I need help!

mattb_25

Hey guys, I'm really confused right now as what to do about myself. I really need to workout and get a new body, because at the rate I'm going i'll be overweight in a few weeks..

A quick question before I decide on going with HST, is do I have to be strong for hst to actually work? I'm actually fairly weak and I'm around 190 lbs, but I'm more worried bout my size. Can anyone answer this for me please?

Matt

Your answer was provided now read about the method and implement it.

You will get stronger...believe me!
biggrin.gif

Matt, the effect of the 15's cycle on your metabolism is amazing. You could go straight vanilla HST or if your focus is more weightloss than strength or muscle I would tweak the program some to increase your metabolism.

Read the program as it's laid out. Expand the two week 15's to 4 weeks with the first two weeks being your progression to your 15 rep max on the last workout of the second week. Take the next two weeks to try and add five pounds to your 15 rep maxes on each exercise. If you can advance, then continue adding weight, if you can't go back down to your 15 rep max and then try to progress on the next workout. After two weeks of this, go to your 10's. This will be an amazing shock to your metabolism but will focus more on losing fat than gaining muscle. Once your body is properly primed, continue on with the 10's and 5's as is. You will be happy with the results.

Awesome thanks for the reply guys, I'll start this monday and hopefully get a journal going. I'm ready to change my life
biggrin.gif

Matt, I am a newbie to HST, and I am still learning after 35 years of pushing iron. I learned a long time ago, though, that strength is a relative thing. I remember when I first started lifting, I was thrilled to death when I had worked up to 135 on the bar for a single on my bench. Years passed, and when I "retired" from powerlifting, I had a meet 465 bench under my belt. Point is, I was strong for that point in my lifting career when I hefted the 135, as I was at the point in my career when I maxed 465. You can only lift what you can lift. Work from there, embrace it, enjoy it. Give yourself strokes for what YOU accomplish. Doesn't matter what anyone else in the gym is lifting. Learn, learn, learn. Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember, this is supposed to be FUN. And welcome to the lifting fraternity. You'll never know a better bunch of guys...Jeff

Appreciate all the feedback guys, it really helps me get motivated. I do have one more question, so feel free to add to the discussion.

I was trying to find my maxes for my 15's last night, and everything was going good till about 3-4 lifts. I got winded pretty bad after the 3-4 lifts, and felt like I didnt really do too good on my remaining lifts.

My question is should I just raise my maxes on the 15's that I did while I was fatigued or just keep them at what I maxed at? And also can anyone give me a list of their favorite exercises to do with HST, and possibly a good way to find maxes for my 10's and 5's?

Thanks again guys for the help, cant wait to get through the first SD to start my real training!
biggrin.gif

While it's better to take time to work out all your RM's properly you can use one of the online calculators to give you a guide to your other RM's, provided you know a RM for that exercise. I used this one

http://www.weightrainer.net/mrcalc2.html

I'd go with your non-fatigued figures (you can always repeat a weight for a week or two if you find you are hitting failure too soon).

mattb: don't worry too much about the 15RM loads this cycle. When you get to your final 15s workout make a note of how you do in each exercise and adjust the load up or down for next cycle accordingly.

Finding 10RMs and 5RMs should be easier so I would try to find what they actually are the first time around by taking a workout for each. ie. do one session where you find your 10RMs for all the exercises you are planning on doing, and another for your 5RMs. You'll probably never need to do this again as you can just take your current RM loads and increase them by 5 or 10 lbs (depending on how you get on in the cycle) for the subsequent cycle.

As far as exercise selection goes, pick a good selection of compounds as a basis and then add in a few isos if you feel the need. The thread link in my footer has some good advice.

Back