I think you guys are on to something here

Sparky

I just wanted to relate something on my rather limited experience with HST style training.

I stumbled upon HST about the time I had hit a wall in my typical standard 3 day split routine, you know Chest & Arms, Back & Shoulders, Legs, the whole body being trained once over the period of a week. Not super high volume but a lot more than HST dictates.

I had not trained for almost 2 years up until this spring and I thought I was hitting the wall kind of early in my workout poundages, things just weren't progressing as fast as they should have been. I could have put it down to the fact that I'm 46 now and things take longer to come back but that just didn't sit well with me.

I was ready to try something different so I embarked on HST. I did the first two weeks of 15's and learned quite a bit about myself and training in general. One is that your legs (and other body parts) can get sore from just two sets, and the second thing I learned was how much weight I could really push for 15 reps when I haven't pre exhausted myself with too much volume.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer for a number of reasons after the first 2 weeks I went back to my usual split routine and low and behold I find have broken through that wall that I had encountered earlier. And I mean shattered! I have found my weights to be increased in almost all movements and in some cases doing almost 100% more repetitions with the same weights in some movements.

Funny thing too is that over the past two weeks my eating and sleeping have not been good either and still personal bests all over the place. I can only attribute these gains to the two weeks HST training I did. And the 15's yet!.

You guys are really onto something here.

While I'm not certain if I will go back to strict HST training immediately I am trying to incorporate some of the principles into my standard routine. And I know if I hit "the wall" again what it is I have to do. My intuition tells me that frequency is one of the big keys.

P.S. If I were you guys I would keep quiet about HST and let everybody else bang their head against the wall.

Mark

<div>
(Sparky @ Sep. 15 2007,10:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You guys are really onto something here.</div>
Ya think...?
wink.gif

You were lifting too much volume to allow you to progress the weights and to recover sufficiently. You were over-training. I wonder why you're going back to that routine. HST is not strict. Instead, HST is a set of principles. However you apply them is your business.

Yeah...good to hear about HST,bt sadto see you go back to something that was not working for you anyway.

Hopefully you will notice that it is wasting your time...and no...we don;t want to keep it under wraps..I for one could shout it from the roof tops
laugh.gif

You can apply HST aslong as you keep the principles going!

Sometimes just a changeup can pull you into new territory, despite poor management and other things. That's why shock routines, done infrequently, work. But HST principles are found in other programs as well, which is why they also work.
(5x5, max-stim, etc.)

<div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 15 2007,09:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess I don't get why you would switch back to a program that wasn't working for you.</div>
Thats what I was going to ask as well.

So he try's HST and it works...but yet he goes back to something that didn't work?

Hmm...
rock.gif

But anyway, glad to see that you have learned how well HST can work - especially when coming to HST from an inferior program.

Back