Hypertrophy and anemia

Kiharan

I recently developed anemia.  Hemoglobin level is less than 9 g/dl.  Although I feel tired, and have other unwelcome symptoms, I'm still training with weights, following HST principles.

Does anyone out there know how the low red blood cell/hemoglobin level would affect the processes involved in hypertrophy?  Can I still gain muscle?  Or do I need to give up on the notion of hypertrophy until the docs figure out how to normalize my blood?

Here's a guess...when doing anabolics, the red blood cell count is raised, so if you're in a low anabolic state (which I believe is prevalent in anemia) then the opposite is true. At least I suspect there's a connection, but more likely it's much more complicated than that, since our chemical makeup, hormones, lipids, glucose, and a host of other things all have to work together.
If you are actually lifting with anemia, you're one tough cat. I can relate to how hard it is, working for a living (physically) with andropause; anemia would be worse.

I suggest you take iron tablets (ferrous sulphate) they are cheap and will slowly get you fixed up.

Onions, beetroots, liver are all good for lack of iron.

Yes, definitely visit the doc and get fixed up, else you are wasting away and getting nowhere!

I appreciate the concern and good will of the replies.  I'm doing all I can to treat the anemia--including iron supps recommended by docs.  After several rounds of blood tests, scopes to check for internal bleeding (none found), and a bone marrow biopsy, the docs are stumped.  

Although my blood has had an abundance of red cells as long as I can remember (for years I have donated blood as often as the local blood institute is allowed to collect it), several months ago my bone marrow started reducing red blood cell output.   There's plenty of iron in the marrow--but the marrow is no longer using it correctly to produce red blood cells.  And apparently the marrow has simultaneously began overproducing platelets, so I have thrombocytosis as well.

I'm going to see another hemotologist, with more knowledge and experience, and see if I can find get better answers to my questions about what has caused this affliction, and whether it can be cured.

Meanwhile, although my energy level is relatively low, I have continued training with weights and doing cardio work 6 or 7 days a week except when my job interferes with the schedule.  I want to retain as much strength and muscle mass as possible, and keep my cardiopulmonary fitness level as high as I can.  I think those factors may have helped me maintain a fairly normal life despite the anemia.  (Although I've had the problem for over 6 months, nobody at my office has seemed to notice any difference with me, and I don't think they suspect I have any major health problems.)

As I mentioned in my original post, I was just wondering whether one of the members with some knowledge of biochemistry could tell me whether the reduced red blood cell level would interfere with muscle cell growth.  If I can't benefit from the intensity of HST in my condition, then I might be better off if I shifted to a less intense version of weight training.

Thanks again for your replies.

Kiharan

It is a good idea for you to get a second opinion, I am at a loss to explain further as to your current condition, there could be other health realted problems that only a haematologist with good all round endocrinology knowledge may help find.

In my limited knowledge of muscle science biochemistry I'd say that the lack of red blood cells would at least interfere with your recovery, as the main function of erythoricytes is re-oxygenation of the blood.

However I would not say give up on HST just yet, do put a big brake on too much aerobics as it wil rob your muscle gains big time, twice per week is more than enough IMO, but there could be other opinions.

If you don't get your satisfaction with the answers you had so far, I suggest you check out with Dan Moore, he knows a fair bit of biomechaniscs related biochemistry and may lead you somewhere...anyway...hang in there mate! We'll find you some help soon!
biggrin.gif

Back