HST, here I come!

destravus

Hey guys,

After reading a lot of stuff about HST on this website I have decided to use HST in my workouts and I'm very excited about it. I have been training for a year right now using a split body workout and mostly 3x 8. Recently I have hit a plateau and didn't seem to make any gains in strenght nor size. So now I would like to start an HST routine and know your opinions/improvements.

But first of all, here is some bio. I'm 18 years, 5'9 and weigh 160 lbs (72 kg) with a bf% of 11%. I started at 130 lbs. My main goal at the moment is to reach 180 lbs and not gain too much fat. I'm also very strict with my diet, I eat a lot of healthy food. I need around 4000-3800 calories a day for maintenance and 4500 calories when bulking.

Here is the routine:

Week 1&2 2x15 Week 3&4 3x 10 Week 5&6 6x 5 <--- Is this okay?

Bench Press
Military Press
Barbell Shrugs
Dumbbell Row
Deadlift
Pull Ups
Squat
Leg curls
Calf Raise
Close grip bench press or dips (undecided)
Barbell Curls

I will train 3 times a week.

1) So which exercises would you guys replace/remove?

2) I think these exercises are more than enough but what about the upper chest and other parts of the shoulder? I won't be targeting them directly for the whole cycle...

3) My final question. Is it okay to do bodyweight exercises like push-ups during the strategic deconditioning phase?

Thanks. ;)

Welcome destravus.

Have a read through the Simplify & Win thread for some examples of effective training routines.

How did you decide that you require 3800-4000 cals for maintenance? I would have thought maintenance for you would be nearer to 2500 cals, and that's assuming you are very active!

Unless you are able to override your genetically pre-determined p-ratio you will have to gain some fat along with lean muscle mass. Sensible training will skew things in favour of lean mass so that should help. Aim to gain no more than 1lb a week. Even this may be too high considering that you have already added 30lb to your bodyweight. Certainly, if you are adding more than a pound a week you probably need to back off on some cals so that you don't add unnecessary fat.

1) So which exercises would you guys replace/remove?

2) I think these exercises are more than enough but what about the upper chest and other parts of the shoulder? I won't be targeting them directly for the whole cycle...

3) My final question. Is it okay to do bodyweight exercises like push-ups during the strategic deconditioning phase?

Thanks. ;)
1) As Lol said, take a look at the Simplify and Win thread. Basically you don't need to hit every single muscle from all possible directions to have good results. I would suggest trimming some exercises, especially if you are going for 2x15, 3x10, 6x5. The suggestion:
Squats alternated with Deadlifts
Bench Press alternated with Dips
Barbell rows alternated with pull ups
Shrugs alternated with military press
Calf raises

By alternated I mean that you have your A routine and your B routine and on one workout you use your A routine exercises, on the next you use the B routine, then A again and so on...

2) As I said above unless you are a professional body builder that has reached your genetic limit for muscle mass and want to make some symmetry "adjustments" to your muscles you don't need to hit every single muscle directly. Bench press and military press (if you choose to do it) will hit front delts, BB rows will hit back delts and lateral delts will be hit by both and deadlifts.

3) It is not recommended. The more activity you add to your SD the less effective it will be in deconditioning your muscles and priming them for growth when you start your 15s.

Back