I think my shoulders are pulled forward?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hung
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hung

For ages now i've noticed that my shoulders are slightly pulled forward. It might just be paranoia, but it's getting to me.
I think it might be because i'm lacking in doing back exercises.

General routine consists of;
Flat Bench
Military's
Bent over barbell rows*

Would that be my problem or is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

*I've looked on exrx.net and i think im doing the bent over barbell rows correctly. But i dont feel the "burn" in my lats. Is that normal?

Hung

I can sympathise with you, i used to think the same of myself...

I dont know whether its because of back row form, or just because i have got abit more muscle on my back now which may make me look like my shoulders arent as leant forward..

Bent over row can be easily performed incorrectly though ( i used to myself) untill i read how to fully engage your back muscles..

This may help if not performed correctly at the mo..start the movement by squeezing your shoulder blades together before bending your elbows and pulling back..this technique ensures that you fully contract the muscle in the middle of your back (rhomboids and lower traps)..

As for your lats..the bent over row doesnt directly work your lats..To work your lats use the lat pulldown machine or chin ups..

Some people prefer to alternate pull ups and rows between workouts but i use them both in every workout.

Your shoulders pulling forward and getting that hunched look is a shoulder mobility issue. Is this the issue you are talking about?

http://studentdc.com/student....er-pain

Squeezing the shoulder blades together when rowing will definitely help. It can be difficult to do properly though. Here is what I would do to solve this issue.

Stretching/mobility:
Shoulder Dislocates (shoulders in ears when elbow rises above shoulder)
scap pushups
pullup hangs or partial pullups (Partial pullups are when you start from the dead hang with your shoulders in your ears completely relaxed and pull with your lats but keep your arms straight. What should happen is your chest should rise as your scaps are pull down and together.) A modification of the pullup hangs would be to lean forward by placing your toes on something a couple of feet behind you.

Exercises:
Deadlift (Keep your back tight throughout and make sure you stand up with your chest up at attention (scaps back and down) at the end of the lift)
Press (Start from the shoulder and end with the shoulders in the ears. Starting position should be chest up with the scaps pulled together and down)

Look at:
Bench Press - Are you doing this properly? Again chest up, laying on your scaps, shoulders do not change position; lock out the elbows, do not bring the shoulders forward.
Bent Over Row - Pretty much what ratty said. The motion begins with pulling the scaps back and down.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll definately try the squeezing my shoulder blades together before i try Bent rows.

Hmm none of the links describe what i see in myself.

My shoulders dont feel like they are pulled forward as in "over the top" it's more curved forward from the side.

Imagine pushing your shoulders forward and bringing your chest in. For example when i bring my shoulders back a bit and push my chest slightly forward. I see a more "natural" look that i want to achieve. Makes my back/shoulders look broader/natural and my chest appear bigger also.

Ratty has some good points there. Lat pulls, chins and pullovers are good for lat width. Rowing movements do hit the lats but the load is shared more with the romboids, traps and real deltoids. Rows tend to result in thickness in the region. Getting a good squeeze in the shoulder blades and a brief pause at the top of the movement with a nice controlled descent will activate more fiber in the lift. But this applies to virtually any lift. My partner complained about not "feeling it" in his lats when I first started working with him. He speed through his reps and had very little TUL (Time Under Load) as a result. I slowed him down quite a bit on his rep speed. For rows I added bent over shrugs to his back routine. If you are not familiar with them you would lay facedown over a 45 degree bench with a heavy dumbell in each hand. You pull your shoulder blades together slowly and hold the contraction for a few seconds and slowly lower the weight. This really puts a great deal of focus on the mid back and lower traps. For latpulls I had him perform one armed lat pulls for a few weeks. This level of isolation really helped him develop a strong mind muscle link in the lat pull as he would tend to move the weight over the full range of motion thus activating more of the lower lat and obliques. When we switched him back to regular chins and latpulls this really translated well for him as he was able to get a better squeeze in the lats. He told me that the one arm lat pulls were the first time he ever had DOMS in his lats, ever. I suspect that slowing the cadence had a bit to do with that as well.

