HST on consecutive days

rpopple

I'm in a dilemma.

My schedule is such that I can only train Mon, Tues and Thurs. I'm going for an A, B workout split.

My question is, do I do standard HST, alternating workouts, which will mean doing two whole body workouts in succession (mon & tues) or do I split the A workout over mon & tues and increase the volume a little and do the B workout as usual on thurs?

Any suggestions? Anyone tried doing whole body on consecutive days?

I have a similar problem.  When not in school I work in an army research lab and work out at the gym on base.  I get every other friday off (9 hour days), AND I get Monday of for MLK day.  I usually go to my gf's gym with her on those fridays, but next week I have both monday and friday off.  I do not want to drive an hour just to hit the gym (when I will be making that drive all week anyway), so i was think of doing tuesday-wednesday-friday.  This is the start of my 5's too so those first two workouts are on the lighter side.

Missing MWF's happens in school too due to exams etc.. so opinions on how to get around missed days will be helpful for me in general.

Thanks!

Oh yea... I'm doing 3 day fullbody.

You can do whole body on consecutive days but you have to watch your volume. It's not a problem during 15s and even up to the start of 5s if there's some zig-zag in your cycle but after that it may well be a problem for you. It would be for me.

So, I think if it was me in your situation, I would go with a split for Mon & Tues and hit whole body on Friday except I would do squats on Monday and do deads on Tuesday so there would be some overlap. You could do deads along with your other back exercises. Friday I would squat again but not do deads. Squatting twice a week and deading once a week will be good for gains.

Mon
Squat (ATG obviously!)
Bench
Dips
Standing Press
Triceps Extensions*

Tues
Deads
Chins
Rows
Curls*
Calf Raises*

Fri
Squat
Bench/Dips
Chins/Rows
Standing Press
Tris/Bis*
Calf raises*

* Optional/Time permitting

On Friday just pick one exercise per bodypart if you don't have time for them all.

Keep pushing those loads up and have a good cycle!

Let me clarify, I think twice weekly ie Mon Thurs is better than training fullbody Mon Tues Thurs. Although I think Mon, Wed Fri is better than both. You can have good results training 2x weekly, personally I like fullbody every 48 hours when I'm lifting lighter and every 72 hourse when I'm lifting heavy.

Thanks lol, I'm thinking the split approach is the best way forward, especially when getting near maxes.

Just watch out later in the cycle doing squats and deads on consecutive days, should be fine though
biggrin.gif

I would do a upper lower split.

So you would do upper body twice one week and the next you would hit lower body twice.

You could do more volume per workout sense your frequency is less.

Rule of thumb.

More Frequency= less volume

Less frequency= more volume.

For example I can only get to the gym twice this week.

So I normally do around 90 reps a week for chest and back for example.

So I will do

Chest 45 reps on Weneday this week.

45 reps on Sunday. of this week.

its not perfect...but life and career happens and it gets the job done.

When I can't stay on schedule I make sure when I do workout its all compounds an NO ARMS or ABS.

I spend all of my time, energy, volume , reps on the big lifts!

You can grow fine off 2 days a week to!

<div>
(rpopple @ Jan. 09 2007,06:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My schedule is such that I can only train Mon, Tues and Thurs.</div>
If those are the only days you can workout, so be it. You can do consecutive days or do an Upper/Lower or Push/Pull split M, T and a full body workout Thursday.

No problema!

cool.gif

at the moment i am doing fullbody at least 5x a wk.
i have done 14 days without a break then 8 days without a break,no probs but you have to watch your volume.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back