HST and yoga

NorthMSAllstar

I started PodFitness a week ago, after a couple days found Bryan and the HST program there.

I’m 30 years old. 6’ 3”, 160 lb. 5.5% body fat. I’ve been working out inconsistently since junior high, always trying to gain weight but never sticking with any plan for more than a few months, never knowing if I’m doing the right thing. I have a metabolism that allows me to eat anything and not gain weight.

A year and half ago, I discovered yoga and have been more consistent in that practice than anything I’ve ever done. I have a really great/tough instructor, and it is a great strength workout in addition to the flexibility/balance aspect. I also feel more comfortable with my body than I ever have.

Over the course of the past 7 days, I have done 6 days of the Push/Pull HST program, and I LOVE IT. For the most part, I’ve been hitting each muscle group only once a week (at most) for the past few years and not really seeing any gains.

This Push/Pull version of HST is one day is pushing, the next day pulling. Each workout is apx 8 different exercises, with 30 seconds between each exercise, so it’s pretty fast paced. I’m in and out in about 40 minutes.

In researching Bryan and HST, I found the this site. I understand what he is saying regarding needing to hit the muscle groups more often. It makes sense to me, so I plan to stick with the Push/Pull HST and PodFitness.

My question is regarding yoga. I really want to keep doing yoga, and the Push/Pull HST is a 6 day per week thing. I would like to do 2 days of yoga a week. My options to get in those two classes are Sunday afternoon, Monday night, and Wednesday night. I’m doing the P/P HST primarily at lunch (work 8-5). The style of yoga that we do is about 80% “pushing” I would guess, so there is NO WAY I could do a yoga class after a pushing workout day. I did a pull workout today at lunch, and I am going to give yoga a shot tonight. I’m afraid I’ll be doing too much if I do yoga and lifting on the same day consistently though. We'll see.

So, my initial idea (if I’m feeling overworked with pull workouts and yoga on the same day) is to make it an 8-day workout week with 6 days of Push/Pull HST and 2 days of yoga. Should there be a 9th day off? I’m telling you, this yoga class is pretty intense, so it probably doesn’t qualify as a day off.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I guess I’ll know more after a couple weeks of this but thought I might as well get some input.

Thanks!

You can do both, just need to add some meat to your bones and build up your conditioning. Very few people actually overtrain, the HIT movement is ridiculous because it made everyone think they were overtraining. Usually only professional athletes are at risk of overtraining, everyone else just needs to slowly build up their workload capacity/conditioning.

I can't say squat for 'yoga', but you said: "I’ve been working out inconsistently since junior high, always trying to gain weight but never sticking with any plan for more than a few months, never knowing if I’m doing the right thing."

Well, there's two mistakes right there. You need consistency and to stick with a program for it to work. Any program. I'll bet hopping around didn't do much for you after your first 6 months, did it?

What you say about being able to eat anything and not gain weight is just not true. I challenge you to drink a gallon of whole milk a day along with your usual food intake and see where you are in a weeks time.

Fact is, most folks in your position actually don't eat a whole lot even if they think they are. If you are eating very 'clean' foods then you can eat a whole lot of volume but actually not consume many total calories. A good eating plan will be essential to ensure that you take in enough. If you are following a good training regime (like HST) and can't gain a pound of bodyweight every few weeks then you will need to add calories to your diet (around 250 a day).

If you want to stay at under 10% bf and gain muscle you are going to have to be pretty darn careful with your calorie intake and monitor visually as you make gains. Don't be too worried if you add some fat though. It can be stripped off again at a later stage with a few months of careful dieting.

I used to be one of those guys who could "eat anything and not gain a pound." So... Lol is right. You have to start eating all the time, eating until you think you will puke - maybe sometimes you will - then take three big dumps a day and watch the scale start to climb.

AM - 4 mins Tabata (as a warm-up)
20 mins:
triangle/warrior poses
up/down dog
sun salutation to finish
cool.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 02 2007,21:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What you say about being able to eat anything and not gain weight is just not true. I challenge you to drink a gallon of whole milk a day along with your usual food intake and see where you are in a weeks time.

