pose and &quot;letting go&quot; of the tension.  Its a great mental stress reliever also.

I suspect that longterm, Yoga will have a positive benefit on my overall physique, if for no other reason than keeping me from being injured and losing muscle gains as is so common in bodybuilding.
Imagine months, even years of natural lifting and HST bodybuilding WITHOUT injury to come and bury all your hard-earned gains.  Seems possible if the body is kept supple enough and good form is used along with the normal HST progession cycles.

We'll see, hopefully this will be a good run and I'll put on all my previous muscle and then some.</div>
Totally agreed...

Aside from the desire to get as strong (and likely, as a consequence, as muscular) as possible, I want to be as healthy as possible, so I've thought about this stuff more the past couple of years.

I need to chime in on yoga....

I've been doing yoga for a while now, and the benefits are many. From a recovery perspective, yoga is amazing. From a flexibility perspective, yoga implicitly forces one to become more ply - and in so doing, prevents injury. The biggest benefit, though, is mental. You learn ways of remaining focused unlike anything (well, anything I've ever experienced). That type of mental focus comes in handy when you start attempting max lifts. TRUST ME.

I use the Yoga Zone DVD's that used to be very easy to find - I haven't seen 'em lately. I think I got mine originally on Amazon...
smile.gif

Good luck, sci.

Thanks for the support. I'll be ripped up in no time with the HST program!

STarted VERY light using 10s, I have not the endurance for 15s just yet, and just guessed with some weights. Don't laugh, it'll get better, especially when when I get back into my max-stim training!

Lunges: 50x10
Squats: 95x10
Deads: 135 x10
Single Calf raises: 95x10
Pulldowns: 90x10
Dips: BWX14
Supproted high Rows: 70x10
Flyes: 30sx10
Laterals: 10s x10
Curls: 25sx10

Broke a good sweat, expecting heavy DOMS tomorrow. Mid-back was iffy during deads, need to strengthen the spinal erectors for sure.

My upper body was fine today.  Hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps and lower bakc were very sore though.  Had to do a full hour of Yoga tonight just to release the tension and lactic acid and get full range of motion back.
This is my &quot;secret ingredient&quot; this cycle.  I never stretched much and looking back, it lead to poor performance and injury in my weight training.  Now I see how this will help me stay limber and I think aid in active recovery.  I hope to see more frequent workouts this way.  Previously twice/week has been my max for extended periods.  I am hoping that with stretching I can manage the 3x/week fullbody or upper/lower 6 day split to get the higher frequency in that Bryan's version of HST recommends.

Back