HST Article - on bodybuilding site

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

I read the below article and would like read some opinions from other HSTrs.  Especially the part about training 3 days and then and off a day.
Currently, I'm doing a 2 day split six days a week and take off Sundays. I do upper body workout 1 day and alternate with lower body workout. I do one hour cardio behind every workout.
I'm doing Whey protein and small amounts of creatine...along with a good carb load after each workout. My gains are good considering....my workouts schedules have been lousy up until they past month. I'm not trying to bulk as much as I am trying to lower my bodyfat and add lean muscle. (that shows)  
CLICK TO ARTICLE at Bobybuilding.com
thumbs-up.gif

Not an HST article at all.

Merely the writer's "personal rulebook" into gaining muscle, which seems more based on his perception of what builds muscle and what doesn't, instead of taking from the abundance of muscle research already available. As a result, he gets some things right, and some things really off by a mile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Base the majority of your training on compound movements.
Bench presses
Squats
Military presses
Deadlifts
Dips
Upright rows
Leg presses
Stiff deadlifts, etc.
These will do more to develop your physique than any "isolation" or machine/cable movement ever could.
I am not saying you should avoid "isolation" and machine training entirely, but make sure the core of your program revolves around heavy, compound exercises.
Good advice. No argument there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Train intensely, but briefly. Our bodies have limited amounts of recovery ability, as well as a limited ability to put toward building new muscle tissue. The best stimulus for building muscle is intense weight training in which each set is taken near to, or fully to, absolute "failure," or the point in which another strict repetition cannot be performed.
Almost got it, but then made a 360 degree turn and missed it by a mile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, while intense training is exactly what sets in motion the adaptations necessary for gaining size and strength, it is also precisely what taps deep into our recovery ability. Since we recover first, and grow second, we must make sure to never "overtax" our systems' ability to recover.
He must be confusing what actually needs to recover, since he doesn't mention anything about the CNS at all. Again, missed by a mile. Also, you can keep on growing despite CNS fatigue, excpet that CNS fatigue will usually affect your performance, and thus indirectly your gains too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have found that workouts need to be completed in an hour or less, otherwise you are in danger of overtraining and under-recovering. This is especially important for those that train drug free.
Not very scientific, but close. Rampant coritsol activity is what is being avoided. However, with proper pre and post workout nutrition, you can train over an hour if you want - especially since most of the time here would probably be rest time between sets, since even a 15-exercise routine with 2 sets each can be completed in an hour, if without chit-chat, without miscellaneous movement and very little rest (total of 30 sets, ~1 minute each set, plus little rest and movement time). I'm not saying you should train over an hour; like him, I'd say just be quick about it (I myself train for only half an hour every day), but he failed to accurately say why, and even pointed to another wrong thing: "under-recovering", whatever that is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do not train more than 2 days in a row without taking a full day off from the gym, especially if you are a natural trainee. This hint is related to # 2 in that it is again concerned with our recovery ability. In my many years of training I have tried every training program imaginable. Three on one off, five on two off, four on one off, etc.
Another miss by a mile. As long as you control your training volume, you can workout everyday. I do that, along with so many others, who use various splits or full-body workouts. Again, muscles are hardy dudes. Eat well, they are good to go. As long as you control your volume, you can train as frequently as you want. The most important thing to keep tabs on is CNS fatigue - and the best way to do it is to avoid training to failure. What's interesting is that the author actually said that training intensely to absolute failure is a "hypertrophy hint" - no wonder he can't train so frequently. If he just stuck to avoiding failure, he'd have made much better progress - and a better article.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eat your protein! This is perhaps the most important of all the advice I can offer. Muscle is protein. Protein is required to build and repair muscle tissue. Not eating enough can hinder your gains no matter how hard you train. How much protein is enough? For most trainees, at least 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight should be consumed daily.
This is a minimum, however. I usually find that faster gains in size and strength are achieved when protein intake is closer to 1.5-2.0 grams per lb. of bodyweight.
Another bodybuilding myth, and so misses reality by a mile with his generalization. The value 1g/lb  is actually rounded up already, the real mean being something around 0.7g/lb.  Also, gaining mass isn't about eating mega amounts of protein as he declares - rather, it's getting the best ratio of protein, carbs, and also fat that you can get.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is also important that you consume your protein over 5-7 daily meals rather than 2 or 3. This way your body will have amino acids readily available throughout the day for growth and repair. Also, you can more efficiently digest smaller, more frequent protein feedings than overly large portions.
Aside from timing your protein immediately before and after workouts (and even this is still being investigated further, we'll know soon enough), there is little proof that many small meals a day is actually more beneficial to hypertrophy. Eat only three meals a day, go ahead, as long as you get enough protein each meal, and as long as you get the calories you need at the end of the day, you are fine. I wonder why he even bothered to recommend such a thing...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To make it easier for you to consume all of this protein, you may wish to purchase one of the many quality MRP's or protein powders that are now available. Two or three meals per day can come from these powders.
Ah, I should have known... an extra promotion to have bodybuilders spend their money on supplements. First he says consume mega amounts of protein, then adds space this out to 5-7 meals a day... then adds the big finish... "MRPs or protein powders". Good job, very scientific. The sad thing is, most probably a lot of our fellow "muscleheads" fell for that one and started gulping down liters of protein drinks a day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Take advantage of the post-workout "anabolic window!" There is such a wonderful opportunity for aiding in your plight for larger and stronger muscles at this time, that I don't know why anyone would not take full advantage! Right after you complete a workout your muscles are starving for protein and carbohydrates. And they are in no mood to wait for it either!
Sure, no argument here. I won't even pick apart what he said further. Everybody already knows to have proper pre and post workout nutrition, so we'll just give it a rest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Use the right supplements. While it is not 100% necessary to use supplements in order to make progress, they certainly can hasten results. The world of supplements can be quite confusing. Sifting through the fantastic claims made by manufacturers can be exciting, but you need to know what is for real and what is just marketing hype.
Good God... I exclaimed as soon as I read the first line. But then as I read on I started having mixed feelings... Fine, he did say supplements are not 100% necessary, and agreed that some manufacturers (or all of them) have fantastic claims as marketing hype, so ok. I agree. You don't have to use supplements, but if you want to, then use the right one. Here's where I disagree. If you already get enough protein, stop buying protein powders. If you want, just spend money on creatine. You don't have to, but if it helps you, go ahead. Honestly, I feel you would be better off spending money on supplements geared towards your general health than on "bodybuilding" since you are most probably already well-fed, and thus are getting all you need already to grow, so use that $20 to make sure you maintain good health.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So there you have it. Six "hints" that can lead to more hypertrophy.
Doubtful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They have helped all of my clients. There is no reason why they can't help you! So what are you waiting for?
All your clients must be untrained individuals, then.
No reason the hints can't help? Here's one: bodybuilding myth.
Pesonally, I'm waiting for more research and the time that more writers will use the abundance of research already available, instead of perpetuating old myths, or relying on what they perceive to help.

