HST and BJJ/Swimming

Bruin

Hey guys, I am just starting my first cycle of HST and wanted to know what kind of experiences any of you have had doing HST while participating in athletic activities on off days.

I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3 times a week on what are off days from lifting:Tues, Thurs, Sun and also occasionally like to do a moderate swimming workout (~2500m) to stay in shape for spearfishing/lobsterdiving. Will this have a significant adverse affect on my HST results?

One of the reasons HST seemed like such a good program for me is that the volume starts off at a very reasonable level and gives your body time to adapt as it steadily increases. Previously I was attempting a variation of a Chad Waterbury full body routine, which was great except that coupled with BJJ I was becoming overtrained and taking long periods of time to recover.

If anyone has any input or even better yet personal experiences mixing HST with a demanding sport I would love to hear how it worked out for you.

I don't have experience, just some speculation. How about doing an HST routine focusing on just 4 or 5 lifts?

Dead Lifts
Squats
Rows
Bench Press
Military Press

Use HST and enough calories to build the major muscles, But reduce the danger of over training by keeping lifting to an effective minimum.

Back