HST-Cycle, my Goal: max. 45 min. Training, 3x/Week

wartiger

Heya,

I'm planing to go back to HST-Training for gaining some more muscle masses.
I am willing to train three times a week for 45 min. maximum per session.
So I am looking for a basic programm to gain muscles ... I am only not sure how much sets and which exercises I should do?
I think I need basic exercises... what about a plan of

warm-up:
2 sets situps
2 sets hyper-exentions

3 sets with load
- cable seated row
- chin-ups
- bench press
- incline bench press
- upright row

What about this plan?

Thanks for your response!

It seems as if you only care about your upper body (back, chest, and arms)

You should put some type of deadlifts in there as well as squats or leg press. Also, there is no shoulder work?
rock.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 31 2006,14:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It seems as if you only care about your upper body (back, chest, and arms)

You should put some type of deadlifts in there as well as squats or leg press. Also, there is no shoulder work?
rock.gif
</div>
Not that I'm saying it's what I'd do, but he has bench, incline bench, and upright rows that work the shoulders more or less.

<div>
(wartiger @ Mar. 31 2006,10:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Heya,

I'm planing to go back to HST-Training for gaining some more muscle masses.
I am willing to train three times a week for 45 min. maximum per session.
So I am looking for a basic programm to gain muscles ... I am only not sure how much sets and which exercises I should do?
I think I need basic exercises... what about a plan of

warm-up:
2 sets situps
2 sets hyper-exentions

3 sets with load
- cable seated row
- chin-ups
- bench press
- incline bench press
- upright row

What about this plan?

Thanks for your response!</div>
Now, wartiger. Let's go through this step by step.

1) Situps and hyperextensions do not make a good warm up. At all. All you're doing is tiring your core which is undesirable for obvious reasons.

2) 3x a week, 45 mins max.... cool, no probs

3) You say you want to gain muscle, but don't include legs. Legs are a huge muscle group and you'd be a fool not to train them. Any compound(s) would be good: like Colby said, deads, squats, a leg press, BB hack squat, front squat, etc.

4) If you are doing bench you don't really need incline bench. If the incline is low enough you could just pick one or the other.

5) I'd swap upright row with a shoulder press. That's just me though, I don't like upright rows.

yes, you are right....... my only question would be: where is the beef ??
compound exercises all the way for a limit of 45 minutes.... I'll give you a novel idea how to detect if an exercise is good or not for growing:

you do it once..... if by next workout you are trembling like a leaf just by thinking you have to do the exercise... then that is a good exercise, ... I mean... squats, deadlifts are a must

Hey,

thanks for your replies.
I forgot to mention, that I excluded squats and dead-lift on purpose, because I do a lot of Running, Cycling and Swimming, so I think it would be to much for my legs... and in addtion I get problems with my knees very fast... so I have to disclaim from the two heaviest exercises... hehe .. not that I don't like them!

edit: I also changed my mind about the sets.. I will do only 2 sets!

Greetings
Basil

wartiger,
you've got a valid point... but are you having problems with deadlift too ??
hmmmm....... anyway, you know the exercises that you are doing for your legs are mainly aerobic exercises.... so, actually not anaerobic unless you sprint all the time, I mean unless you make them HIIT..... hard to imagine to grow without squats nor deadlifts.... if you could do squats then your other sports would get benefited from it.

I thought I was the only one: I hate the thought of doing squats and deadlifts until after the 3 rep, then I love them.

he he he, the same as me... in my 20's I was the typical chicken legs &quot;bodybuilder&quot;... I wouldn't even turn my sight to the squat area, he he he....thanks God he gave me now the taste for masoquism... so, I really enjoy torturing myself with that extra rep of squat

luckily enough, genetics gave me great legs which grow very fast.

wartiger I reckon you should squat, unless you are injured, if you want to make the most of your workouts. If your form is good and you go below parallel, it is not bad for your knees. Squatting (with proper form) works pretty much your entire leg muscle mass as well as your glutes, spinal erectors and a lot of the core muscles in your torso which act as stabilizers. They will really help your other sports activities as long as you don't go overboard on the volume.

I've just been watching a TV prog about the Oxford and Cabridge boat race teams. These top rowers are regularly hitting the squat rack to increase their leg strength and to enhance their rowing performance. They are training everyday too. If they need to squat then I think we can safely say that it's not going to be bad for what you do. (As an aside, some of those guys are eating 8,000 calories a day!!  
wow.gif
)

Here's a good read on squatting:

Squat Analysis

I have to run 3x a week for ROTC, and I've done it while lifting weights (including squatting) and without, I can tell you that when I am lifting weights my knees are LESS sore than if I were not.

Back