I must be retarded.

Wake

I have always considerd myself to be a relativley intelligent person but I can't seem to grasp the concept of HST. I am a passionate bodybuilder and I am very excited about HST but as previously stated I can't wrap my brain around HST. Could someone please explain it in more "laymens" terms for me. Please humor me I know I look like an idiot.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1) Mechanical Load
Mechanical Load is necessary to induce muscle hypertrophy. This mechanism involves but isn't limited to, MAPk/ERK, satellite cells, growth factors, calcium, and number of other fairly understood factors. It is incorrect to say &quot;we don't know how muscle grows in response to training&quot;. The whole point of the HST book is not to discuss HST, but to present the body of research explaining how hypertrophy occurs. Then HST becomes a relatively obvious conclusion if your goal is hypertrophy.
</div>
-Laymen's retarded terms- You need to contract the muscles against heavy resistance to put the muscle tissue under tension

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
2) Acute vs. Chronic Stimuli
In order for the loading to result in significant hypertrophy, the stimulus must be applied with sufficient frequency to create a new &quot;environment&quot;, as opposed to seemingly random and acute assaults on the mechanical integrity of the tissue. The downside of taking a week of rest every time you load a muscle is that many of the acute responses to training like increased protein synthesis, prostaglandins, IGF-1 levels, and mRNA levels all return to normal in about 36 hours. So, you spend 2 days growing and half a week in a semi-anticatabolic state returning to normal (some people call this recovery), when research shows us that recovery can take place unabated even if a the muscle is loaded again in 48 hours. So true anabolism from loading only lasts 2 days at best once the load is removed. The rest of the time you are simply balancing nitrogen retention without adding to it. </div>

Laymen's retarded terms- You need to exercise your muscles fairly frequently in order to stimulate hypertrophy, most studies have determined 2 to 3 days /week to be optimal.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
3) Progressive Load
Over time, the tissue adapts and becomes resistant to the damaging effects of mechanical load. This adaptation (resistance to the stimulus) can happen in as little as 48 hours (Repeated Bout Effect or Rapid Training Effect). As this happens, hypertrophy will stop, though neural and metabolic adaptations can and may continue. As opposed to hypertrophy, the foundation for the development of strength is neuromuscular in nature. Increases in strength from resistance exercise have been attributed to several neural adaptations including altered recruitment patterns, rate coding, motor unit synchronization, reflex potentiation, prime mover antagonist activity, and prime mover agonist activity. So, aside from incremental changes in the number of contractile filaments (hypertrophy), voluntary force production (i.e. strength) is largely a matter of &quot;activating&quot; motor units.
</div>

Laymen's retarded terms- The muscles quickly adapt to a workout routine, you need to add resistance every so often in order to keep stimulating growth, HST recommends starting light and increasing the loads every workout or so until the loads are very hard.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">4) Strategic Deconditioning
At this point, it is necessary to either increase the load (Progressive load), or decrease the degree of conditioning to the load (Strategic Deconditioning). The muscle is sensitive not only to the absolute load, but also to the change in load (up or down). Therefore, you can get a hypertrophic effect from increasing the load from a previous load, even if the absolute load is not maximum, assuming conditioning (resistance to exercise induced micro-damage) is not to extensive. There is a limit to the number of increments you can add to increase the load. You simply reach your maximum voluntary strength eventually. This is why Strategic Deconditioning is required for continued growth once growth has stopped (all things remaining equal). </div>

Laymen's retarded terms- eventually your muscles will adapt to all the heavy loading and become resistant to the exercise to a point that growth is minimal or nil, so you rest for a week or 5, and let your body become less tough and less resistant to exercise, so when you lift weights again, your body will grow in response again, like it did before it became all tough and stopped growing.

All quotes are from Bryan Haycock, Founder of HST.
All laymen's retarded interpretation from me- (Carl. aka- Scientific Muscle.)
tounge.gif

Hopefully, what Sci has said has helped. Just wondered if you have read this very useful thread by Ectosquat? I think it's a very good summary of HST.

HST for Dummies

Hey...retards are welcome just not HIT retards who are looking for a web fight.

Hope you'll soon get a better brain wave and actually get a grasp of HST...not easy with all the brain washing out there!

Anyhoo...don't take it serious just be welcome...the other guys specially Sci-muscle have given you a perfect start up.

Happy lifting!
wink.gif

I remember three things:
Decondition (12 to 14 days seems to work for me)
Progress from light weight to heavy -- spread it out over 8 weeks or so.
Do full body workouts 3 times per week, more if you can handle it.

(To me, principle 1 goes without saying.)

<div>
(etothepii @ Oct. 17 2006,10:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I remember three things:
Decondition (12 to 14 days seems to work for me)
Progress from light weight to heavy -- spread it out over 8 weeks or so.
Do full body workouts 3 times per week, more if you can handle it.

(To me, principle 1 goes without saying.)</div>
Extras:
Add some drop sets starting in the 3rd week. (After reading about this recently)

After 8 weeks, excede you 5 RM, be it with eccentrics, 5x3, max-stim, or strength training.

It's not retarded, just difficult to grasp since it's so different from what most of us have done for years.

We think lift heavier every workout, do more reps each time, raise the weight again, keep the progressive resistance...well, progressing.

The same principal is used with HST, just applied a bit differently.

Simply find your RM for each 2 week training block, start lighter, increase the weight each workout until you reach your RM on the last workout then start a new block.

You will be getting stronger during each 8 week cycle and basically setting a new PR for the Reps being done every 2 weeks.

No different really than a PL who hits a plateau, drops the weight and works his or her way back up over a couple of weeks to reach a new level.

<div>
(Fausto @ Oct. 17 2006,06:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey...retards are welcome just not HIT retards who are looking for a web fight.

Hope you'll soon get a better brain wave and actually get a grasp of HST...not easy with all the brain washing out there!

Anyhoo...don't take it serious just be welcome...the other guys specially Sci-muscle have given you a perfect start up.

Happy lifting!
wink.gif
</div>
Who was that guy that came in here dissing everyone - most notably JV?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Who was that guy that came in here dissing everyone - most notably JV? </div>

Yeah...poor ass...he got missing...and you know what I totally forgot his name.
laugh.gif

Back