HST questions

krysix

Sorry if this has been asked before.
1. ¿Does 5 reps induce hypertrophy in calve raises or bicep curls? I've always read that you need higher reps for that.
2. Are there any intermediate/advanced HST routines or is it always the same? if so where can i find them? I can't do the AM/PM workouts.
Tnx in advance.

Last edited:
There used to be a lot of talk about fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and high or low reps but I look at it more simplistically:

15 reps = excellent for joints, tendons and lengthening (stretching) muscles but also induces hypertrophy and a bit of strength, especially for beginners

10 reps = excellent for hypertrophy and some strengthening

5 reps = excellent for strengthening and some hypertrophy.

Thus you need to perform all 3 rep ranges to have a well proportioned and functional physique. Many people skip the 15's. I don't but I only do one week of 15's, 2 weeks of 10's and 3 weeks of 5's (actually 6's). As for calves, I rarely work them separately anyway. Biceps I may do 1 set of curls if I have the time. Rep range is not a factor to me. The workouts remain the same. (The exception to this I believe is abs)

As for the advanced workout without the implementation of splits, increased load using basic compound exercises is still the way to go, in my opinion.

How is your diet?

Tnx for the reply. My diet is ok, I'm having good results with my current routine. Now that I'm intermediate I want to alternate strength routines with HST. I just wanted to know if 3x5 calves/triceps/biceps will give me mass or I should use a different rep range. And if HST is always 15/10/5 for 2 weeks each regardless of your training level.

The old argument about rep ranges for hypertrophy is a bunch of hooey. The scientific evidence points to the fact that significant hypertrophy can be stimulated with loads from as low as 50% of 1rm (even lower in some cases), all the way up to 100% and beyond (eccentrics).

The whole point of HST is to use ever-increasing loads, to stay ahead of RBE, and then to SD, so that RBE is reduced and hypertrophy can again be stimulated by the 15s.

The truth is, you can stimulate hypertrophy by doing sets of 15s, and you can stimulate hypertrophy doing singles with your maximum weight. Forget all that junk about rep ranges, it's all mythical BS propagated by people who noticed the swelling effect of higher rep ranges.

In my own experience, I have noticed greatest hypertrophy by training for strength during the 5s, and even extending them to new Personal strength records. It seems to be even more effective than the old 8-12 rep range that has been pushed for so long, which makes logical sense since technically higher loads will stimulate hypertrophy for longer periods, before RBE catches up.

Last edited:
By the way, I agree with Old and Grey, that all the rep ranges are good, the only reason I skip the 15s is mainly because due to my physical job, my "SD" periods are not as effective as they could be, so I start again at higher loading than normally would be necessary. If I was retired and could rest more during my deconditioning period, I would do 2 weeks of 15s as per the vanilla HST program.

Reactions: Lol
The heavier loads of the 5s recruit ALL muscle fibers, so slow/fast twitch, etc, doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you that to grow, you must lift in the 8-12 rep range or anything like that, has not read the research. Bryan has a post in the FAQ section about rep ranges that cites a study where they broke three groups up into a low rep, medium and high rep group. The low rep group that was using the heaviest loads and doing the fewest reps were the ones who experienced the biggest gains in muscle.

The take home point is that yes, you can induce hypertrophy in calves, arms, etc with heavier loads. Bear in mind that calves will require higher VOLUME to grow, notice that I did not higher reps, I said higher VOLUME. Calves are also highly dependent on genetics. I know guys who do everything they can for calves and still have the calf muscles of a small child. I don't work calves and mine are large. So your mileage will vary, but the best plan of attack is a standard HST layout but with much higher volume than you would use for most other bodyparts.

Hi Krysix,

Just to add my own little bit to this thread, if it helps;
I agree with all of the above. I have found that, as Totz has said above, increase on volume, for calves - and forearms if you work them (I don't bother because I only do compound movements - except for calves ;-) - and rack pulls, chins and dips work my forearms more than adequately) is absolutely, the way to go.

As a guide, this is what I do. For the main part of my routine - all the basics - I do 'vanilla' HST of 1 set of 15s, 2 sets of 10s and 3 sets of 5s. But for my calves all I do is an extra set each time, so 2 X15, 3 X 10 and 5-6 X 5s
I think that is enough volume, at least for me, particularly as I get older, but you should experiment with calf volume.

An alternative to consider - that I do occaisonally, for variety - is to stick with the standard 1 X 15, 2 X 10, 3 X 5, but add a burn set/high rep drop set immediately after my last set. Something like half or 30% of the weight for high reps.
But I do prefer just doubling the volume

Best of luck

Brix

Back