ideal split?

Quentin

What is the ideal split, am and pm workouts or three days a week total body or six day a week upper and lower? Im lookin to get the most out of this cause im kinda stuck at 180 pounds. I have already gained 30 pounds and im really confused on how i should work out now and the volume of my workouts. i am into my third week of my third cycle and i have put on only like 2 pounds maybe. but i skipped the 15's. would that make a difference? If yall could help me out and give me some advice on makin this cycle better cause im doing 2 sets per exercise and thats it. no dropsets but i think i will now at 5's. also i do it six days a week upper one day and lower the next. i mainly do compound moves too with a few iso exercises. thanks.

Q, I don't think we can answer that question for you as it differs with each person based on their diet, goals, stress levels, sleep patterns, available time, metabolism, muscle conditioning, etc. etc. What you are currently doing sounds like a reasonable plan. However, don't forget to factor in that, since you have gained 30 pounds already, your maintenance level of calories is significantly higher than it was when you first started. If you don't up your calories, you'll eventually end up in a caloric deficit. A very common error than many, many people make.

O&G is right. You should be gaining weight no matter what you are doing if your diet is correct. The only way you would know your training is at fault is if the weight you gain is mostly fat, instead of mostly muscle. 30 pounds more muscle is a very significant rise in calorie requirements.

Check out the Eating For Size article if you want some more info. Also, savagebeast posted a great spreadsheet at this link that will figure out your calorie requirements for you.

thanks again guys. i eat about 3500 to 4000 calories a day with a lot of carbs and protein really a lot of everything. does that sound like enough. i started out really skinny so i know i have a fast metabolism. anyway you guys are right i hadnt weighed myself in a week and today i weighed 181 thismorning. and i had been eating alot so you guys are definetly right let me know what you think of my calorie intake cause i think it is enough.

It's hard to say how many calories are enough. It depends on your size, metabolism and your activity level. I have to eat around 4000 myself to make any gains and even then it is really slow. However, I've tried 5000 on workout days and 3500-4000 on non workout days this cycle and have made my best gains ever.

Try using the forumla to find out how much you need and start from there.

Back