Hst kills my elbows

opethrapture

Hi everyone.

I did some sweet strenght gain while doing 2 cykles of hst. However i didn't manage to gain any weight whatsoever. I eat 5-7 times a day and supplement with protein powders and creatine. Starting on my 3 cykle my elbows really started to hurt and my lower back also. I also found that the low rep regime of 5's is somewhat impossible because it hurt's my elbows to much. In the future I will try a modified version of hst and choose to specifik weights and then increase the amounts of reps instead. Ex

Bench press:

1.80kg x 6
2. 80kg x 7
3. 80 ---->

When I can do 10 reps or more I will increase the weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly apprciated.

If you didn't gain weight it is your fault...EAT MORE...PERIOD. It doesn't matter what routine you use, if you don't eat enough, you won't gain weight.

If your elbows hurt, it is because of a certain movement, not HST. If close-grip benches hurt your elbows(or anything else) then the movement itself is aggravating your joints.

Agree with Sci. One other thing to bear in mind is that if you aren't used to going as heavy as the 5s demand, you might find that it takes a couple of cycles for your joints to get used to the hammering they are going to take. I had this problem for my first few cycles as I had been used to doing 10-12 reps for most exercises. I just stopped my cycle and SDed once I felt it was all getting too uncomfortable. Now, after a whole bunch of cycles, I can keep my 5s going much longer and my joints stay pretty much fine the whole time.

Dropping bench press helped me with my elbow problems. Just alternate weighted dips and incline db press now and all is much better
smile.gif

Ok. In my routine I have also been working every specifik muscle group. Chest, Legs, back x 2 sets and the remaining muscle grups x 1 set.

Is this ok? Also the last cykle I had made gains on every lift exept for the benchpress which seemed kind of strange. Do you guys think that the hst technique can be used all the time or should I switch back to my old routine now and then??

I think I will give Hst a go again once I get rid of my cold.

Do not do HST where you work with a weight until you can get 10 reps, then advance the weight. You will have crap results. Just increase the load used every workout like the basic HST routine prescribes. Like the guys said, drop whatever movements are aggravating your elbows, and EAT MORE.

Back