There, that's what I think of the article. And once again, it's not an HST article at all.

Regards,
-JV

JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Almost got it, but then made a 360 degree turn and missed it by a mile.

You're hilarious
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Another miss by a mile. As long as you control your training volume, you can workout everyday. I do that, along with so many others, who use various splits or full-body workouts. Again, muscles are hardy dudes. Eat well, they are good to go. As long as you control your volume, you can train as frequently as you want. The most important thing to keep tabs on is CNS fatigue

Yep factual stuff is what we're after, no chance for BS here, there are quite a few HST'ers who know they stuff well, so this type of stuff will be stripped of BS, so that we keep our site and our members on track with just the juicy stuff
happy.gif

A whole lot of guys out there do no justice to teh science behind this sport, they should rather just clam up... :mad:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]rather, it's getting the best ratio of protein, carbs, and also fat that you can get.

Yep, once again right on the money, there is a darn fine balance that must be maintained to obtain good results, the tweaking must be done carefully between the amount of carbs vs. protein around training time and frequency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good job, very scientific. The sad thing is, most probably a lot of our fellow "muscleheads" fell for that one and started gulping down liters of protein drinks a day.

Not too bad in my opinion, who knows maybe the guy likes the fact that so much protein produces some nauseous gases
laugh.gif
besides the fact that he wants to make his $$$ don't we all
laugh.gif
MRP's though are most of the time of poor quality
laugh.gif

One very important point neither Protein powders nor MRP's and their labels etc, etc, etc, are in any way controlled by the FDA so they can very much do what they like, lovely wouldn't you agree :confused:

However if you check some of the manufacturers and their label claims and are quite thourough you can get around.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have tried every training program imaginable.

Obviously not HST so he should re-check his claims
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There, that's what I think of the article. And once again, it's not an HST article at all.

Well, well, sure that says it all doesn't it?

If it ain't written or at least signed off by Bryan, therefore appearing on other sites, it ain't real guys! Check the principles and there you go.
wow.gif

jvroig:

A most excellent response.

The hyper-linked article was referred from the bodybuilding.com if you search on HST. It is amazing how mis-information creeps in...

Thanks to you and fausto for your comments.

thumbs-up.gif

Thank you.

It's my job to debunk "crapola" (as Fausto would call it) and try to clear up things. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss because complexity of some stuff gets lost on a lot of folks - I'm still working on trying to better my explanatory skills (try reading my latest post about CNS fatigue and it's link to the last rep, the point of failure, and you'll see I really haven't improved a lot), but it's darn difficult sometimes when trying to explain scientific stuff to people who just don't have the background. Yeah, that and my poor communication/explanatory skills
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Aside from timing your protein immediately before and after workouts (and even this is still being investigated further, we'll know soon enough), there is little proof that many small meals a day is actually more beneficial to hypertrophy. Eat only three meals a day, go ahead, as long as you get enough protein each meal, and as long as you get the calories you need at the end of the day, you are fine. I wonder why he even bothered to recommend such a thing..." - JV

I had a question regarding this. I heard somewhere that it is better to eat protein every 2-3 hours because it helps with protein synthesis?

