Increments for negs?

Owndawg

How many % should I increase from workout to workout on the negatives-minicycle? and should I increase weights between the last workout of 5`s and the first of negs?

And on the exercises it is hard to do negs for, should I continue to do 5`sa and increase weights in the same rate as i i did in the first 2 weeks of 5`s?

The negs should be done at your 2 rep max. No need to increase the weight.

Stay at your 5 rep max for those that you do not do negs on.

From the FAQ:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There are two approaches to the progression.

- Select a load which is approximately your 2-rep max and do 1-2 concentric+3-4 eccentric reps for all 6 workouts of this phase. This is the easiest way and should be followed for your first try with the program.

- After your last workout of 5s, continue the progressive increments for each workout until you can no longer control the weight on the descent for 2-4 seconds. You may also vary the concentric:eccentric rep number ratio. E.g for the first workouts in the negatives microcycle, you may do 3-4 regular concentric/eccentric reps+1-2 eccentric-only reps. On the last workouts of negatives you may do 5 eccentric-only reps. This is for more advanced lifters, as the injury potential would be greater from the heavier loads that will be lifted.

- Blade</div>

I prefer to gradually increment the load. That way I get to find my new 5RM first for each exercise. Then, where it is possible to do negs, I keep incrementing and do a few concentrics first before going to pure eccentrics. I think this is a good plan. Otherwise, I stick at my new 5RM for a few weeks.

I would have figured you'd progress negs to your 2RM just like you do in a normal minicycle, starting at say 70% of your 2RM? And then after the 2 weeks just keep slowly progressing weight until your strength plateaus (going into pure negs). Makes more sense to me why would you start using a different principle from the rest of the cycle. Would be easier on the joints too after 2 weeks of heavy 5s.

I just ramp the weight up after hitting my 5RM. For example, with dips, I hit 115+BWx5, then my first neg workout I start with 125 and add at least 5 pounds a workout. Last cycle I ended with 170x5 for two sets

Back