HST delayed start split?

G8r

I'm new to the HST forum and have read a good many of the threads. First thing, the primary contributors to the site seem a knowledgeable bunch and do an excellent job helping the new guys and provide outstanding ideas on muscle growth. So...thanks.

Through all my reading, I've not run into this question, though I have seen a good many questions regarding sets and concerns about over-reaching when getting to the heavier loads in the cycles (a concern that I've had).

Has anyone ever split their routine (ex. upper/lower) and delayed the start of 1/2 of it by 1 week so that they are not working every exercise to maxes at the same time. For example, start 15's for upper this week, but delay adding the lower 1/2 of the workout until next week, then continue running them together.

Due to a slight shoulder joint injury I had to delay upper work for just enough time that I ended up restarting upper work while I was about halfway through a cycle (essentially a three week delay). It seemed a little weird at first keeping track of different rep schemes (MS Excel was handy here), but it's going well and tends to level the total workout volume for me.

This may fly in the face of some HST principle that I'm unaware of and may not be ideal, but wonder if its a possible option for someone with lesser recuperative abilities (me) or someone having trouble adjusting their work capacity to a program with such undulating workloads (I'm old, so this is me too).

One concern I have is that when you´re SDing for the upper body you´ll be starting out on lower. You may be involuntarily doing work on your upper half during some exercises. Eg. I do deads with my lower but many parts of the upper get hit too.

A better way may just be to gauge your level of fatigue and adjust volume accordingly. If you feel its been too much work one week you can always skip a set or two on some exercises. Thats generally what I do if I feel that way.

I am assuming this is a one cycle event. If so, don't worry about it. It won't make any difference 3 months from now.

gbg, I think you're right. It is a general question about delay and my answer addressed his specific statement about delaying this time due to a shoulder injury.

I think your answer to the general question is spot on.

gbf and o&g, you're both sort of right. I've liked the delayed start, but not the three weeks so much, with GBG's note about SD being the fly in the ointment. However, it seems that one week delay might actually be better than starting all at the same time (for some). As I'm adjusting to increasing workloads (after years of a 10-12 hr per day office job) the leveling of the workload so far has made the adjustment easier. I've noted that the end of 15s, 10s, etc (what is it called, minicycle?) doesn't wear my butt down so much. But I don't know how it impacts growth yet as it hasn't been long.

Back