HST Cutting

JVoHs22

I was wondering if the HST routine was a good routine to use while cutting? Will you retain all of your muscle if you cut using HST?

Yes, it is good for cutting. You won't retain all your muscle - that's hard to do unless you have some 'assistance' but it can definitely minimize muscle loss. Keep in mind that you are bound to lose some muscle on pretty much any diet/workout plan.

There are some modifications I would make for cutting with HST. Eliminate SD for one. I like the idea of combining the 15s with the other rep phases. So instead of starting out doing 15s, you start out doing 10s, then at the end of each workout, doing 1 set of 15 using 80-90% of your 15 RM for four lifts that hit the whole body, like squats, bench, rows and military press.
That gives you the benefit of the heavier weights, which spare muscle, and the benefit of the lighter weights which can strengthen joints and get the metabolism going real good.

For the record, I've found that heavy negatives combined with some high rep exercises spare more lean mass than anything else, for me.

Back