I goofed up last night.

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_etothepii
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_etothepii

I'm in my 7th week, and doing neg's for pull ups and dips. The rest of my lits are at my 5rm. Well, I did two things wrong:

1. In my dips, I usually do one regular dip and 4 negatives. I felt good and strong, and dips were my first exercise of the night, so I did 3 regular dips and 2 negatives to start. Then I did 1 and 4, then 5 neg's (total of three sets).

2. For DL's, my 5RM seemed to be getting kind of easy, so I added 10 lbs more. Remember, I'm a newbie, so 10 lbs is a lot for me. I did my three sets of 5, but had to do some clustering on sets 2 and 3.

What this did was pretty much exhaust me. I couldn't do my 5rm in the bench, and had to take some weight off. My arms were completely dead at the end, and skipped my bi and tri isos. (Honestly, no big loss there. But I have always had enough fire left in me to do at least two sets of arm curls.)

Today is a cardio day, and tomorrow is rest. Hopefully, the extra day of rest will do my CNS some good. When I lift again, I am going to make BP my first lift, and not mess around trying to change any other lifts. I only have one week left. No sense in messing it up!

If that happens during the negs, just remember that nothing says you have to do everthing in the same order each time. So next time just start with bench first then you will probably be dead for the dips or something else.....

like keystone said your not messing anything up.....as long as your learning. as you say your a newbie so actually you should be making some of these mistakes so you can craft a program that suits you while avoiding some of the potholes your hitting now.

one thing that did stand out is when you said your 5 rep DL (im assuming deadlift) seemed to be getting easy and that adding 10 lbs is signifigant. as a new lifter i think its important to start light, use good form and progress slowly especially with compounds. having said that make sure for your next cycle you establish a good 5rep max for DL. even newbies can pull good wgt. in the DL (or what feels like good wgt.) and thats whats needed to grow. im not advocating piling on the wgt now just get a good # for your next cycle b/c by the 5s if its not hard its not doing anything.

good luck

Back