Fact is, most folks in your position actually don't eat a whole lot even if they think they are. If you are eating very 'clean' foods then you can eat a whole lot of volume but actually not consume many total calories. A good eating plan will be essential to ensure that you take in enough. If you are following a good training regime (like HST) and can't gain a pound of bodyweight every few weeks then you will need to add calories to your diet (around 250 a day).

If you want to stay at under 10% bf and gain muscle you are going to have to be pretty darn careful with your calorie intake and monitor visually as you make gains. Don't be too worried if you add some fat though. It can be stripped off again at a later stage with a few months of careful dieting.</div>
I hear ya.  I guess I just have a hard time making eating a job.  I'm willing to get in the gym 6 days a week for an hour, but I don't know if i'm willing to be worried about &quot;am i eating enough&quot; 24/7.  I've started making small changes like adding a sausage/biscuit to my usual coffee/muffin for breakfast, and I’m drinking a protein drink (10 g of protein) in the morning and the afternoon.  I'm eating two chicken salad sanwiches for at least one of my meals each day.

I’m really digging the P/P HST plan (just did day 8 of 15’s at lunch) though and really feel confident that I’m on the right workout plan now, so if I’m not seeing some weight gain after a few weeks, I’ll start counting calories.  I’m not aiming for 210 or anything here.  I think I would be content at 185 or so.

<div>
(NorthMSAllstar @ Apr. 04 2007,15:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I’m not aiming for 210 or anything here. I think I would be content at 185 or so.</div>
I'll bet my gym that once you hit 185, you'll want 200. And once you hit 200, you'll want 220.

Once upon a time, I thought I'd be happy with 190...

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 04 2007,16:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(NorthMSAllstar @ Apr. 04 2007,15:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I’m not aiming for 210 or anything here.  I think I would be content at 185 or so.</div>
I'll bet my gym that once you hit 185, you'll want 200.  And once you hit 200, you'll want 220.

Once upon a time, I thought I'd be happy with 190...</div>
yes, this is exactly how it goes.
you have a mental picture of 185 and you like what you see. if and when you get there you will look much better (larger, more muscular) but you will be the last person to appreciate it so youll begin to dream of 200 and so and so on......

dont worry to much about that, its just the way of the world. you will definitly look and feel better as you continue to gain just dont ever expect it to live up to your hopes.

the real question is what are you going to do about it? gaining wgt/muscle is 50% w/o and 50% diet. you seem to be on the right track with HST and even yoga (since your enjoying both) covering the w/o portion. try to find a balance between the two so they become complimentary as opposed to one negatively impacting the other. it sounds like your well versed in yoga so perhaps a little less time there and more spent lifting (until you see you bw wgt and strength climb) would pay off in the long run.

please dont discount the diet aspect of your training. if you want to look different then you do now you will have to act different then you do now. this doesnt mean you have to immediatly start eating 4k cals every day for the next 5yrs (but it might). what it means is your going to have to do a lot of reading in the diet/nutrition secton (here and on other forums) and start eating more and more as time goes on. trust me, 80% of the folks here started out believing they were hi-metabolism ectomorphs who could gain a pound no matter how much they ate. once you do the research and the math and find out how much your NOT eating and how much you can eat once you work your way up...........it will all be clear.

i would try to get your diet &quot;knowledge&quot; on par with your yoga and HST knowledge. if you stick with lifting long enough but dont concentrate on diet as well you will someday reach a point where you have an epiphany, slap your forehead with your hand and say &quot;DUUUHHH, if ony i knew then what i know now&quot;

good luck

When I was a teenager I thought I would look like Conan if I was 200 lb.s and lean. It seemed like an ultimate goal since I was a 140 lb. freshman.
Now I am close to 200 lb.s and although people can tell I lift weights, I don't look anywhere near as jacked as I thought I would at this weight. I think I will need to be 220 to get as big and strong as I want to be. Sometimes I doubt I can even reach my goals naturally, but guys like Stevejones are an inspiration.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 04 2007,23:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Joe....I still need to improve though.</div>
Dont we all :-)
biggrin.gif

Back