Increasing volume?

dr_janitor

I'm doing my first HST cycle, currently entering week 2 of my 15's and loving it so far. I was planning on using Brian's recommended volume ie. 2 sets of 15's, then 2 sets for the first week of 10's, then 1 set for the second, and 2 sets for the first week of 5's, and then 1 set for the second week of 5's.

Is going from 30 reps per exercise to, 20 rers to 10 reps, and 10 reps to 5 reps going to hinder my growth? Should I plan on keeping my reps around 15 to 20 per exercise per workout?

I've read some different threads, but I'm still confused on the subject.

<div>
(dr_janitor @ Feb. 12 2007,16:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm doing my first HST cycle, currently entering week 2 of my 15's and loving it so far.  I was planning on using Brian's recommended volume ie. 2 sets of 15's, then 2 sets for the first week of 10's, then 1 set for the second, and 2 sets for the first week of 5's, and then 1 set for the second week of 5's.

Is going from 30 reps per exercise to, 20 rers to 10 reps, and 10 reps to 5 reps going to hinder my growth?  Should I plan on keeping my reps around 15 to 20 per exercise per workout?

I've read some different threads, but I'm still confused on the subject.</div>
If I were you I would stick with the vanilla HST routine and keep all sets the same for all rep cycles. Don't start modifying anything yet.
&quot;HST suggests that you limit the number of sets per exercise per workout to 1 or 2. This is based on &quot;some&quot; evidence that sets beyond the first &quot;effective&quot; set do little more than burn calories.&quot;

http://hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html ---sample hst routine

I had a question about the sets.

I do a light warm-up set before I do squats, incline/decline press and lat pulldowns/rows. Then I do my 2 sets. What I mean is I do a warmup set of squats, followed by a set a squats, supersetted with SLDL. Then finish my last set of each.

I view these two sets as my working sets. Should I be doing more to build up to these working sets? Start lighter and build up to my weight for that day? I'm used to doing this as per the one bodypart per day routine I am used to doing.

Thanks.

<div>
(dr_janitor @ Feb. 13 2007,16:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had a question about the sets.

I do a light warm-up set before I do squats, incline/decline press and lat pulldowns/rows.  Then I do my 2 sets.  What I mean is I do a warmup set of squats, followed by a set a squats, supersetted with SLDL.  Then finish my last set of each.

I view these two sets as my working sets.  Should I be doing more to build up to these working sets?  Start lighter and build up to my weight for that day?  I'm used to doing this as per the one bodypart per day routine I am used to doing.

Thanks.</div>
Just to make sure we're on the same page, a work set is whatever weight you have calculated you should be doing for HST. Any weight lighter than that is a warm up.

I never do more than two warm up sets (sometimes 3 for deadlift &amp; squat), some guys need more, some less. Keep in mind that warm up sets are not going to effect the size of your muscles or your conditioning, they are done only to prevent injury. Do what you need to be safe.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've read some different threads, but I'm still confused on the subject. </div>

I prefer to keep volume at 15, even if I have to cluster, just to get enough TUL, but the reason why Bryan suggest dropping one set is when the weights get real heavy.

I feel one set of 5's is not enough, others may feel different!
wink.gif

I have to do 15 reps with my top loads for 5s to feel like I've really worked my legs. It's just a feeling though!

I aim to do 20 reps during 15s and 10s and the first week of 5s (although this cycle has been harder because I am on low carbs/reduced calories). For the second week of 5s and post-5s I try for 15 reps with my top load and then I'll do a quick set of 10 reps with my 15RM load to finish up. That way I can keep my total work done increasing throughout the cycle.

I'll often use clustering to get the reps and keep fatigue low.

LOL, you forgot to mention using max-stim as an enhancing technique as well, I too use it for a lot of stuff!
biggrin.gif

Oops! Yeah, Max Stim is a great way to extend the 5s and get your required rep count
cool.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 14 2007,07:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For the second week of 5s and post-5s I try for 15 reps with my top load and then I'll do a quick set of 10 reps with my 15RM load to finish up.</div>
This is max-stim?

Is there a thread or a source I could read about max-stim?

Thanks

Back