HST / Running Program

jch6565

i am currently training for a Tough Mudder event in September and currently run x3 per week. MWF. Do to "life" that leaves Tues/Thurs for any form of weight training. I'm not looking at bulking, BB, etc. What I do like about HST is that it seems to easier on the body/joints in that every weight session the weights aren't not constantly "heavy", but the the focus is on the ramping up in weight. For general health and my focus I'll will continue to run X 3 per week, but after the event in September probably keep each run workout at 30-40 minutes in length. I know with the added calories being expended with running that I cannot expect to gain mass, but I believe with the progression principle of HST I can "strength" albeit more slow than others more focus on weights than cardio.

I also will work my rep ranges from 15-10-5 to 20-15-10 - which gives me a little more focus on the endurance spectrums and I have always hated and felt worn down with lower rep ranges. My approach was

Leg Press
Chest Press
Lat Pull
Seated Row
Ham Curl
Curl Machine

*Tricep work always tends to cause elbow tendonitis problems, but I might try them after a cycle starting with essentially the plate on the cable for press downs.

With the X 2 of weight sessions should I try for 2 sets per lift? or leave it to one set due to the added focus on running?

Hey man,

I'm sure someone more familiar with HST can give better advice to you (I'm versed in the 'standard' advice...HST is new to me), but in the meantime I'll weigh in.

I'd suggest you look at the "Strength Specific Training" part of this site. You talk about not wanting to bulk up, in which case HST would be the best workout for you as it is specifically designed for building muscle mass.

You also talk about wanting to improve strength and endurance. High rep ranges with lighter weights builds endurance, lower rep ranges builds strength. As far as I'm aware training to failure is more important with strength building because you don't just need to grow more muscle but also neurologically recruit more muscular fibre. The point of progressive loading (increasing the weight a little bit each session) is to keep your muscles growing with submaximal weights, if you want to be very strong then your focus is less on growing muscle and more on being able to lift the max weight possible.

If I were you I would leave HST until after the Tough Mudder competition. To me, this seems like wanting to weight train AND train for a marathon...yes you can do it, but they are pretty much competing goals.

Assuming that you want to weight train for this events, in your routine I would change:

Leg Press to squats
Chest press to Bench Press
Lat pull to Pull ups
...I'm not sure if by ham curl you mean 'Hammer Curls' or you mean 'Reverse Leg Curls' (i.e. curls for your hamstrings). I would train hamstrings either using lunges or reverse leg curls
Curl Machine to Free Weight bicep curls
I have problems with triceps also, I'm going to try dips
I notice there is nothing for shoulders, so I would add in shoulder press

The big piece of advice I can give you is, looking at the Tough Mudder competition, you are doing a lot of running and a lot of bodyweight exercises...particularly pulling yourself up and over obstacles. To train for this I'd suggest getting good at bodyweight exercises; pushups, dips, pullups. I'd also add in some form of ab work to strengthen the core.

Really the Tough Mudder competition is more about endurance than strength, once you get to a certain threshold of strength (e.g. being able to lift your bodyweight). It isn't about powerlifting heavy items, so I wouldn't train heavy AND I would focus on bodyweight exercises.

If you are training for endurance with light weights then two sets is better than one. If you training extremely heavy just to gain strength then I would say one set.

I agree that the ability to bench press 300 lbs isn't going to matter much, when you are wet, cold, and gave 5 miles left on the course. I actually took a lot of my programming for my running build up from the Navy's Special Warfare SEAL/SWCC training guide. I am not a SEAL or ever plan on being one, but they also put forth some very simple training guidelines in regards to strength
https://www.sealswcc.com/forums/showthread.php?38-Strength-training-Start-here
A general rule of thumb is to limit each strength session to 10-15 total sets (generally performing only 1-2 sets per exercise), and to perform the entire session (not including warm-up, cool-down, and other activities) within 45 minutes.
Sets and Reps: Variables that can be manipulated while strength training include the number of setsperformed of various exercises, and the number of repetitions performed per set. My advice is to perform a wide variety of exercises limited to 1-2 sets per exercise (as opposed to 4-6 sets of only a couple exercises like bench press or squat). I also suggest performing most sets in the range of 8-12 reps, but some sets with fewer (4-6) and some with more (15-20) reps. These are general recommendations, with plenty of room for variation, as described below.

Again they are pushing for more of a "to failure" approach.

Back