Ideas regarding training twice a day

speedy5323

I read the section in the FAQ however, it doesn't really seem to provide a detailed method. I was wondering when training twice a day, if you should try to break it in half, one set of squats in first session, one in last. Or should one session focus on mainly isolation excercises, ie curls, calves, etc. The main reason for breaking it up is the fact that I do a separate abs routine, and this tends to push the workouts fairly long. Also, the gym at my school is open from Noon -8 this summer, judging that each workout will take a little less than 60 minutes, this is separating my workouts by only around 6 hours, is this enough time for two a days? Thanks.

Basically take your normal workout and cut it in half, but do it twice in the same day. So if you normally do two sets for an exercise, do one each time.
You could do as you say and split the routine up into compounds and isolation, but I don't think this would be as effective.
A six hour separation should be fine.
One question, why so much ab work? You aren't trying to spot reduce now?
sneaky2.gif

i was under the impression that you are suppose to do upper body and lower body splits...can anyone clear this up?

From the FAQ's

"To optimize HST a person should train twice per day. He/she should use 2 routines, and AM program and a PM program. Some exercises could be repeated but most should change from morning to evening. The normal progression of weight increments and reps to be followed. That is twice per day, 3 times per week. So still only train MWF but train twice on those days. I think I get a little more out of it when I do whole body twice. Although, I often split up upper and lower body when something cuts my workout short in the morning. Don't forget we're talking about volume too. The volume doesn't necessarily double. Just the frequency. "

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....13;t=15

Well this opens up some other questions for me...I hope this hasn't already ben posted somewhere (I searched but didn't find anything).

Why do 2 workouts MWF? Wouldnt't it be best to do one Mon-Sat? Or maybe... 1 wo Mon & tues, 2 wo's on Wed, and 1 wo on Th & Fri = 6 workouts total with 2 full days of rest (sat & sun)

Also, it sounds like it is best to have 2 seperate full body routines if possible? I would guess that you workout more often, but shorter workout times so you don't exhaust yourself. (ie 2 30 min workout rather than one 60 min workout)

To cut the routine shorter it seems you would only do one working set for each exercise (this for me does not give a good pump, would I then do 2 working sets?)

Sorry for all the questions, but I am starting a bulking diet in two weeks and want to get the most out of the routine!

Welcome jwbond!

Well vanilla HST is 3 times a week often MWF. Yes it is better to get more lifting sessions in the week -- more time under tension for the muscles, AND there is a metobolic effect. There are many ways to get the extra sessions in -- am/pm, 6 days a week with an upper-body lower-body split.
You can even go am some days and pm other days. It all depends on your goals and more importantly your shedule. Vicious addresses all this in his customizing HST thread.

Happy Reading

Bob :D

Back