HST training & vertical jump

jeemigdepeemig

Hello,

I recently added dumbell squats to my HST training schedule. Mostly for aesthetics but it would be nice if i can improve my jumping vertical by a few inches while doing HST.

Love to be able to dunk with ease next bball season. Maybe there are better methods to improve verticals (plyometrics) but i hope any training will help me since my lower body has never really been trained before.

I doubt to implement calv raises as an isolation in my schedule, there's room for it (i only do 5 compunds now).

Has anyone had experience with changes in vertical jump when doing hst (or weight training in general)?

Plyo squats (5kg medicine ball) 2 sets: 5 reps to parallel followed by 5 ATG then 5 ATG jumping outta the hole (make sure your feet leave the ground)
One of my boxers did this twice a week, after two weeks his VJ was 40 odd inches!
You could use bigger weights/more reps - but this works as-is...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Plyo squats (5kg medicine ball) 2 sets: 5 reps to parallel followed by 5 ATG then 5 ATG jumping outta the hole </div>
I believe Don Chu mentions an approach similar to this in Jumping Into Plyometrics. You can likely add some to your jump with weights alone, but for maximum gain the bottom line is that you will do best with a combination of weights and plyometrics.  TDM apparently has some experience with it -- his suggestion could do the trick.  Or, you can look at the routines specifically tailored to increasing vertical jump in something like Chu's book.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 19 2007,13:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am not sure how his jumping abilities helps him steal more bases but who knows.</div>
Um, because the same muscles that allow you to jump high also allow you to sprint fast...

Check out Kelly Bagget's stuff if you want to jump higher/run faster: www.higher-faster-sports.com

Thanks for the replys, very usefull.

Ideally I would like to perform one/two plyos (like the poly squats) before or, more proberly, after my HST training sessions.

Thing is, can a muscle group benefit from plyos when it's also HST-trained in the same session?

In other words can plyos be incoorperated in a regular workout or are they mutually exclusive?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In other words can plyos be incoorperated in a regular workout or are they mutually exclusive? </div>
This is sometimes termed &quot;complex training.&quot;  Yes, depending upon your goal it can work, though the general recommendation is that you should have a solid base in both weights training and plyometrics before trying this.  Combination techniques such as the plyosquats TDM recommends might be an exception.  

My understanding, however, is that if you are doing this you will generally be reducing the loads on the weight training portion -- not good for HST.  Chu also recommends that you do plyo before weights -- again, you could see a reduction in your HST loads.  I am considering adding some plyo to my workout schedule, but I would definitely do it on non-HST days.  Combination moves may be somewhat of an exception, but it is obvious that you will not plyosquat as much as a regular back squat, so it would be no substitute.

The Crossfit folks would certainly be into this sort of thing, but you definitely give up some hypertrophy if you only do their workouts.

Number one priority before any plyos is a thorough warm-up (3-5 mins of hard walking/light jogging) we don't want to to go snappin' tendons etc...
wink.gif

Back