HST v traditional

robefc

In my pre-hst days I used to go to the bodybuilding forum and read something that I basically believed - that if you work out hard (to failure) there will be a growth stimulus, the musscle will be broken down and rebuilt and therefore excess calories/protein are required to supply the materials for that re building process.

My question is, given that obviously HST advocates progressive load, does that mean that just by maintaining the same weight and going to failure the growth stimulus will be reduced and therefore the excess calories/protein will not be used as efficiently or at all? If you are eating excess calories obviously you will put on weight so does that mean that using a traditional routine as opposed to HST more of the excess calories will be converted to fat? If not where do they go?!

Cheers

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (robefc @ Aug. 04 2005,1:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My question is, given that obviously HST advocates progressive load, does that mean that just by maintaining the same weight and going to failure the growth stimulus will be reduced and therefore the excess calories/protein will not be used as efficiently or at all?

Well, you would grow until RBE catches up with the muscle fibres of that particular muscle, after which growth slows down or stops altogether, unless the weight is increased.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you are eating excess calories obviously you will put on weight so does that mean that using a traditional routine as opposed to HST more of the excess calories will be converted to fat? If not where do they go?!

Good question! I supppose a certain amount of those calories would be used to amintain that muscle, the excess depends on many diffrent vectors, and how much activity is involved burning that excess, if there is a remainder then I suppose it would eventually turn to fat as reserves.

I am not all too clued up about nutrition but evidence does seem to point at our organism being built for survival.

Meaning that any excess reserves not used up to maintain current systems, (muscles, digestion, though patterns and other daily activities) would be stored up for a "survival time" which unfortunatelly in our current world (unless you have joined the survival series) does not happen often.

So yes, if you are maintaining upped calory intake and you are not using it, you will start putting on "funny" pounds!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Aug. 04 2005,5:58)]So yes, if you are maintaining upped calory intake and you are not using it, you will start putting on "funny" pounds!
tounge.gif
That's it! to put it simply.

Another way of looking at it is Energy in V Energy out

If the energy in is greater to the energy out, one will put on weight and vice versa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (brisbanemick @ Aug. 04 2005,11:04)]Another way of looking at it is Energy in V Energy out
If the energy in is greater to the energy out, one will put on weight and vice versa.
Yep, I understand that, what I was trying to get at was whether, once rbe has caught up with you, whether all the excess would go to fat (funny pounds!) as growth wouldn't be occurring...

cheers guys

As has been said this would depend on energy balance, if your daily activity including working out (whether building tissue or not) is greater than you consume no it wouldn't.

Back