info help

faz

my freind is cutting and his training is high reps low weights...i am trying to convince him that he should be lifting as heavy as he can to maintane muscle.
has anyone got or know of any studies to prove my point..cheers guys cant seem to find any.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

cheers fausto,but that is more to do with cortisol.
i am looking for evidence that lifting heavy while on a calorific deficet will hold onto more muscle than lifting light with more reps.

Faz, this is the only other one, from the FAQ e-book:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">23.1. Should I modify HST if my goal is fat loss?
HST should not be altered according to caloric intake. Although you will notice decrements in performance when calories and/or carbs are very low, the training stimulus will still be optimized when the program is followed as outlined. While calories are high, the program will optimize the anabolic effects of feeding. While dieting, the program will minimize the catabolic effects of starving (i.e. dieting).
In reality, nutrition should be optimized for the desired goal, then left alone regardless of the training regimen. HST principles optimize the training stimulus. Now, if you go on a fat loss diet and eat too few calories, HST will prevent as much muscle loss as possible because it is optimized for muscle growth. If you are trying to gain weight, HST is still optimized for muscle growth, so HST will ensure the greatest possible gains with a mass building diet.
Here is the only thing I would recommend as far as adjusting the diet:
The purpose of the 15's and early 10's is to flush the tissue with lactic acid and create and accumulation of oxidative byproducts in the cells. In order to optimize this you must be eating a fair amount of carbs. When you eat a lot of carbs the muscle will burn a lot of glycogen, creating lactic acid and producing the desired effect (enhanced tendon strength and functional oxidative capacity). When you get into the heavy 5's and negatives the carbs should come down a bit. Insulin sensitivity declines as muscle damage increases. I would say about 30% carbs during the really heavy weeks is sufficient to support growth.</div>

It seems a bit of a no-brainer to me. If your body grows larger as a reaction to lifting heavy weights then why on earth would you stop lifting heavy weights if you want it to retain muscle size during a cut?
rock.gif

Once you stop lifting heavy weights on a regular basis your body will naturally adapt to the new conditions you are imposing on it. In this case, the need to retain muscle mass will have diminished.

Ask your mate if his intention is to cut muscle as well as fat?!
biggrin.gif

cheers fausto ..lol me and you know its a no brainer but trying to convince others(is there a head banging smilie) its difficult trying to get some studies etc.

Whats his reasoning behind lifting lighter weights at higher reps anyway? Its still possible to increase strength whilst cutting which obviously youd want to use heavier weights to do so why would anyone start using high reps? from what ive seen its normally based on the myth high reps will get you &quot;toned&quot; or &quot;define the muscle&quot; they dont even increase energy expenditure more than heavier weights would so it doesnt make much sense to me.
Find out why hes doing it, its probably based on some false idea you could correct him on.

jonny thats exactly the way he thinks,i have tried giving him all the advise about lifting heavier will help hold onto more muscle,but without evidence its hard to convince him.
he has been listening to PTs
rock.gif
in the gym there attitude seems to be well if cardio burns fat then lifting lighter weights faster will also burn more fat.
nice one lol
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Well i havent see any studies comparing the different rep ranges and their effect on muscle preservation, but there have been studies comparing lifting at different %of 1rep max and the effect it has on metabolism.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hunter et al (2) investigated the influence of the resistance load on metabolic rate. Seventeen subjects performed a bench press a intensities range from 20% to 80% of one repetition maximum. They found that the economy of the weight training exercise decreased as the resistance load increased. This indicates less muscular efficiency at the heavier weights, and/or that stabilizing muscles participated more, which in turn will increases the energy utilization during exercise. For example, the subjects used almost 12 times as much energy (calories) doing one repetition at 80 percent of 1 RM as opposed to one repetition at 20 percent 1 RM even though work only increased by a magnitude of four. Within each bench press load (20%-80%) there was a high relationship between work performed and energy expended. This finding is in agreement with research performed by Kuehl et al (3) who found the caloric expenditure during resistance training correlates with the total weight lifted. Hunter and colleagues indicate those individuals who are interested in body composition changes should train at 60 to 80 percent 1 RM. The metabolic rate is higher at increased loads, thus causing a greater number of calories utilized.
</div>
Also
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The other factor to consider with the post-exercise is the fuel which is utilized. Strength training exercise tends to burn/utilize carbohydrate during the actual training session. However, after a workout more fat is burned to meet the energy demands of your body. The more carbohydrate burned during an exercise period, the more fat burned after exercise. Research performed by Brooks and Gaesser (5) as well as Bahr and Sejersted (6) confirm that the higher the exercise intensity, proportionately more fat will be burned during the recovery phase. Recent research at Colorado State University (7) examining the effect of a resistance training on postexercise energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate, concluded that strenuous strength training can elevate metabolic rate for extended periods, and that this enhanced metabolism is due to oxidation of body fat.</div>
The entire article is here with all the references etc
http://www.saskcoach.ca/index_files/StrengthMetabolism.htm

And:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Current research of resistance weight training and EPOC has noted a relationship between exercise intensity and elevated metabolic rate. As weight lifting intensity increases, the EPOC duration also increases.

Intermittent, high-intensity weight training appears to have the greatest effect on EPOC (Melby et al. 1993; Laforgia et al 1997)</div>
References and rest of article from:
http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/epoc.html

If he thinks its going to define the muscle or tone or whatever just tell him to do a google search on &quot;high reps cutting myth&quot; theres loads of articles on it.

Heres another, the high reps burn more fat myth is at the bottom
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

If someone wants to burn more bodyfat it makes no sense to be trying to make the workout more aerobic.

Back