HST  and military preperation

Techo

Well, now that I'm considering joining the military my training will need to change significantly. For bulking, HST has worked great for me. I'm still trying to nail down cutting, but I think UD 2.0 and maybe PSMF may be the trick.

How should I train to prepare for boot camp? Obviously, it's going to involve plenty of running, push ups, situps, and pull ups. However, I don't want to lose any strength or mass if possible.

Lately I've been doing HST Mon, Wed, Fri with push/pull ups and situps at the end. I'm usually burnt out from the work out, howver, so I don't know how much good this is doing. Sun, Tues, & Thurs have been my running days.

Any and all suggestions welcomed! Whether you've been in the military or just know of a highly recommended site, speak up. Thanks in advance.

i'd just keep going man.

Something i used to do for baseball personally was to run a lap around a track, do pushups and situps, lap, do pushups/situps and keep that trend. Sometimes even pyramids like do 20 push and sits, lap, 18 of them, lap, 16, etc etc until 0.

maybe even toss hills in there to make running easier. but i would keep with HST for size and strength.

I think that if you go to boot camp, you will loose muscle. There is no way around it. They will have you doing tons of cardio and I think the food may be lacking a bit. So you will catabolize muscle.

To train for this I would suggest some major cardio. Focus on what you will be doing during boot camp like pushups, chins, situps etc in addition to your usual HST.

i would recommend talking to someone whose been thru boot camp (someone you trust) and can tell you first hand what to expect. if its a lot of push ups, pull ups, cardio in boots, hiking w/hvy wgt etc. then better to acclimate yourself to some degree now.

boot camp is going to have its own challenges both mental and physical so i wouldnt worry about strength/mass etc. boot will not last forever and once your more settled in the military you can get back to HST.

i was not in the military but i have worked in wildland fire for quite a few yrs and some of the upper echelon programs had boot camp type training involved. friends who have moved on to smokejump or hotshot in alaska have had considerable success with finding out (as much as possible) a typical training regiment and then spent an entire winter getting used to doing it each day. it worked wonders for them b/c not only were they prepared but it showed they were prepared and serious which really helped them stand out from those who didnt bother to think ahead.

good luck

Find yerself a proper Boxing Gym... It'll act as GPP & get you ready for your induction. In the UK forces you go thru' a sort of initiation ritual of having to fight your fellow trainees - if it's the case at bootcamp also; you'll have the edge (there's nowt like sparring - to get you "combat ready")

Lock n load

If you want to be overprepared, do this program:

Seal Training Program

and you will lean down at boot camp.
biggrin.gif

Great feedback guys... any more comments? I've kind of accepted that I will lose my 2+ years of work while at boot camp. It's sad, but I'll just have to accept it. I guess at this point Im debating if I should go strickly military prep till boot camp or military prep + HST till boot camp.

Do any of you know if and how muscle/strength is affected by all the push up, situp, etc. work? I would think it would be catabolic. So would it be good to do that immediatly before an HST lifting session, immediatly after an HST session, or on an off day? Also, I would imagine it would put some strain on the CNS...? Does failure on push/pull/sit ups have the same negative affect as it does with weights?

Goals will still probably be boot camp 1st, hypertrophy 2nd. Or at least they will be as I get closer...

<div>
(Techo @ Jul. 13 2006,20:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, now that I'm considering joining the military my training will need to change significantly.  For bulking, HST has worked great for me.  I'm still trying to nail down cutting, but I think UD 2.0 and maybe PSMF may be the trick.

How should I train to prepare for boot camp?  Obviously, it's going to involve plenty of running, push ups, situps, and pull ups.  However, I don't want to lose any strength or mass if possible.

Lately I've been doing HST Mon, Wed, Fri with push/pull ups and situps at the end.  I'm usually burnt out from the work out, howver, so I don't know how much good this is doing.  Sun, Tues, &amp; Thurs have been my running days.

