HST newbie here, need help and advice please

deadliftman

You guys have probaly read threads like these a million times before so i apologise from beforehand. i have read through various threads on this site and others and think i have come up with a decent routine. However, i am unsure over the set schemes. I have seen schemes like 1x15, 2x10, 3x5, or 2x15,10,5 and a scheme from an online FAQ....

"2 sets perexercise during the 15s. 2 sets during the first week of 10s and 1 set per exercise during the second week of 10s. 2 sets during the first week of 5 and one set during the second week"......

once the experts on here help me choose the right selection, then we can critique my routine, thanks

How to arrange your sets is really dependent on you, your recovery ability and level of conditioning. The longer you have been lifting properly the more volume you are likely to need to stimulate growth. The younger you are the more likely you can recover from more volume quickly.

As a general rule the most common starting set/rep scheme is going to be 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 to start with. This keeps the volume relatively even throughout your cycle. If you find in the later 10s and 5s that you have to much volume to properly recover from then you can always drop off some sets. However, as another general rule I usually try to keep the volume at no less than 15 reps to ensure enough time under tension to stimulate growth. The exception might be when things get really heavy where I might drop down to 10 reps total.

Probably the most confusing thing for most people about HST is that it is really only a set of principles not a specific routine which is what most people are used to following. So in the short run you may feel like you’re not sure of what you are doing, however, after getting a cycle under your belt you’ll likely appreciate the flexibility to redesign a routine that better fits your needs than some one-size-fits-all routine that really ends up fitting no one.

okay thats interesting, but will 1x15 really be enough to stimulate hypertrophy? Also if its 1 x15 2x10 etc how many different exercises should i choose per muscle group, i could imagine that one exercise for small muscle groups like biceps and triceps would be perfect. i could also imagine that chest and shoulders would have the same amount of exercises, back and legs would definitely have more exercises, but how many for chest/shoulders, back/legs?

bearing in mind i have average recoverbility

thanks

If you are already conditioned (been working out for a while) working in the 15 rep range whether 1 or more sets isn’t likely to illicit to much in the way of hypertrophy. It’s designed more as a sort of active recovery to give your tendons a chance to keep up with your muscle growth. Some people cut the 15s to one week or drop them completely but do so at your own risk. I’ve been doing that and now have tendonitis which is hampering my Chin Ups and Curls but then I’m also 50 years old and my tendons aren’t what they use to be. Also, many people dismiss the 15s as being too easy until they actually do an SD and then find that the 15s actually kick their butts.

Assuming you’re doing a full body workout 3 x week then I would stick with no more than 8-10 exercises. Also, I would make most of those by doing compound exercises since you get more muscles worked in total. I consider the following to be the best mass building exercises in the order listed:

Deadlift
Squat
Chin Up
Shoulder Press
Dip
Row
Shrug
Bench Press

To balance out the leg and push/pull exercises I would include a hamstring exercise and probably BB Curls for a total of 10 exercises. Note that Deadlifting 3 x week may not be feasible depending on the weight you’re using (considering your user name I assume you do them already ;) ).

The reason for no separate Triceps exercise is that if you do the Press, Dip and Bench your already hitting your Triceps 3 times in a major way. OTOH Chins do hit your Biceps pretty well but Rows don’t as much hence adding in BB Curls. Your back will get hit 4 times Deadlift, Chin, Row and Shrug. Your chest will get hit 2 times Dips and Bench 3 if you make your press a seated incline. Your shoulders will get hit 3 times Press, Dips, Bench (more so if you do a slight incline bench).

If you really want to you can throw in a calf exercise but your calves are going to get hit with Deadlifts and Squats and if you’re like most people you can hammer them all the time and they will only grow a small amount (genetics). One way to incorporate them and keep the exercise count down would be to Deadlift once a week and substitute Calf Raises for Deadlifts the other two days, it just depends on how much you can get away with Deadlifting.

In the end if you want to get big fast then stick to directly working the muscles that make you big or look bigger (shoulders, traps, upper back, upper legs, upper arms) and let the smaller, at least appearance wise muscles like abs, forearms and calves get worked indirectly. You can always bring them along later once you've bulked up the rest of your body.

Last edited:
Back