To be honest I eat 6 times a day and dont really like it, because of the amount of time it takes and how I always have to have food ready every 3 hours. I spend 4 hours a day just eating. I'd rather eat 3 large meals a day, but I've been reading that eating 6 times a day is crucial for that reason.

I haven't got any studies for you or anything like that but I have read countless posts on here about nutrition and the consensus seems to be that the number of meals really isn't very important, the amount of calories/protein/carbohydrate/fat over the course of the day is. I've read in some places (other sites) how eating small meals regularly is important and in others how eating larger meals more regularly works better as the body uses the nutrients more effectively...at the end of the day do whatever is easier for you, if you find it easier to double the size of your meals and eat 3 times a week go ahead...I don't think anyone would say it would make a crucial difference and I think most would say it won't make any difference.

Just my completely scientifically backed thoughts!
tounge.gif

Cheers

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] heard somewhere that it is better to eat protein every 2-3 hours because it helps with protein synthesis?
How?

Do they say it's supposedly because of amino acid availability in the blood? If that's the case, then still no. As long as you ate something in the last 8 hours (a good meal of course), you most probably still have amino acids in the bloodstream. Possible exceptions to this is if you get your protein from only one source like whey which is a fast-acting protein, lasts only about 2 hours. That would hardly be the case as well-fed athletes would almost have a mixed source of protein - from fish, pork, beef, milk, bread, nuts, rice, vegtables and wherever.

Or is it supposedly because protein synthesis levels are elevated by nutrition? Even if that were the case, that would only affect pre and post... and the increase is not so much, what counts more is still the calories at the end of the day (more specifically, the 24H period after the workout), and of course the macronutrient ratio.

Or is it about "keeping a steady flow of macronutrients"? If that's the argument, then still no. Aside from this argument also already being debunked and made baseless by the two paragraphs above, Bryan himself already stated it as being not the case when he mentioned it in the FAQs. It's not as important as you may think, and so is keeping a consistent ratio at each meal- what really matters is at the end of the day, you get the calories you need, and achieve the ratio you want. Special exception only lies for the pre and post workout nutrition, as timing here is important. Just how important and significant is still under study, taking into account both pre AND post.

What eating many meals really accomplishes is a sometimes more convenient way to get in the number of calories you need, especially if you need a lot like 4000+.

Regards,
-JV

JV

Always thought that it was important for the insulin balance, so that it does not have such high and low peaks but rather a "wavy" kind of graph.

There is so much contradictory information about nutrition out there that it is scary
butbut.gif

Unless you've been fasting (or in a fasted state, perhaps like after a long sleep), insulin spikes are not significant enough to warrant eating many meals over fewer meals. Still the most significant factor remains the stuff you eat in the 24H period - the total calories and macronutrient ratio.

I'm not saying eating many meals a day is simply a waste of your effort. I'm just clarifying that rather than concentrating on how often you eat, it's much more worth your effort to concentrate on how much you eat as it will have greater effect. If that's taken cared of, then by all means, eat as often as you want if it's not a bother for you. I myself eat many times a day (5 or 6, sometimes even 7) simply because that's what I have to do to get my target calories with the kinds of food I eat. If I could get it in 4 (as what happens sometimes), I don't worry at all, I just stick with the four meals and then sleep like a log.

The only benefit I could see in the 6 meals a day is if you are one of those people who just love to eat, and mentally you feel better when you eat ever so often.

I know some people are just snackers, whether its good snacks or bad unhealthy some people eat under bordom situation, hell that half of america..lol.

So i guess to some degree i could see were someone who loves to eat could mentally benefit from eating ever so often...that is of coarse if everything else remained constant.

my 2 cents!

Joe

JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm just clarifying that rather than concentrating on how often you eat, it's much more worth your effort to concentrate on how much you eat as it will have greater effect.

So, basicaly Ori Ofmekler is right? And the warrior diet? It is so dang confusing, is that all there is to it? Besides the fact that around workouts before and after meals are worth it due to the timing issue and the higher absorption rates?

I recently bought the power foods diet book from rodale books and seems like sensible advice, leaning towards 6 to 7 meals per day.

Bryan too has a table splitting things up for about 6 meals per day, from what I have read I though there was an important metabolic function to eating constantly like 6 meals per day.

The way you explain it, it is a matter of calories in per required bulk or base or cut diet, the amount of times one eats only makes it easier to get the number right? Do I have it right?
butbut.gif

Yes.

Depending on what you do, there of course may be some benefits or disadvantages, especially as you go to extremes (for example, eating one gigantic meal a day then only a few snacks after that, compared to eating 8 nice meals a day regularly), but the biggest factor is still how much you eat - the total you get.

Back