Our bodies and minds tend to follow the path of least resistance. It is easy to fall into just doing the motions. Sometimes it is better to lower the weight a bit and to really focus on the form and speed of a lift. You will find that you can get more out of a lighter lift with good form and a controlled cadence than trying to accelerate up a weight that is a little too heavy in bad form. Trust me here, you will be able to add that weight back onto the bar in short order. Cheating your form on your reps is really just cheating yourself and wasting your time in the gym. You are there for results right? So why not make every rep count as much as possible? Time under load is one of the best ways to modulate intensity. Try a two to three second cadence and see if that doesnt give you more of the feel in the muscle you are looking for. Count to yourself at the start of the set. Say to yourself "One onethousand" on the way up, pause for a halfsecond, then lower the weight over the course of "Two Onethousand, Three Onethousand".

I know this doesnt help much with your posture issue but hopefully it will address the second part of your concern.

Like bgates said, definitely get to work on some shoulder dislocates using a broom handle or similar. Keep at it for a few months and make it something you do everyday for at least a few minutes. Keep your elbows locked and focus on pulling your hands towards each other at the tightest point in the movement (in other words, actively contract your muscles against the stretch and actively adduct your scapulae).

After warming up with a grip width that is comfortable reduce your hand spacing until it gets hard again. Don't rush the movement; feel the stretch and don't be surprised if your shoulders, traps and rhomboids get pretty sore to begin with.

All the best.

<div>
(hung @ Aug. 20 2008,10:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the replies guys... Makes my back/shoulders look broader/natural and my chest appear bigger also.</div>
Squeezing your shoulder blades together should happen when you do the Bent Row. Its part of the core -&gt; extremity continuum. Since there is no actual hip movement in a strict row the first movement that occurs is pulling the shoulders back. This starts the barbell movement with the more powerful torso muscles before the elbows are bent. It is really the only way to move heavy weight.

There is only one mechanism for the shoulder being chornically pulled forward. Follow the instructions and you will fix the issue.  

If you can actively place yourself into the correct posture then you should be doing that all the time. Consciously place yourself in correct posture and reintegrate the habit.

<div>
(hung @ Aug. 20 2008,10:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My shoulders dont feel like they are pulled forward as in &quot;over the top&quot; it's more curved forward from the side.

Imagine pushing your shoulders forward and bringing your chest in.</div>
You seem to be describing &quot;Protracted Shoulder Girdle&quot; as shown on the bottom of the ExRx page in my previous post.

You need to do stretches to move the shoulder back, e.g.Broomsticks as LOL mentioned (details also on ExRx) or any of the others mentioned at the link I gave. And the recommended exercise is cable rows, but don't hold the protracted (forward stretch) position, so get your bum nice and close to the handle when doing them so you don't have to stretch forward too far. I guess other back exercises would help as well.

I just confirmed with my sister who used to do Pilates (to help her posture), she said her instructor said poor upper body posture can be caused by poor lower body posture, i.e. Lordosis (pelvis tilted forward) will often cause rounded shoulders etc as the body tries to compensate. So you may also need to add some leg/lower body exercises and stretches.

See these articles for more info
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand....rtID=41

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand....rtID=50

http://www.t-nation.com/readArt....=472224
(Go back to part 1 first)

<div>
(BenReffell @ Aug. 22 2008,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just confirmed with my sister who used to do Pilates (to help her posture), she said her instructor said poor upper body posture can be caused by poor lower body posture, i.e. Lordosis (pelvis tilted forward) will often cause rounded shoulders etc as the body tries to compensate. So you may also need to add some leg/lower body exercises and stretches.

See these articles for more info
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand....rtID=41

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand....rtID=50

http://www.t-nation.com/readArt....=472224
(Go back to part 1 first)</div>
i completely agree.

besides some people also have a natural pre-disposition to develope poor posture, and should go to greater lengths to improve matters.

Back