Incorporating Upright-Rows

rcl-isr

Hello everyone.

I've been HST'ing for 3 cycles, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results I'm getting, But... I'm lacking 'width' from the side (profile view). Until now, this was my routine (a rather basic one, I think):

1. Squat
2. Inc Bench
3. Wide weighted Pull-Ups (or Chin-ups? anyway - the one which is working less on the biceps)
4. Ham Curl
5. Dips
6. TBAR
7. Shrugs
8. Shoulder Press
9. French Press
10. Biceps Curl

I thought about incorporating Upright-Row to my new cycle... what do you think about it guys? My plan is to stop doing the shrugs, and hope that the Shoulder press / Upright rows will develope my Traps / Shoulders / Middle Back (so that I'll gain some width there) enough.

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance - Yaniv.

Are you talking width or depth(thickness)?

Bent Rows or Laying Rows, bringing the bar closer to your clavicle will add depth to your upper back. (Hits Rhomboids, Posterior Delts, Mid and Upper Traps)

Upright Rows, bringing the bar to the bottom of the sternum hits anterior delts, lateral delts, upper traps. Bringing them too high (as shown at EXRX.net) puts more emphasis on traps than delts.

Hi dk :)
I was thinking about depth, but I used the term 'width' instead, so you're correct... My mistake  ;)
So... Let me see if I get this right:
TBAR -to my nipples- will work for my upper back? I'm not sure where the clavicle is...
About the upright rows - Got your point
thumbs-up.gif

And a more general question for you, if I may:
Let's say that I want to do Hst 3 times a week, have no more than 10 exercises at each workout, and want to focus on my chest / back region (I'm very tall and the measurements in my chest / back isn't good enough), and between the two (chest / back) the back is lagging... what would you consider as 'good workout plan'?
For the matters of things, assume the diet / other parameters are all fine.
Thanks for your time!

Addition: I'm talking about 'all back development' (just want my back dang big :)), and if you can - don't include deadlifts in your program. Thanks again.

Hi rcl-isr,

I have found seated rows help with thickness. Although they primerily hit the rhomboids, I have noticed my upper traps increase. This in conjunction with DB bent over rows work really well.

With pec workout's, try to incorporate some incline flys into it. This will hit the upper, inner section part of the pecs (inner being the muscle fibre closest to the sternum).

Another way to create an "illusional" wide topsection is to work all 3 delts with focus on the posterior (this tends to be the one that gets neglected the most).
The delt workouts should be in proportion with chest & back workouts of course.

Another factor could be posture. make sure you are working the chest & back evenly. If the chest muscles are more developed than the back they have a tendency to pull the shoulders forward almost "hunching" the individual. The back muscles need to be strong enough to keep everything balanced.
There's a lot to be said for a good posture!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Squat
2. Inc Bench
3. Wide weighted Pull-Ups (or Chin-ups? anyway - the one which is working less on the biceps)
4. Ham Curl
5. Dips
6. TBAR
7. Shrugs
8. Shoulder Press
9. French Press
10. Biceps Curl

Here's what I'd change to:

1. Deadlifts
2. Dips
3. Chins
4. Incline Bench
5. BB rows
6. T-Bar rows
7. Military/DB shoulder press
8. Leg extension
9. DB Shrug
10. Skullcrushers/cable extension (during the 5s only)

2 sets on 1-7, 1 set of 8-10. Make the shrugs explosive but maintain good form.

Back