HST and Triathlon

Maximuscrates

Hi All,

Been a while since I made a post. Glad to see my user-name still exists.

The fall before last I began swimming a lot more and doing HST a lot less.

My swimming got a lot better. However my strength has gone down so my swimming could be better if they were combined again.

So basically what I am trying to say it that while training for triathlons, my weight training is now non existent.

I did a short HST program last summer with mainly dumbbell squats and dumbbell press and I saw a sharp increase in my average bike speed.

I just bought a house and got a gym set up in the basement so now I can really set up a sweet HST routine that will hopefully not be too long. It needs to be easy so that my fatigue from swimming biking or running wont make we not want to do it.

I got:

2 bike fluid trainers (one is for the wife though)
1 chin bar
1 adjustable bench.
2 dumbbells
1 easy curl bar
lots of steel weights.

My old HST routines lacked chins because I didn't have a chin bar.

This is what I think my new program should consist of (not including the swim, biking or running):

Chins (I can only do 10 so Ill have to break these one up for the 15's 10's 5's and post 5's.) Also, palms facing or palms out? I think palms out because i want more work in the lats which mine are small.

30' Dumbbell press (this is what ive been doing for a while but does anyone think a flat bench press would be better?)

Squats (dumbbells and i ran out of weight and space last year so i need 20 more lbs or so)

Straight leg straight back dumbbell lifts

Shoulder Press (should I do Arnold or military? my shoulders are stronger from swimming but still lagging)

My biceps and triceps seem well developed so I dont think i require iso's for those. They should get worked from the press and chins.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

as for abs i might do pilates or yoga once a week with the gf.

I had the best triathlon ever last summer before spraining my ankle 1 week before my next one.

Here were my results. 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Swim 24:41
Bike 1:18:49
Run 48:58

Total 2:36:18

Hi, I'm a swimmer here who's been around the HST block a while. I just restarted my first cycle in a while.

Constant HST may not be the best idea for a triathlete - this is a workout for gaining size, and you don't need to be sizey to be a good triathlete.

That said, throwing in an HST cycle every now and then is a great idea - the 15s are helping me already.

- Chins palms out is much more natural for swimmers
- Shoulder presses are a push exercise, swimming is more pull. They shouldn't hurt, but I don't expect them to help with swimming. Arnolds are great for breaststrokers, but I doubt you'll be doing any of that.

You might actually be interested in doing a lateral pullover (laying down) instead.

- Don't underestimate the importance of triceps in swimming and biking. Lately I've been doing very well with skull crushers on a slight incline.

Keep us informed, your times are great! I'd have you in the swim, but you'd catch up shortly after
smile.gif

A sled to pull would be something right in your line. I made mine from a tire, a 2x10 piece, some old cement weights (*you could use rocks), and an eye bolt. I pull it with a car towing strap, my weight belt, and a LOT of sweat in a SHORT time!

You need more work in your life Quads. Pulling something like that down the street is going to get you a padded cell. Come on up to my farm. I have plenty of pushing, pulling and other hernia making exercises for you to do and you won't look funny doing it. Might have to change your outfit though, especially with winter knocking on our door.
biggrin.gif

Hahaha.

Hate to bring it back on topic, but last night I had the best swimming practice of the fall. I forgot how great HST combines with swimming. The 15s (and some caffeine!) are just what the doctor ordered.

Can't wait for week 2 when they start getting hard.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I think my neighbors would think I was special if i dragged a tire down the street ; however cool it may be to do so.

I did a 50m sprint last year in 29.7seconds. My dive is awful and so is my flip turn.

So if I work on those and do some hst I think I could take off a few more seconds. My swimming has also improved a lot since then.

Any swim kick specific exercises?

Squats will be great for my bike but my swim kick isn't great. hipflexors...?

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Oct. 31 2009,4:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the recommendations.

I think my neighbors would think I was special if i dragged a tire down the street ; however cool it may be to do so.

I did a 50m sprint last year in 29.7seconds. My dive is awful and so is my flip turn.

So if I work on those and do some hst I think I could take off a few more seconds. My swimming has also improved a lot since then.

Any swim kick specific exercises?

Squats will be great for my bike but my swim kick isn't great. hipflexors...?</div>
Hey under 30 seconds is great!

Kicking comes from the hips - you don't need to kick hard to have a good kick. Kicks are m like rhythmic tools for me (in freestyle, at least). Keep the legs loose.

Lunges fit the HST profile and add for good kick strength. Lunges where you hold a shorter straight bar over your head (overhead lunges?) are awesome.

Flip turns are all technique and are by far my strength... which doesn't help in open water swims!!! Squats obviously help with these.

First off, I SPEED UP into the wall. I want to get in and GTFO.

Second, don't turn ON the wall. Do a flip, land upside down, push off the wall upside down, then rotate after your push off. Anytime I see people turning during their flip turn or on the wall, I see how much it slows them down. If you are wasting time turning on the wall, your velocity = 0 all that time when you could be rotating while moving your body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtP8xgzm6do

Third, foot placement. The above video helps, but repetition and practice is best. Land too high and you'll go straight down. Land too low and you'll come straight up.

Fourth, try not to breathe within the flags. In practice, if you can go two strokes before your turn and two strokes after on every single wall, you will build up lung strength like you won't believe.

Fifth, and this is hard to explain, but you can have a boost if you use your arms properly throughout the entire turn. Watch the slow motion part of the video. Just before 24 seconds, he uses his stroke to help propel his body into the turn. But then at 25 seconds, after he is now upside down, he reverses his arm force in the opposite direction to finish the circle. See what I'm saying? Angular force almost the entire time. A bit more advanced.

Sixth - Core strength in general.

A great exercise I like to do is to simply lie on your back, elevate your legs 6 inches (or leave them hanging over the side of the pool), and do flutter kick in the air while tightening your abs. Go in sets of 45 seconds or so. Navy SEALs do these for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7ZNKHHh1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8drdaRWL8

Way longer post than I planned, but enjoy.

Here's me coming out of the water:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos....1_n.jpg

I cut wayy too much weight for that race but it was fun... 2 miles against the current for 9th place!

Back