Any and all suggestions welcomed! Whether you've been in the military or just know of a highly recommended site, speak up.  Thanks in advance.</div>
I promise you that you will lose muscle in boot camp.  The only kind of boot camp I can think of where you will not lose too much muscle is one that they send recruits to who have MOS's that are desk jobs.  You might do less PT and be allowed more food at a boot camp like that.  All boot camps are NOT the same, even those within the same branch of the military.  If I were you, I'd give up weight training completely while you get ready for boot camp.  I'd focus on pushups, situps, running, and long heavily weighted backpack hikes.  Something like this:
Monday-run for 30 min. in the morning/evening-do 50 pushups-rest-40 pushups-rest-30 pushups-rest-20 pushups-rest-10 pushups...now do the same with situps

Tuesday-walk with weighted backpack for 30 mins./evening-stationary bike-30 minutes

Wednesday-run for 30 mins.///evening--do 60 pushups...on down to 10, in the same manner you did them on monday...same with situps

Thursday-Do morning cardio and evening cardio...do anything you want for both sessions, just don't run...preferably, do the weighted backpack again

Friday--morning--do 70 pushups, on down to 10...same with situps

Keep on working that kind of program until you can do 100 on down to 10, once you're able to do that...focus on diamond pushups. Incorporate some pull ups in there too, working up to higher reps, kind of like HST in that you work up to heavier weights.

This kind of program will not build muscle (at least for a guy who has been working out already), but it will condition you for boot camp. I wouldn't be concerned about building muscle at all until you at least finish boot camp.  Until you finish boot camp, weights are a waste of time.  Messing around with them would be like doing bicep curls to improve your deadlift.  Might help a little, but the best way to improve your deadlift is to do deadlifts. Same way with running/pull ups/push ups/sit ups
IMO

What branch are you joining? I'm taking it you're going enlisted and not officer? If you're going Marine or Army, then get ready to run a lot. Realize that when you are out of boot camp, you may be required to run even more. When I went through Boot Camp we ran 3 miles at the most. In the fleet I've run a LOT more, up to 14 miles. When do you plan on leaving? Really the best thing you can do is just the basics. Run a few times a week (2-3 times) and keep your lifting. Full body worked fine for me. Maybe cut back to twice a week and work on calisthenics 2x a week. But also realize that there's a lot of mental stuff. They're gonna have you push til you can't anymore. That's just how it is. So don't stress it.

I'm looking at the ANG which is technically Air Force until you leave tech school. Before you scoff keep in mind that 1) they have somewhat recently increased the requirements and 2) my goal is to be over prepared since there are different incentives (potential graduation with honors, warhawk status, etc). And, yes, I would be going in as enlisted, not officer.

I've done some reading on about.com and appears that these are the grad requirments:

STANDARD:
Two Mile Run - 16:45
1.5 mile Run - 11:57
Sit-Ups - 50 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 45 (in 2 minutes)

WARHAWK:
Two Mile Run - 13:30
1.5 mile Run - 08:08
Sit-Ups - 80 (in 2 minutes)
Push-Ups - 75 (in 2 minutes)
Pull-Ups - 10

Might not look like much to some. The running shouldn't be an issue with me. However, I've never been able to do more than 30 pushups non-stop. So I'll have a long ways to go!

When you to to boot, you'll see guys who can't even do two pushups or one pullup, so you'll blow most of them away. Be ready to run EVERYWHERE when outside (no walking allowed) and possibly have some swim tests. I was Coast Guard and we swam a LOT, ran and had a marines type obstacle course, which I LOVED! (just a big playground)
The thing is man, if you sandbag a little, it will work for you, because when they see what you CAN do, any punishments (and there WILL be punishment) will be an exaggeration of your abilities. S0, hold back a little bit, don't try to outrun everyone else even if you can...then you can pretend it's KILLIN' you when they make you do laps or pushups or carry stupid buckets of sand to the beach and water back up. You want to save your muscles by NOT working them to death; you'll be lean and mean when you get out and can bulk later.

Back