I want to do HST

big daddy shane

Hi all,

I've been training DC style for the past 5 months, and have made some great gains. However I feel I'm starting to burn out, so i'm thinking of changing to HST. My problem is, I almost never work in the rep ranges HST recommends, and I've been doing a lot of machines (like smith and hammer strength) that DC recommends.

I never do bench press or squats (I don't squat as I'm tall and tend to lean forward too much)- I leg press and hack squat and these have put good mass on my legs.

I know HST recommends compound free-weight exercises. The following list is the exercises I've been doing for DC-

Chest:
Incline barbell press
Incline smith press
Incline Hammer Press

delts:
Dumbbell press
Smith machine military press
Hammer machine press

triceps:
Close grip bench press
reverse grip smith bench press
dip machine
tricep pushdowns

back width
rack deads
close grip pulldowns
hammer pulldowns

back thickness:
bent rows
bent legged deadlifts
rack deadlifts

biceps:
straight barbell curls
spider curls
ezi-bar (cambered) curls

forearms
hammer curls
reverse curls
wrist curls

Calves:
Standing calf raises
leg press calf raises
seated calf raises

hamstrings:
seated leg curls
lying leg curls
sumo leg press

quads
leg press
hack squats
horizontal leg press

As you can see, there's a lot of machines here, because machines are an integral part of DC (with the rest-pausing).

I'm used to doing slow, controlled negatives as part of DC, does HST use the same principles? Or only for the final two weeks of a cycle?

Also, how do I determine my rep range maxes? Is there a calculation I can use based on an 8-rep lift?

Any recommendations for exercise selection? Could I rotate two different workouts?

Sorry for so many questions, appreciate the help.

Cheers

I like the Hammer-strength machines, the range of motion is more circular (rather than straight, which is a bit unnatural) and the left and right sides are independent. There's absolutely no reason why a HST program can't use machines, its just generally considered that free weights load the muscle more, and are therefore more ideal for mass-building. Free weights also work the smaller stabilizer and synergyst muscles better.

So what'd you do is either pick 1 exercise per bodypart and do those 3 times per week, or alternate each of your selections for 1 day each (still working every bodypart 3 days per week, but with 3 different exercises for more variety). Both ways have advantages and disadvantages.

Negs are usually only done in the last 2 weeks of your cycle.

Big daddy

Peak is right, no reason why you can't use machines or even mix and match, HST is prefectly adaptable!

Your best bet is to choose a nice and simple program and do whole body each day, but if you choose to do A/B/C for M/W/F for 3 x week, that is also fine, provided you have proggression built in there, it is more difficult thoug and each exercise would only get progression every once p/week, still it is a choice.

If I were you I'd pick the best, throw those into one set program and try it out for one 8 week cycle.

Negatives are done from the 6th week on - slow and controlled are fine, the only prohibition is to not hit failure, also we define failure a little differently (considerable slowing of a rep or lack of form due to fatigue).

Calculators - haven't seen one from 8 reps but there are plenty around, do a search here, you should be able to find one!

Cheers
cool.gif

Squatting is one of the best. You can do it with machines if you wish. However, if you'd like to learn to squat - HST is the perfect opportunity, since we work mostly at submaximal weights you aren't pushing quite the same as with DC so it's a great chance to work on squat form with lighter weight.

I always had to do wide stance, paralell, low bar power squats because of my weak glutes/hams. I've learned now to olympic squat with HST and am going to the point where my butt touches the back of my ankles on every rep - and setting squat PR's with this method now - a new one every 2 weeks.

Again, not an absolute necessity, but if you are interested - now is the perfect opportunity. Just be willing to leave the ego at the leg press - squatting, especially olympic, is pretty darn tough.

Either way, enjoy HST. I just started it 3 months ago to recover from an injury with the light weights, now I'm hooked - probably because of the new 30lbs.

Terrific point Vagrant, I did not want to emphasize the point but got to agree there is no better leg builder than ATG squats.

Deadlifts too, olympic style are standard off the bat leg growers!

You will want to take 7-9 days off first. In my experience, you'll get NO gains if you don't deload the body before your first cycle. Enjoy.

Thank you for your replies everyone, all your advice is greatly appreciated. I'll definitely take time off as quadancer suggested, as I can see that SD is a critical part in the success of the program.

I'm thinking of rotating some exercises only. This is the workout I'm considering:

Bench press alt with hammer incline press
incline press alt with incline smith press
hack squats
leg press
bent rows alt with Bent legged deads
pulldowns alt with hammer machine pulldowns
dumbbell delt press alt with military press
bar curls alt with close grip bench press
calf raises alt with hammer curls

How does this look?

<div>
(big daddy shane @ Oct. 16 2006,19:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thank you for your replies everyone, all your advice is greatly appreciated. I'll definitely take time off as quadancer suggested, as I can see that SD is a critical part in the success of the program.

I'm thinking of rotating some exercises only. This is the workout I'm considering:

Bench press alt with hammer incline press
incline press alt with incline smith press
hack squats
leg press
bent rows alt with Bent legged deads
pulldowns alt with hammer machine pulldowns
dumbbell delt press alt with military press
bar curls alt with close grip bench press
calf raises alt with hammer curls

How does this look?</div>
That program looks rock-solid to me shane, you are obviously experienced and know how to piece together a kick-ass routine! Good luck!
smile.gif

Your program looks pretty good but I will throw out one that has worked well for me. 1 set of each. Substitute machines where desired.

DB Incline Bench Press
Close Grip Underhand Lat Pull Down or Chin Ups
Dips
Wide Grip Pull Downs or Pull Ups
Flat Bench Flyes
Seated Rows
DB Seated Military Press
DB Shrugs
Squats
Deadlifts
Leg Extensions (High Reps)
Curls
Smith French Press or Close Grip Bench Press

To compensate for less TUT, decrease rest between sets as reps decrease (the opposite of what most people will tell you.) Or, giant set the same bodyparts as reps decrease.

3X per week. I currently am experimenting with doing each rep range each week, i.e., M 15's, W 5's, F 10's. So far I find it personally preferable and less fatiguing and boring.

Back